Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)

KDIGGZ

Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which Rookie CB will have the best career? (Poll)

• Stingley
    • Gardner
    • McDuffie
    • Elam
    • Booth
    • Gordon
    • Other

I trust our guys to both evaluate and develop DB’s. It takes both. 

Where you land matters, and I think that is true for Elam as much as for a QB. I’m on team Elam here. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bills had 4 CB's with 1st round grades in this year's draft.  But which rookie CB do YOU think will have the best career?  Who you got?

Where did you see the Bills had 4 CBs with first round grades?  Got a link?

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Boy I wonder if Elam will win on a Bills message board lol

Yeah probably biased, but at the same time I trust our FO/Coaching staff to pick and develop good DB talent, also Elam has the best secondary around him and that could help as well.

• Agree 1

Team Elam, kids motivated, and we have arguably the best DB coaches in the league, 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Boy I wonder if Elam will win on a Bills message board lol

Yeah. I don't even see the point of a poll like this. Poll a team who picked one of the other guys and they'd win on their respective message boards too.

Pretty undeniable that Gardner was the most complete CB coming out of the draft.  I know Stingley went ahead of him but I still think Sauce is the overall best talent. 

Elam has the best environment to land in though. You can't ask for a better spot to develop and play meaningful snaps than Buffalo.

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Link?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where did you see the Bills had 4 CBs with first round grades?  Got a link?

I don't think it's ever been outright said. But if you take Beane at his word and read between the lines of his actions - it's pretty obvious.

It would be ridiculous to think Beane had a 2nd Round grade on Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley who were gone in the first 4 picks. So there's two right there.

Beane was patient, stood firm, and let the board fall to him as long as McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. The second McDuffie came off the board at 21, he started making calls to move up. I don't think this is a coincidence.

He stated he couldn't get a deal done at 22 and ended up pulling the trigger at 23 for Elam. Of whom he said was "the last player left on the board we had a 1st Round grade on". So that would be your 4.

Now if Elam was gone too and we went with Gordon, Booth, or McCreary do I think it's possible he still would have said they were "the last player left on the board with a 1st Round grade"? It's possible. But again, if we're taking him at his word - it sure paints a picture that he only had 4 CB's with Round 1 grades.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I don't think it's ever been outright said. But if you take Beane at his word and read between the lines of his actions - it's pretty obvious.

It would be ridiculous to think Beane had a 2nd Round grade on Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley who were gone in the first 4 picks. So there's two right there.

Beane was patient, stood firm, and let the board fall to him as long as McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. The second McDuffie came off the board, he started making calls to move up. I don't think this is a coincidence.

He stated he couldn't get a deal done at 22 and ended up pulling the trigger at 23 for Elam. Of whom he said was "the last player left on his board we had a 1st Round grade on". So that would be your 4.

He brought in Stingley, Gardner and Elam in for top-30 visits.  That says 3-1st round CBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

He brought in Stingley, Gardner and Elam in for top-30 visits.  That says 3-1st round CBs. 

We never got the full 30 list so we don't know that McDuffie wasn't brought in. But we do know they met with him at the Combine like they did Elam. And again, his being patient and then getting proactive only after McDuffie came off the board paints a picture to me that he was cool with letting the board come to him and taking one at 25. Though that's not to say he would have picked McDuffie over Elam if both were available to him. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/7/23059841/buffalo-bills-tried-to-trade-up-to-22-to-snag-cb-kaiir-elam-but-settled-for-23

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We never got the full 30 list so we don't know that McDuffie wasn't brought in. But we do know they met with him at the Combine like they did Elam. And again, his being patient and then getting proactive only after McDuffie came off the board paints a picture to me that he was cool with either. Though that's not to say he would have picked McDuffie over Elam if both were available to him. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/5/7/23059841/buffalo-bills-tried-to-trade-up-to-22-to-snag-cb-kaiir-elam-but-settled-for-23

I did a search and couldn't find anywhere that McDuffie was a top-30 visit with the Bills.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I did a search and couldn't find anywhere that McDuffie was a top-30 visit with the Bills.

Yes, but again, we never got the full list of 30. There were visits that weren't reported. And again, we held an interview with him at the Combine and were at his Pro Day. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Bills had 4 CB's with 1st round grades in this year's draft.  But which rookie CB do YOU think will have the best career?  Who you got?

This could solve an argument - which 4 had a 1st round grade by the Bills.

I have heard 3, but not this elusive 4th?

Edited by Rochesterfan

28 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beane was patient, stood firm, and let the board fall to him as long as McDuffie and Elam were both still on the board. The second McDuffie came off the board at 21, he started making calls to move up. I don't think this is a coincidence.

He stated he couldn't get a deal done at 22 and ended up pulling the trigger at 23 for Elam. Of whom he said was "the last player left on the board we had a 1st Round grade on". So that would be your 4.

Now if Elam was gone too and we went with Gordon, Booth, or McCreary do I think it's possible he still would have said they were "the last player left on the board with a 1st Round grade"? It's possible. But again, if we're taking him at his word - it sure paints a picture that he only had 4 CB's with Round 1 grades.

Maybe - Beane also said he looked as high as 20 - which was before the KC move.  Around pick 20 was where a move up cost a day 3 versus a day 2 pick.

If he only had 3 CBs with 1st round grades - that would explain looking as high as 20, but Pittsburgh went QB and didn’t want to trade.

21 was NE - not sure the Bills wanted to over pay as KC gave up a day 2 pick - which Beane said he wanted to avoid.

22 was GB and they did not want to move

23 was Baltimore and they were looking to move - so that fits.

It very well could be they had 4, but based upon visits and Bills drafting history with Beane - it is just as likely they did not feel McDuffie was an ideal fit and was not graded.

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Pretty undeniable that Gardner was the most complete CB coming out of the draft.  I know Stingley went ahead of him but I still think Sauce is the overall best talent. 

Elam has the best environment to land in though. You can't ask for a better spot to develop and play meaningful snaps than Buffalo.

The question on Sauce is will the Jets ruin him. I'm going to throw out a name most wouldn't but comes from a great college and drafted by a team that does at getting great value from draft picks so will go with Jalyn Armour-Davis.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.