Jerry Hughes signs with Texans

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Willing to bet no Bills fans will actually miss Jerry on gameday.  Hasn't really made a consistent impact in the last two seasons.

You're absolutely right spaceman finally somebody else that seen what I seen. Most overrated defensive player in the NFL.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Jerry doesn't have a lot left in the tank. Great Bill but time to move on. 

Jerry and Addison are part of the youth movement in Houston. 

Have I mentioned how much I love Beane? 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

You're absolutely right spaceman finally somebody else that seen what I seen. Most overrated defensive player in the NFL.

The most overrated player in the NFL? LOL.  Oh man, this is epic. 

As is often the case on this board, this thread has become an argument of two extremes with the reality being somewhere in the middle.

Jerry Hughes was a good to, at times a number of years ago, very good player. He GREATLY overachieved his expectations when we traded away a bag of balls for a player who was considered a bust and being given a last shot with a change of scenery.

He was at his best when he was on the line alongside Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus in their Pro Bowl prime, while they garnered the most blocking attention. His intensity, leadership, and availability secured him a long term role on this team as a respected veteran

He was often considered a PFF analytic favorite for his ability to "win" at the line against his blocking. However, this stat somehow didn't equate to a large number of sacks, especially in his last few years with the team.

Ultimately, he wasn't as bad or overrated as some posters say he was. But he's also a guy who was never an All-Pro or even made the Pro Bowl. Some posters are truly overvaluing him, especially at this stage of his career. I will remember him fondly. Along the same lines and somewhere between that of a Phil Hansen and Aaron Schobel.

But if you watched us take a DE in 2020 with our top (albeit 2nd Round) pick, following it up going back to back at DE with our 1st & 2nd Round picks in the 2021 Draft, you were a fan of his, didn't realize what that meant for Jerry on the last year of his contract we didn't extend and didn't prepare yourself - you were living in denial, plain and simple. Especially after covering the slower than ideal development of some with the signing of Von Miller. 

The writing was on the wall since April of last year.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Nothing but respect here.  Thanks Jerry, for being a loyal Bill and a real pro.  Said a lot about you to me when you survived the (very much needed) McDermott purge - namely, that you played the game the right way and were a great teammate.  Lots of fun yelling "Huuuuughes" -- go get 'em in Houston and thanks for the memories!  Wishing Jerry the very best.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As is often the case on this board, this thread has become an argument of two extremes with the reality being somewhere in the middle.

Jerry Hughes was a good to, at times a number of years ago, very good player. He GREATLY overachieved his expectations when we traded away a bag of balls for a player who was considered a bust and being given a last shot with a change of scenery.

He was at his best when he was on the line alongside Mario Williams and Marcell Dareus in their Pro Bowl prime, while they garnered the most blocking attention. His intensity and leadership secured him a long term role on this team as a respected veteran.

He was often considered a PFF analytic favorite for his ability to "win" at the line against his blocking. However, this stat somehow didn't equate to a large number of sacks, especially in his last few years with the team.

Ultimately, he wasn't as bad or overrated as some posters say he was. But he's also a guy who was never an All-Pro or even made the Pro Bowl. Some posters are truly overvaluing him, especially at this stage of his career. I will remember him fondly. Along the same lines and somewhere between that of a Phil Hansen and Aaron Kromer.

But if you watched us take a DE in 2020 with our top (albeit 2nd Round) pick, following it up going back to back at DE with our 1st & 2nd Round picks in the 2021 Draft, you were a fan of his, didn't realize what that meant for Jerry on the last year of his contract we didn't extend and didn't prepare yourself - you were living in denial, plain and simple. Especially after covering the slower than ideal development of some with the signing of Von Miller. 

The writing was on the wall since April of last year.

This has been my stance for a couple of years now. Hughes was a good player. Anyone ever claiming he was elite or even a great player is just wrong. He had some good moments here. I'm really looking forward to the future development of the defensive line.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.