Butch Byrd for the Bill's Wall of Fame

Posted (edited)

I received this message from a friend from my old Hometown, of Watervliet, NY, which was also the original home of #42 Butch Byrd who was part of the AFL Champion Bills, from 1964-'70. Capital District folks, take note!

..........We will discuss the campaign for Butch’s name to be included on the Bills Wall of Fame.

IT’S TIME…..that George “Butch” Byrd is included on the Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Byrd

(Mods may need to move this post)

Meeting: Patrick’s Pub

606 Third Avenue Watervliet, NY 12189

Wednesday, May 11th. 6:00 pm

Edited by BUFFALOBART
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's way past time for Byrd to have his name added to the wall.  I have never understood why this didn't happen long ago.  He still holds the team record for interceptions (IIRC).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

How has he not been there for a long time? He was on the AFL all-decade team. Is Robert James on there? That's another guy that should definitely be on there.

I’m pretty sure James is on there. Have no idea why Byrd is not.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

How has he not been there for a long time? He was on the AFL all-decade team. Is Robert James on there? That's another guy that should definitely be on there.

Bobby was inducted in 1998.

Edited by K-9

Byrd did it all. Great corner and exceptional punt returner. Played a huge roll in our 1965 AFL championship win over the Chargers. Punt return for a td and a big interception of Hadl. He was amazing. Should have been on the wall a long time ago.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Absolute crime he is not on the wall.

He's arguably better than half the guys on the Wall now.

I would put him ahead of Smerlas, Ferguson, Talley, Tasker, Hansen, Edgerson, Ritcher, Hull, and Van Miller. I'm not trying to take away anything from those players, but Byrd was better and had more impact than any of these men. 

For years I advocated for Cookie. Byrd should go next followed by Aaron Schobel. 

Then consider Moorman and Fred Jackson as two other drought era guys.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Bobby? Bobby Jimmy??

Bobby is what he was known as to a certain 11 year old ball boy/gopher at camp up at NU. Lots of “Great play, Bobby!” shouts by teammates filled the air at the time, too. 

20 hours ago, without a drought said:

I really don't expect any additions to the wall at the existing stadium. I would expect there will be changes when the new stadium is completed, possibly with a hall/wall of fame area.

Hopefully a much deserved HoF will be part of the new stadium. 🤞🏻

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Byrd is more deserving than some already on there IMO 

This may be true, but there is a window of opportunity for these sorts of things, and I think that closed for Butch a long time ago.

He's just not on the forefront of people's minds these days.

I guess that's the point of this meeting; create some buzz and make him relevant again.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This may be true, but there is a window of opportunity for these sorts of things, and I think that closed for Butch a long time ago.

He's just not on the forefront of people's minds these days.

I guess that's the point of this meeting; create some buzz and make him relevant again.

The same was said about Lou Saban, even worse because of his relationship with Ralph.  Lou is up there now.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

You know, I am torn on this kind of stuff. 

If the Pro Football Hall of Fame voters were asked to go through the history of every franchise and choose that teams most deserving Hall of Fame candidates, no doubt, Byrd would be closer to the top of the Bills list than a lot of the guys who are currently on the Bills Wall of Fame. 

But, this isn't the Pro Football Hall of Fame!  It is a team honor. It doesn't seem to necessarily be an award for an excellent on the field performance. It factors in a lot of things.  Everything I know about Butch Byrd indicates he was a great player for the Bills...beyond that though? 

Ralph Wilson owned this franchise for the vast majority of it's existence.  For whatever reason, Ralph didn't prioritize honoring all the coaches and players that made this franchise what it is...he refused to honor Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist (two of the most important names in franchise history) for his own reasons... some of them probably petty.  Byrd played long enough ago, I can only assume there was a reason he wasn't honored during Ralphs' lifetime. 

The only people inducted since Ralph passed are Saban, Gilchrist and Van Miller, I believe.  Miller isn't controversial at all, and I think it is probably safe to assume he would have been inducted even if Ralph was still the owner.

Personally, while I am glad Saban and Gilchrist are there, was that really the Pegula's choice to make?  There are going to be a handful of guys who haven't been gone from the game long enough to have received consideration by Wilson, but played during his ownership...guys like Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams. Eric Moulds, who I think justly warrant consideration by Pegulas.  But some of the much older era players?  I wouldn't be upset to see them inducted at all, but I don't think it is an honor that anyone is entitled to.

Edited by Buftex