Most popular NFL teams in the world- per one survey .. Bills #2

CorkScrewHill

They based it off of the number of searches for teams by country

3BD83410-231F-42F0-97F5-A62E5335D853.thumb.jpeg.ccd427d4399390425d7b78815410a4cb.jpeg

https://wyrk.com/buffalo-bills-popular-nfl-team/

using the same methodology (for what it’s worth) we were 13th in the US. 

Winning and having a baller QB does a lot for a football teams image

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Like (+1) 2

Interesting. So, according to this graphic, we are the most popular team (by internet search) in:

Canada

Russia

Poland

Ukraine

Belarus

Romania

Slovakia

Moldova

France

Belgium

Spain

Italy

Egypt

Algeria

The Congo (DRC)

(Apparently there are 4 more countries where the Bills reign supreme, but it was too hard to tell the others from that graphic)

TB has Greenland locked up. 😊

At first I was thinking, well of course, outside the US, the most searched teams will likely be those that are at the top of the NFL currently (teams playing for Super Bowls, etc.). Makes sense. Tampa with Brady and a recent Super Bowl fits that. So do the Bills, who are now a top team. But, if that were the only reason, why is KC only 6th? Where are the Rams and Cinci? And how are the Texans that high on the list? Dallas is obvious...they haven't been a great team in a long while, but somehow have maintained their marketing, and not just as America's team apparently. Though I am a bit surprised that Dallas is still "America's team." I always thought that was just a left-over artifact from days long gone by. But they seem to still be the #1 team in America (at least by searches)...surprising to me.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Stads said:

The Texans being #4 craps on the validity of this survey

All about the Watson situation.. remember this is based on internet searches. Texans seem like an outlier in this regard- mostly about the drama. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This survey/study is not the be-all, end-all.  It's just one data point.   It does show, however, that the Bills are a very strong brand.  In addition to being a great team with an exciting young, talented QB, I believe that the Bills' fanbase has a lot to do with this.  Lots of people move from city to city and around the world, but nobody retains and openly shares their love of their hometown and team more than Bills fans.  Throw in the table-jumping, ketchup squirting, bowling ball shots, etc. (I've only done one of these 3...) combined with social media, and it only grows the brand more.

Those who say the Bills stadium deal was a bad one don't fully understand the circumstances.  This team, region, fanbase, etc. is not llke all the others.  For example, I have numerous friends from other parts of the country who are not Bills fans (they are fans of their own teams), but can't wait to come to Buffalo to watch a game (preferably when their team is playing the Bills, of course).  These are all people with good jobs and money to spend, which they will spend on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, bars, stores, ride sharing services, etc. when they come to Buffalo.  I don't know people who are as excited to see a game in Cincinnati (a Super Bowl team), Carolina, or even New York.

I know a guy who lives in Wisconsin, and is a big sports fan.  When on summer vacation (the OFFSEASON), he chose to spend a couple of days in Buffalo with his family.  They went out for wings, went to the New Era store, and other places.  I guarantee that if the Bills were not in Buffalo, Buffalo would not have been on his family's radar for a visit.  The Bills brand boosts the Buffalo brand, which attracts tourism and business, even when the Bills are not playing.

I don't believe people are as interested in going to cities such as Fresno, Omaha, Tulsa, and Wichita, all of which have larger city populations than Buffalo or places like Sacramento, Providence, Richmond, or Hartford, all of which have larger metro area populations than the Buffalo metro area.  The impact of the Bills on Buffalo and WNY is very real and it's economic in addition to "emotional."

