Jerry Hughes signs with Texans

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

There are a total of 25 players in the ENTIRE history of the Bills up on that Wall. There hasn't been a player between Phil Hansen and now that have gotten that nod yet.

And yes, that is how it works. Just like the Hall of Fame. Only the tippy top of different eras are going to make the cut. You might think him deserving. But there are many more that are more deserving that would be more likely to get consideration before him during his tenure with the Bills. And only so many (very few) are going to make the final cut.

Yes.

And yet Phil Hansen was no better than Hughes. Hansen also had zero All-Pros and zero Pro Bowls.

My guess is that Hughes is close but not quite good enough. But the same is true of Hansen, IMO. The two were pretty close in sacks, but there wasn't any Bruce Smith on the other side drawing attention away from Jerry. Nor a Cornelius Bennett rushing from outside Hughes. Hansen was a better run defender

1 hour ago, wppete said:

finland conan25 GIF by Team Coco

Denmark it down that he could be back from them Netherlands in Texas. Myself, I think it ain't a bit Faroe. Islands of civilization are hard to find in Texas.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, I’m saying he quit football 3 years ago 

And I'm saying 9/11 was an American government plot. and that the moon is made of green cheese.

Stuff happens. He might retire, there were rumors he was considering it this off-season. He also might get a contract somewhere. As usual, we'll have to see.

Edited by Thurman#1

53 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes.

And yet Phil Hansen was no better than Hughes. Hansen also had zero All-Pros and zero Pro Bowls.

My guess is that Hughes is close but not quite good enough. But the same is true of Hansen, IMO. The two were pretty close in sacks, but there wasn't any Bruce Smith on the other side drawing attention away from Jerry. Nor a Cornelius Bennett rushing from outside Hughes. Hansen was a better run defender

That's where Hughes being a Drought Era into the beginning of the ascent of Allen hurts him. Had he been here for 11 years and 3 Super Bowl Appearances like Hansen was - he'd have more of a shot to make it like Hansen did. As I think most fans would agree Hansen is a bit of a fringe worthy Wall of Famer himself, mostly there for being a member of the Glory Days teams and his 11 year tenure.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

I think Jerry should have a shot at the wall. I would anticipate Kyle is going to make it... after him the next two on the list for my fandom are Fred and Jerry. 

Hopefully there are more potentials among active Bills.... #17 obviously but potentially others too.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sad day. I hope Epenesa and Basham develop. I have more hope for Basham.

Not bringing back Hughes I think makes Epenesa a lock to make the final 53. He would be the 5th DE and a good chance to be a healthy scratch on game day. 

Hmm. In terms of skill sets and the way that McDermott has generally deployed his edge players I have the depth chart currently as:

Left Defensive End - Greg Rousseau - Boogie Basham - Shaq Lawson

Right Defensive End - Von Miller - AJ Epenesa

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, NewEra said:

I will. 💯 

Already plan on wearing 55 on opening day.  

What are you going to miss more?  Jerry getting swallowed up by O lineman, the penalties or his ability not to finish.  

I don't deny that Jerry has been a very good addition to the Bills but his play has declined and its time to move on.  

When the Bills are on "D" I probably won't even recognize that Jerry isn't in there.

It's nice that the Bills are no longer in a position where they feel obligated to holding on to players out of nostalgia or because they cannot attract free agents.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Jerry should have a shot at the wall. I would anticipate Kyle is going to make it... after him the next two on the list for my fandom are Fred and Jerry. 

Hopefully there are more potentials among active Bills.... #17 obviously but potentially others too.

GB- I doubt it my Brit buddy.  BTW, half my family names are British and the other half Irish.

Eric Moulds has a better shot and deserving over Hughes.  I love Jerry too, but I don’t think he deserves the wall.  The wall needs to be special and rare.  Kyle may make it one day, and would be applauded by all.

