Jerry Hughes signs with Texans

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

Great Bill and future Wall of Fame designee. Best of luck, Jerry. 

Hughes was a good player. He wasn't really a leader. I see that some fans really like him, and I kind of wonder what is super appealing about his personality. Not that I didn't like him, because I did, but I just always felt like he was just one of Bills players, not some player that everyone loved because of his great leadership and personality like a Kyle Williams or Fred Jackson.

So, in my mind I don't view him as a wall of fame candidate at all. As a player he had no pro bowls or all pro seasons. He just played a lot of football. That shouldn't get you on the wall of fame.

Another guy I don't think should be added to the wall is Fred Jackson (because he wasn't a great player, just a good player on a horrible team), but I would put him on way before Jerry Hughes. I'm totally in support of Kyle Williams being added. There's another thread about Butch Byrd and that's a no brainer. There are a lot of players I would want to be added before Hughes.

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If I’m still alive when it happens, I’ll look you up and say I told you so. 

What is it about Hughes that you are drawn to as a fan besides just the long tenure that speaks to his worthiness as a wall of fame candidate?

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hughes was a good player. He wasn't really a leader. I see that some fans really like him, and I kind of wonder what is super appealing about his personality. Not that I didn't like him, because I did, but I just always felt like he was just one of Bills players, not some player that everyone loved because of his great leadership and personality like a Kyle Williams or Fred Jackson.

So, in my mind I don't view him as a wall of fame candidate at all. As a player he had no pro bowls or all pro seasons. He just played a lot of football. That shouldn't get you on the wall of fame.

Another guy I don't think should be added to the wall is Fred Jackson (because he wasn't a great player, just a good player on a horrible team), but I would put him on way before Jerry Hughes. I'm totally in support of Kyle Williams being added. There's another thread about Butch Byrd and that's a no brainer. There are a lot of players I would want to be added before Hughes.

What is it about Hughes that you are drawn to as a fan besides just the long tenure that speaks to his worthiness as a wall of fame candidate?

Aside from being a very good player whose career ranks with several others already on the Wall, and contrary to your assertion that he wasn’t a good leader, he’s one of the most well respected players that locker room ever had. He was a player coaches and teammates alike could rely on to answer the bell game in and game out during his tenure here. That steady reliability over all those years counts for a lot. He was also a great community guy whose activities he sought to deliberately down play. 

I agree entirely about Byrd, Kyle, and even some others that should be honored as well. But just because others are just as deserving of the honor, doesn’t mean Jerry isn’t. It’s not like he’s blocking anyone from going up there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

If I’m still alive when it happens, I’ll look you up and say I told you so. 

Jerry Hughes was a good Bill and I respect him and his tenure here. But he doesn't make the Wall. His era is mainly the drought era. When it comes to the drought era, we're not going to put up many guys.

Kyle Williams will certainly be up there before Jerry Hughes. Fred Jackson being the 3rd all time rusher for the Bills would go up before Jerry. Even at his own position - Aaron Schobel had just as long of a tenure as Jerry, went to two Pro Bowls (Jerry went to none), and had better numbers here than Jerry - and I don't think he's making it up on the Wall. So I don't know how Jerry does.

And when it comes to the post drought era - there's going to be so many above Hughes when it's all said and done and there's only so many spots on the Wall.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Jerry Hughes was a good Bill and I respect him and his tenure here. But he doesn't make the Wall. His era is mainly the drought era. When it comes to the drought era, we're not going to put up many guys.

Kyle Williams will certainly be up there before Jerry Hughes. Fred Jackson being the 3rd all time rusher for the Bills would go up before Jerry. Even at his own position - Aaron Schobel had just as long of a tenure as Jerry, went to two Pro Bowls (Jerry went to none), and had better numbers here than Jerry - and I don't think he's making it up on the Wall. So I don't know how Jerry does.

And when it comes to the post drought era - there's going to be so many above Hughes when it's all said and done and there's only so many spots on the Wall.

Again, other players being deserving of the honor doesn’t disqualify Jerry. Lots of ex players should and will be considered as well. Hughes isn’t blocking anyone. That’s not how it works. And I’d like to see others up there before him as well. 

