Jerry Hughes signs with Texans

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s so funny.  One of the best bills over the last 9 years leaves and there are “bills fans” talking smack on the way out. There’s something wrong there. 

At least it’s just the people you’d expect it from.  No class

Obviously a great person, wish him the best and thank him for his service, but you gotta admit he was a little overrated. He was a huge beneficiary of being next to Mario, Kyle, and Marcell. He was pretty average once the band split up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't rule out a return of Hughes or Addison at the trade deadline if things don't go as planned with the young DE's.

It's the perfect place-holder team.    They are basically stashed.  

So, the Bills would let them go and then trade for them back in the same offseason? Have they ever done that?

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That just goes to show how absolutely INCREDIBLE Bruce Smith was! 

Best of luck to Jerry moving forward. He deserves it, unless he’s playing the Bills. I hope changing his jersey helps him get some holding calls going forward!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Bruce Smith proved it was not right time for him to retire.

He did, but the Bills also made the right call there, he had one season in 4 with double digit sacks (10 on the nose) after he left, his first year.   He was up there in years, they got the absolute best out of him.   If there’s ONE thing Bellicheck has right, it’s move on a year too soon rather than 1 too late.  I understand his desire to play more and I understand the Bills not being willing to pay for it.  A rare instance where both the player and the team got a good deal.  

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

That just goes to show how absolutely INCREDIBLE Bruce Smith was! 

Absolutely one of the All-time greats. 

1 hour ago, Sestak4ever said:

Loved his passion for the game and for the Bills team. Got him in trouble with the officials a few times and I think it lead crews to look away when Hughes was being held or collared by an offensive lineman.

Either the refs held a grudge for a long time or this is severely over blown.  He got himself in some odd looking spots because he got low and tried to bend around the corner, but it wasn’t a hold every play like Bills fans want to believe.

• Vomit 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

So, the Bills would let them go and then trade for them back in the same offseason? Have they ever done that?

They didn't really let them go........they were free agents.

They would be half priced vs the cap at the trade deadline and probably only worth a 7th or something like that,   assuming the Texans are toast by then.

It's not something the Bills have ever done that I recall..........but not unheard of.    

Hopefully it's not necessary to add a vet at the deadline.........they were let go in the hopes of getting better at those positions.

16 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

Obviously a great person, wish him the best and thank him for his service, but you gotta admit he was a little overrated. He was a huge beneficiary of being next to Mario, Kyle, and Marcell. He was pretty average once the band split up.

I disagree.  Dude was held more than any player I’ve ever watched. He got pressures.  He forced incompletions.  He was a one man band rushing the passer for the last 5 years or so.  He got pressure and his teammates weren’t up to the task.  No one is saying he’s a HoF….just a very good pass rusher.  If you think he was less than a very  my good pass rusher, your entitled to be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He did, but the Bills also made the right call there, he had one season in 4 with double digit sacks (10 on the nose) after he left, his first year.   He was up there in years, they got the absolute best out of him.   If there’s ONE thing Bellicheck has right, it’s move on a year too soon rather than 1 too late.  I understand his desire to play more and I understand the Bills not being willing to pay for it.  A rare instance where both the player and the team got a good deal.  

Absolutely one of the All-time greats. 

Either the refs held a grudge for a long time or this is severely over blown.  He got himself in some odd looking spots because he got low and tried to bend around the corner, but it wasn’t a hold every play like Bills fans want to believe.

Meanwhile, in real life, not one Bills fan is saying he was held every play.  Nice poast.   Thanks for the informing us.  

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

I just don't see him in that class despite near decade long tenure here.

Solid player but has always been more of a #2 DE hence the reason why he's never matched the production he did in 13/14 alongside Mario Williams (and Marcel Dareus at his Bills peak for that matter).

100%.

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

Same along Kyle Williams and Fred Jackson. I wish we could have frozen those two and thawed them out for this run at the SB. 

Well said! There were some decent players during the drought, some not great, but gave it their all. Those two epitomized what I like in football players. Gave it all on the field and in the community.

IMO, Hughs was part of what really should be considered a legendary defensive line-- Jerry Hughs, Marcel Darius, Kyle Williams, and Mario Williams. The year Jim Schwartz was DC, they led the league in sacks, yet had the second lowest blitz rate. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

IMO, Hughs was part of what really should be considered a legendary defensive line-- Jerry Hughs, Marcel Darius, Kyle Williams, and Mario Williams. The year Jim Schwartz was DC, they led the league in sacks, yet had the second lowest blitz rate. 

That line was beastly. Pretty sure all except possibly Hughes made the probowl together one year. It was fun watching that game and seeing 3 bills helmets lined up in a row among a sea of other afc team emblems. 

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nine seasons in Buffalo .... missed ONE game.  Great Bill and I'm sad to see him go.

Exactly this^^^^ It’s nice that he can go “home” for his family but he will forever have a “home” in Buffalo.  A great Buffalo Bill for sure.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Nine seasons in Buffalo .... missed ONE game.  Great Bill and I'm sad to see him go.

I knew he was at least very “reliable”, but this is almost superhuman. That’s a combination of incredible durability, high character and plain old luck. You don’t realize it when a guy just shows up and plays every game, so that snuck up on me.  WOW! 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.