Lastly, I’m so happy for him he reunites with Addison, and can provide some much needed leadership to a hot mess of a team in Houston.  Lovie will welcome his leadership and maybe he has a good year.  His skills has diminished, but has earned the right to keep playing after a solid 9 years with us. He was a stable force on this team, and I’m sure the entire defense whos been here are happy he was

picked up by the Texans.  Bottom line is good for him.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

What are you going to miss more?  Jerry getting swallowed up by O lineman, the penalties or his ability not to finish.  

I don't deny that Jerry has been a very good addition to the Bills but his play has declined and its time to move on.  

When the Bills are on "D" I probably won't even recognize that Jerry isn't in there.

It's nice that the Bills are no longer in a position where they feel obligated to holding on to players out of nostalgia or because they cannot attract free agents.

His declined play is still much better than stellar pass rushers Epenesa, Shaq and Basham.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

His declined play is still much better than stellar pass rushers Epenesa, Shaq and Basham. 

False:

Hughes dressed for 16 games and had 18 Tak, 2 sacks, 7 QB hits and 1 tackle for a loss on 558 defensive snaps

Basham dressed for 8 games and had 18 Tak, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, and 4 tackles for a loss on 201 defensive snaps

Epenessa dressed for 14 games and had 14 Tak, 1.5 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 2 tackles for a loss on 330 defensive snaps

Jerry - heck of a trade for the Bills, was very good when younger and surrounded by better talent. Was solid when he had to be 'the guy' with with Kyle.

He missed very few games, stood up for the team. High character guy, productive for a long time but no all star. Good Buffalo Bill.

Hughes sniffed out Mac Jones fake spike and ate up the play for a sack in the playoffs last year.

Enjoyed having that moment in his last season here.

I wish him luck in Houston and hope he signs a 1 day contract to retire a Bill when it is time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

False:

Hughes dressed for 16 games and had 18 Tak, 2 sacks, 7 QB hits and 1 tackle for a loss on 558 defensive snaps

Basham dressed for 8 games and had 18 Tak, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB hits, and 4 tackles for a loss on 201 defensive snaps

Epenessa dressed for 14 games and had 14 Tak, 1.5 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 2 tackles for a loss on 330 defensive snaps

Jerry - heck of a trade for the Bills, was very good when younger and surrounded by better talent. Was solid when he had to be 'the guy' with with Kyle.

He missed very few games, stood up for the team. High character guy, productive for a long time but no all star. Good Buffalo Bill.

Hughes sniffed out Mac Jones fake spike and ate up the play for a sack in the playoffs last year.

Enjoyed having that moment in his last season here.

I wish him luck in Houston and hope he signs a 1 day contract to retire a Bill when it is time.

You say false and then ramble off some stats.  I could do the same, but they wouldn’t prove anything except what I’m trying to prove.  I watch the players play and use that as my player rater. 

How many times did Basham beat his man and sack the qb?  How many times did he clean up someone else’s mess to add to his stat sheet?  

We have DE depth…..but other than Von, none of our DE would be considered good pass rushers.  Not one.  

When compared to boogie, epenesa and Shaq, Jerry is better rushing the passer and as a locker room presence.  I don’t think there’s any question about it.  We’re counting on the lose guys to improve.  Let’s hope that they do.  If von gets hurt and the kids don’t take the next step, we can probably kiss the Lombardi good bye. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

Hughes was a big part of this team. When they were cleaning house in the beginning I was hoping they’d ship him away too. I have never seen a more unlucky player when it comes to officiating than Jerry. Whatever happened in the Schwartz defensive years I always felt Hughes made enemies with most officiating crews. To see that guy scream off the edge and be blatantly held for games at a time and never a flag was maddening. To see a 15 yard unsportsmanlike because he smacked his own teammates head celebrating a tackle was maddening. 
All that said that guy saved his career and did an amazing job after coming here. I hope him and Mario have great seasons for Houston and go out with a bang. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/11/2022 at 1:13 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Yes.

Denmark it down that he could be back from them Netherlands in Texas. Myself, I think it ain't a bit Faroe. Islands of civilization are hard to find in Texas.

sexy channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.