Most popular NFL teams in the world- per one survey .. Bills #2

CorkScrewHill

2 hours ago, Stads said:

The Texans being #4 craps on the validity of this survey

Them popping up on so many search results is just people in other countries checking to see if they're still an NFL franchise or not.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

and Canada 🇨🇦 

More than a third (!) of the entire country of Canada lives in southern Ontario, in "Bills territory" if you are a Canadian looking to find a "local" NFL team to cheer for.

So it makes sense that we would be super popular there.

I wouldn't be surprised if folks in Windsor cheer for the Lions, and the BC crowd cheers for Seattle.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I would bet it was because the Bills became a very popular team overseas when the Kelly led Bills were going to 4 SuperBowls in a row and I am willing to bet those fans passed it on to their kids and are probably very happy to see them back to being an elite team.

I live in WNY and we took a family trip to Boston-Providence-Hartford which was fun.  Have a friend from college who is from Providence and he made sure to tell me to go visit Federal Hill and the best Italian places around there(he is Italian). Also went to Warwick and Newport to go see all the crazy mansions which were unbelievably huge(especially the Rockefeller one that was over 61K square feet). So huge in fact that my entire 1800 square foot house could have fit in their foyer/entrance area.   

Happened to be there at the right time to see Water Fire on the one Saturday a month they have it on the canals downtown which was really cool as well.

I've been to Boston, Providence, and Hartford too.  Boston is clearly a destination.  Providence happened to be "on the way" but seemed like a cool city.  (And yes, Newport is an excellent place to visit and the mansions, the wharf, and the hike along the water are great).  I've been to Hartford a couple of times and never thought much of it.  I don't believe you can compare Buffalo to Boston on many fronts - the markets are just not similar.  My point was that because of the Bills, Buffalo is more of a destination than other similarly-sized cities/markets - even when the Bills are not playing.  Tying it back to the original post, while only one point of reference, I believe this survey speaks to the strength of the Bills/Buffalo brand, relative to other NFL markets (and relative to other non-NFL markets of similar size to Buffalo).

Edited by msw2112

I don’t see how this is good news.  I mean, if the Bills are so popular elsewhere, why do they need to Google search them?  It’s much more likely the high search rate is along the lines of “What the $&@$ is a “Buffalo Bills” (spoken in Russian accent). 

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Wasn't the joke on This Is Us that half the world thinks the Bills won 4 straight and is the best team ever cause they got all the Bills Superbowl Champs gear that couldn't be sold in America? 

That was just one of many common Bills joke in the mid-90's.    I think that sappy show had some kind of flashback aspect so maybe they were trying to make an era relevant reference.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

More than a third (!) of the entire country of Canada lives in southern Ontario, in "Bills territory" if you are a Canadian looking to find a "local" NFL team to cheer for.

So it makes sense that we would be super popular there.

I wouldn't be surprised if folks in Windsor cheer for the Lions, and the BC crowd cheers for Seattle.

True.  

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I don’t see how this is good news.  I mean, if the Bills are so popular elsewhere, why do they need to Google search them?  It’s much more likely the high search rate is along the lines of “What the $&@$ is a “Buffalo Bills” (spoken in Russian accent). 

Not true. I google “Buffalo Bills” all the time to get the latest online news publications. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Belgium_Bill said:

So the Bills are the most popular team in Belgium, which implies that :

(a) I am the only NFL fan here

(b) Somewhere out there another Belgian Bills fan exists - I really should try to find that chap (or girl) ! 

You'd better stop waffling and get on that.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Wasn't the joke on This Is Us that half the world thinks the Bills won 4 straight and is the best team ever cause they got all the Bills Superbowl Champs gear that couldn't be sold in America? 

I went to Zimbabwe and there was whole villages wearing Jim Kelly super bowl champion t-shirts

• Like (+1) 1

Here in Israel, cable TV became widely available in the early 90s just as the Bills were playing in the superbowl every year.  Israelis were unfamiliar with American football before then (the superbowl was televised for the first time during the Gulf War - Wide Right) so people who became familiar with the game as it began to be televised here thought that the Bills were a dynasty like the 60s Packers, the Yankees or Manchester United.

I remember an ad campaign for one of the cable TV companies, with billboards everywhere, showing a closeup action shot of Jim Kelly.

By now American football games are a staple of cable sports here, so I guess the Bills track record in the intervening years has dampened the Bills enthusiasm pretty much.  But my friends who follow sports all know about Josh and the New Bills, and they often congratulate me after an important win.

BTW 1PM games are Sunday 8PM prime time games for us, given the time difference.  

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.