Trent McDuffie vs Kaiir Elam

On 5/12/2022 at 7:18 AM, Billl said:

It’s entirely possible that Beane wanted Elam but figured that most teams had McDuffie ranked higher.  If that’s the case, Beane likely wasn’t worried about getting jumped by a team seeking a CB because that team would probably be targeting McDuffie.  Once McDuffie was taken, Elam would then be the likely target of teams, so Beane moved up and grabbed him.

This

• Like (+1) 1

It seems fairly obvious that one of two scenarios happend, either:

A)The bills wanted Elam and the urgency in the room was because they were afraid chiefs were taking him or they realized they needed to move up to ensure they got Elam after cheifs likley selection of Mcduffie or

B) the Bills Wanted either Elam or Mcduffie as a 1A/1B situation and felt they needed to trade up to ensure they got one of them after the chiefs likely selction of a corner.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Note on Rousseau being their guy last year, there is stuff out there that the Bills were going to draft Eric Stokes at 30 and GB took him at 29. So I am not sold 100% that Rousseau was totally their guy. I think he was their guy once Stokes was gone. 

I think their guys were Stokes and Basham. Once they took Rousseau they still took Basham anyway because that was their oringinal plan in the 2nd. JMO

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/9/2022 at 5:45 PM, FFadpecr said:

It's obvious that Belichick allowed the Chiefs to trade up with them to jump the Bills for McDuffie. Belichick knows the Bills scheme and knew the Bills wanted McDuffie. McDuffie was a seamless, perfect scheme fit for the Zone-heavy scheme the Bills run. McDuffie is already elite at playing Off Coverage; Elam is a projection in that regard. Elam also has a huge hole in his game; he is very bad at tackling (so so so many instances on tape of Elam whiffing on tackles)

If both McDuffie and Elam were on the board at 25, I'm 98% sure Beane would have selected McDuffie. Once he got jumped, however, he had no choice but to trade up to make sure he got the next best guy at CB. But still, the Bills missed out on the guy they truly wanted.

So the question is, how much worse than McDuffie is Elam? Big dropoff, little dropoff, about the same? Is it even possible that Elam becomes the better player? 

Has anyone here compared these 2 players? I was curious what you thought.

I’m 98% sure that this is pure speculation 

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Note on Rousseau being their guy last year, there is stuff out there that the Bills were going to draft Eric Stokes at 30 and GB took him at 29.

I hadn't heard the Stokes stuff... and personally I wasn't super high on him but the Bills liking a long armed corner. Who'da thunk it?

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, Rigotz said:

I think you’re making a lot of assumptions here and I don’t necessarily agree.

The Bills run a press man zone scheme. You know what’s a really bad quality to have in press man zone? Short arms. It makes it very difficult to control the WR at the line because you become easily overpowered.

McDuffie is a great cover corner - vastly superior in Man Cover at short distances, so I’m not surprised he was drafted first. However, Elam is actually a superior scheme fit for the Bills.

The rankings specific to the Bills scheme probably went:

- Sauce

- Stingley

- Booth (injured)

- Elam

- McDuffie

My guess is we traded up when McDuffie was taken because there was a steep dropoff after Elam. I also think this has absolutely nothing to do with Belichick. He traded out because he wanted more picks… had zero to do with wanting the Bills to not get a specific corner - that’s insane.

Vastly superior? One of Elams strengths is his press coverage whereas McDuffie is a zone cover guy. Elam simply wasn't asked to play zone much in Florida. 

44 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Vastly superior? One of Elams strengths is his press coverage whereas McDuffie is a zone cover guy. Elam simply wasn't asked to play zone much in Florida. 

Elam played both at Florida. He played man, he played zone, he played press and he played off. McDuffie did bits of everything too. I don't think it came down to experience in one scheme or other. I think it came down to physical profile in terms of how the Bills run it. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Elam played both at Florida. He played man, he played zone, he played press and he played off. McDuffie did bits of everything too. I don't think it came down to experience in one scheme or other. I think it came down to physical profile in terms of how the Bills run it. 

And The Notebook. No way Sean could resist once that was revealed. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott to Elam: “You had me at ‘notebook’”

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

McDermott to Elam: “You had me at ‘notebook’”

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sean did the “im gettin a chubby in 6th grade english” leg shake. 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It came down to only one of them being on the board.

• Disagree 3