As for the significance of the drought era that, too, has no bearing on anything. There are players up there who lived thru their own thin years on many poor teams. Jerry’s four seasons of being in the playoffs dwarfs that of several of them, anyway. 

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Again, other players being deserving of the honor doesn’t disqualify Jerry. Lots of ex players should and will be considered as well. Hughes isn’t blocking anyone. That’s not how it works. And I’d like to see others up there before him as well. 

As for the significance of the drought era that, too, has no bearing on anything. There are players up there who lived thru their own thin years on many poor teams. Jerry’s four seasons of being in the playoffs dwarfs that of several of them, anyway. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

There are a total of 25 players in the ENTIRE history of the Bills up on that Wall. There hasn't been a player between Phil Hansen and now that have gotten that nod yet.

And yes, that is how it works. Just like the Hall of Fame. Only the tippy top of different eras are going to make the cut. You might think him deserving. But there are many more that are more deserving that would be more likely to get consideration before him during his tenure with the Bills. And only so many (very few) are going to make the final cut.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/alumni/wall-of-fame

There are a total of 25 players in the ENTIRE history of the Bills up on that Wall. There hasn't been a player between Phil Hansen and now that have gotten that nod. And yes, that is how it works. Just like the Hall of Fame. Only the tippy top of different eras are going to make the cut. You might think him deserving. But there are many more deserving that will get the distinction before him during his tenure with the Bills. And only so many (very few) are going to make the cut.

That others are deserving and get the honor before him is of absolutely no significance. It’s just a matter of time.

There are significant differences in the process vs that for the HoF, chief among them being that the selection committee isn’t just comprised of media members tasked with making the political argument for a player’s inclusion. Various team personnel have input. Indeed, that’s one of the reasons guys like Byrd aren’t in yet. Current employees just aren’t as steeped in team history and tradition. It’s a kind of recency bias. 

Anyway, I’ll just agree to disagree and move on. Regardless, we can all look forward to the next inductee, whoever that may be. 

BTW, Cookie was the last player honored in 2017. But your point about Hansen is well taken.

9 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Missed 1 game but how many games did you hear his name mentioned ( when you did was for jumping Offside) way overrated IMO.

I agree he average 5 sacks a year nothing wrong with loving a player, but some of the hype is funny 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Aside from being a very good player whose career ranks with several others already on the Wall, and contrary to your assertion that he wasn’t a good leader, he’s one of the most well respected players that locker room ever had. He was a player coaches and teammates alike could rely on to answer the bell game in and game out during his tenure here. That steady reliability over all those years counts for a lot. He was also a great community guy whose activities he sought to deliberately down play. 

I agree entirely about Byrd, Kyle, and even some others that should be honored as well. But just because others are just as deserving of the honor, doesn’t mean Jerry isn’t. It’s not like he’s blocking anyone from going up there. 

Nothing you said there qualifies a player to be on the wall of fame. Being a good player and well respected should not be enough.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Agreed. Schobel was honestly a better player than Hughes too, and he will not make the wall. Hughes isn't going to make the wall either, and if he does, that significantly cheapens the honor.

It should be reserved for elite players with stats, accolades, and historic contributions to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, wppete said:

One of the great Bills on defense of all time on IMO. Sad to see him go but at least he goes home to Finnish his career in Texas. Good luck Jerry!

Norway he was gonna Finnish up as a Buffalo Bill. But it will be Swede for him to end his career in his home state.

10 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Sorry to see him go, a pro's pro.  

On the other hand, back in his hometown.

And reunited with Mario Addison for one last hurrah.

Jacques Cesaire DL Coach for Texans was Asst DL coach for Bills last 2 years.

I'm a bit surprised it took until middle of page 2 to mention Mario Addison being rejoined by Hughes.

Incidentally Hughes and Addison were teammates at Indy for two seasons so Hughes has now been on 3 teams and Addison has been on all three of those teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Missed 1 game but how many games did you hear his name mentioned ( when you did was for jumping Offside) way overrated IMO.

Not at all. He'd lost a step but was still very impactful.

I wish him the absolute best of luck. A great Bill and a fine person.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.