Jerry Hughes signs with Texans

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Loved his passion for the game and for the Bills team. Got him in trouble with the officials a few times and I think it lead crews to look away when Hughes was being held or collared by an offensive lineman.

And this happened A LOT if you paid attention. 

• Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Like Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, and Fred Jackson before him, Jerry Hughes should have retired a Buffalo Bill.  Farewell Jerry Hughes, and we thank you.

Bruce Smith proved it was not right time for him to retire.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Like Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, and Fred Jackson before him, Jerry Hughes should have retired a Buffalo Bill.  Farewell Jerry Hughes, and we thank you.

I just don't see him in that class despite near decade long tenure here.

Solid player but has always been more of a #2 DE hence the reason why he's never matched the production he did in 13/14 alongside Mario Williams (and Marcel Dareus at his Bills peak for that matter).

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

sad to see Jerry go, but it was the right time

He was a good contributor to the team for a long time, but I'm glad we've moved on from him now.

He stopped being an impact player several years ago.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't rule out a return of Hughes or Addison at the trade deadline if things don't go as planned with the young DE's.

It's the perfect place-holder team.    They are basically stashed.  

Good call.  

We’re banking on at least one of 3 young pass rushers making a sizable jump with their rush prowess.  As of now, we have one great pass rushing edge, 3 hopefuls and a run stuffing capped out depth player. If one of the hopefully doesn’t make that step they’re counting on, I’d hope Beane makes the call.

but let’s hope we don’t have to make the call and 1 of the 3  can be a disruptor vs the pass.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Fantastic for Jerry, great team mate and was a quality edition.

Bes for Jerry, he is from Sugarland Texas and can retire more or less at home.

One of the best trades Bills ever made.

Best of luck to him.

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Texans defensive line coach Jacques Cesaire was previously an assistant for the Bills and that may be a factor in Hughes choosing Houston.

Probably did but I think growing up in Houston had more to do with it.  

• Agree 1

Good for Jerry.  He'll be missed, but with (a) Von Miller signing, (b) having 3 young DEs in the fold, (c) Jerry getting on to the downside of his excellent career, and (d) the salary cap implications of signing Hughes to a potential backup role, it was time.  I wish him luck in Houston and hope he lights it up, so long as his success doesn't do any harm to the Bills chances.  I don't think it will.  I hope he got a nice payday - for him personally, and for the salary cap of another AFC team to take a hit.

Edited by msw2112

It’s so funny.  One of the best bills over the last 9 years leaves and there are “bills fans” talking smack on the way out. There’s something wrong there. 

At least it’s just the people you’d expect it from.  No class

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s so funny.  One of the best bills over the last 9 years leaves and there are “bills fans” talking smack on the way out. There’s something wrong there. 

At least it’s just the people you’d expect it from.  No class

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Bills will win the SB and I'm sure some "Fans" will complain it wasn't by enough. Jerry was a great player and a good citizen off the field. He will be missed.

• Like (+1) 3

This thread is about what I expected when I clicked.

Mostly classy, respectful comments by people that make me proud to be part of Bills Mafia. Sprinkled with a few snarky, mean spirited comments by a few people who, for some reason, seem to have a psychological need to be contrarian or rude.

• Like (+1) 4

Hughes was a good player for us for a number of years. I respect all the work he put in and it's sad his prime came before the team's prime.

We spent the last 3 offseason's preparing for his exit. Von Miller's signing signaled a changing of the guard in the Edge Rushing room. With everything they've done in the Draft and FA since 2020 - the writing was on the wall that he wasn't getting another contract.

In Houston, he gets to go home and quite possibly start. Though it appears to me that they aren't interested in winning many games this season, going with Davis Mills at QB. I'd imagine they plan on trying to land their next Franchise QB in the 2023 Draft.

I get loving long tenured players. But it's time to let go and move on. Long tenured players are moved on from teams every offseason. We won't be giving up a Draft Pick and making a mid season trade for him unless there is serious injuries along the Edge. So we really shouldn't be rooting for that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.