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, folz said:

Interesting. So, according to this graphic, we are the most popular team (by internet search) in:

Canada

Russia

Poland

Ukraine

Belarus

Romania

Slovakia

Moldova

France

Belgium

Spain

Italy

Egypt

Algeria

The Congo (DRC)

(Apparently there are 4 more countries where the Bills reign supreme, but it was too hard to tell the others from that graphic)

TB has Greenland locked up. 😊

At first I was thinking, well of course, outside the US, the most searched teams will likely be those that are at the top of the NFL currently (teams playing for Super Bowls, etc.). Makes sense. Tampa with Brady and a recent Super Bowl fits that. So do the Bills, who are now a top team. But, if that were the only reason, why is KC only 6th? Where are the Rams and Cinci? And how are the Texans that high on the list? Dallas is obvious...they haven't been a great team in a long while, but somehow have maintained their marketing, and not just as America's team apparently. Though I am a bit surprised that Dallas is still "America's team." I always thought that was just a left-over artifact from days long gone by. But they seem to still be the #1 team in America (at least by searches)...surprising to me.

I would bet it was because the Bills became a very popular team overseas when the Kelly led Bills were going to 4 SuperBowls in a row and I am willing to bet those fans passed it on to their kids and are probably very happy to see them back to being an elite team.

27 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

This survey/study is not the be-all, end-all.  It's just one data point.   It does show, however, that the Bills are a very strong brand.  In addition to being a great team with an exciting young, talented QB, I believe that the Bills' fanbase has a lot to do with this.  Lots of people move from city to city and around the world, but nobody retains and openly shares their love of their hometown and team more than Bills fans.  Thrown in the table-jumping, ketchup squirting, bowling ball shots, etc. (I've only done one of these 3...) combined with social media, and it only grows the brand more.

Those who say the Bills stadium deal was a bad one don't fully understand the circumstances.  This team, region, fanbase, etc. is not llke all the others.  For example, I have numerous friends from other parts of the country who are not Bills fans (they are fans of their own teams), but can't wait to come to Buffalo to watch a game (preferably when their team is playing the Bills, of course).  These are all people with good jobs and money to spend, which they will spend on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, bars, stores, ride sharing services, etc. when they come to Buffalo.  I don't know people who are as excited to see a game in Cincinnati (a Super Bowl team), Carolina, or even New York.

I know a guy who lives in Wisconsin, but is a big sports fan.  When on summer vacation (the OFFSEASON), he chose to spend a couple of days in Buffalo with his family.  They went to the wing places, went to the New Era store and other places.  I guarantee that if the Bills were not in Buffalo, Buffalo would not have been on his family's radar for a visit.  The Bills brand boosts the Buffalo brand, which attracts tourism and business, even when the Bills are not playing.

I don't believe people are as interested in going to cities such as Fresno, Omaha, Tulsa, and Wichita, all of which have larger city populations than Buffalo or places like Sacramento, Providence, Richmond, or Hartford, all of which have larger metro area populations than the Buffalo metro area.  The impact of the Bills on Buffalo and WNY is very real and it's economic in addition to "emotional."

I live in WNY and we took a family trip to Boston-Providence-Hartford which was fun.  Have a friend from college who is from Providence and he made sure to tell me to go visit Federal Hill and the best Italian places around there(he is Italian). Also went to Warwick and Newport to go see all the crazy mansions which were unbelievably huge(especially the Rockefeller one that was over 61K square feet). So huge in fact that my entire 1800 square foot house could have fit in their foyer/entrance area.   

Happened to be there at the right time to see Water Fire on the one Saturday a month they have it on the canals downtown which was really cool as well.

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Stads said:

I'd guess it was people doing a search after reading about the Watson scandal. I do think it's likely the Bills are #1 in Canada again when you combine the band-wagoners & the core fan base up here.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I would bet it was because the Bills became a very popular team overseas when the Kelly led Bills were going to 4 SuperBowls in a row and I am willing to bet those fans passed it on to their kids and are probably very happy to see them back to being an elite team.

I would bet its because Bills fans digest a lot more content from Russian troll farms than other fanbases.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Great!  We are #1 in Russia.   Heavy sarcasm. 

Maybe we can get a game in Moscow next year

1 hour ago, Stads said:

Probably goes along with the American Cowboy lore that is popular around the world.  Cowboys are likely 3rd for that reason. 

Interesting to see the level of interest in Eastern Europe, particularly in the former Soviet Bloc countries.  I wonder if it's because our peak period of success coincided with the fall of the Berlin Wall/Communism?

Edited by TheBrownBear

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.