Butch Byrd for the Bill's Wall of Fame

On 5/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, without a drought said:

I really don't expect any additions to the wall at the existing stadium. I would expect there will be changes when the new stadium is completed, possibly with a hall/wall of fame area.

I'd like to see Byrd added in the coming season. He will be 81 years old in Sept.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Buftex said:

Personally, while I am glad Saban and Gilchrist are there, was that really the Pegula's choice to make?  There are going to be a handful of guys who haven't been gone from the game long enough to have received consideration by Wilson, but played during his ownership...guys like Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams. Eric Moulds, who I think justly warrant consideration by Pegulas.  But some of the much older era players?  I wouldn't be upset to see them inducted at all, but I don't think it is an honor that anyone is entitled to.

Are you assuming the Pegulas made these choices?  I mean they own the team, so get final say. But isn't it far more likely they simply approved the recommendations given to them by a committee of some sort? 

I doubt Terry and Kim came in one day and announced they personally chose the new WOF members

Edited by The Dean

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I'd like to see Byrd added in the coming season. He will be 81 years old in Sept.

I would be it well overdue and very deserved if they did. But it is kind of weird, it was almost a yearly thing for a long time and it will be 5 years since Cookie was put on the wall.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

Are you assuming the Pegulas made these choices?  I mean they own the team, so get final say. But isn't it far more likely they simply approved the recommendations given to them by a committee of some sort? 

I doubt Terry and Kim came in one day and announced they personally chose the new WOF members

No, I was speaking more euphemistically, to distinguish the modern (Pegula era) Bills, and the classic era (Ralph).  My point was that Saban, Cookie and Byrd have all been gone long enough that it is hard to imagine that there was a reason that they weren't inducted.  As uninvolved as Terry and Kim may have been in choosing to induct them, I have little doubt that the original owner had a significant role in keeping them out. I am not saying the new owners are obligated to carry the same grudges that Ralph had, but I wouldn't blame them either for honoring Wilson, by observing them.  

Another player thar should be considered for the wall of fame is Tony Greene. He was an amazing safety during some very lean years. He had two seasons (14 games) with 9 interceptions and finished his career with 37 picks. He was always around the football and had one year with 5 fumble recoveries. He also made all pro. 

• 2 months later...

Tim Graham wrote an article in The Athletic about this topic earlier this week.

https://theathletic.com/3400741/2022/07/11/bills-wall-of-fame-butch-byrd-omission/

"Alworth was on the phone to talk about cornerback Butch Byrd not being on the Buffalo Bills’ Wall of Fame despite intercepting the most passes in club history, a record Byrd has held for 55 years."

"In 1970, the Pro Football Hall of Fame voted Byrd second-team all-time AFL. In 2008, he was inducted into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame. In 2009, he and Nate Odomes were named cornerbacks for the Bills’ 50th anniversary team."

"“I was invited to the ceremony when Mike Stratton, who was my roommate for five or six of the years we played together, got on the wall” in 1994, Byrd said. “I ran into Ralph and he looked at me and said, ‘You’re going to be up there next.’ I felt good about that, but it never happened. Then we had a celebration for the 50th anniversary team, and I was chosen as one of the top ballplayers. Wilson was handing out the trophies, a handsome trophy. But when he got to me, he couldn’t remember my name.”"

"Alworth, No. 55 on The Athletic’s NFL 100 rundown last year, had problems with the 6-foot, 211-pound Byrd’s bump-and-run jostling. “Butch Byrd was probably one of the best I ever had to play against,” Alworth said. “Sid Gillman, who was a legend when it came to passing offense, would say, ‘Lance, we don’t want you to go against him.’ I was, like, ‘No, no, no. I’ve got to play against him. I want to play against the best.""

So, Byrd has the most interceptions in team history (2nd to Tony Greene in int/game played, .41 vs. .43/game), is on the 2nd team all-AFL team, one of two CBs for the Bills 50th anniversary team, one of the best to go against Lance Alworth, had an interception in each of the two AFL Championship games the Bills won, ran a punt back for a TD in an AFL Championship, did not have a bad relationship with Wilson while Ralph could still remember him, but he's not on the Wall.

So why is it that the Bills organization is so reluctant to add payers to the wall that so obviously deserve to be there, Joe Marino/locked on Bills, just did a pod cast on the players that have been snubbed that aught to be up there, so what’s the deal with not honoring these players??? 

I want answers damn it! 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

19 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

So why is it that the Bills organization is so reluctant to add payers to the wall that so obviously deserve to be there, Joe Marino/locked on Bills, just did a pod cast on the players that have been snubbed that aught to be up there, so what’s the deal with not honoring these players??? 

I want answers damn it! 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

As someone else posted it likely has to do with some off the field issue with Ralph. 

As I posted earlier in this thread and the new stadium wall thread, there are several guys that deserve to be on the Wall that are not and a few that should never have been put on it. Kalsu should be taken down and given a different honor. You know no one will be removed but if they revoted guys like Ritcher, Ferguson, Smerlas, and maybe Talley and a few others would not make it over guys like Brown, Moulds, K. Williams, Moorman, and Jackson.