Trent McDuffie vs Kaiir Elam

5 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I like the size and speed of Elam.  You can't teach size but Florida didn't prepare him for the NFL, I think McDermott will be able to help.

The funny thing is Stingley has had durability issues so he has question marks too.  I don't know what to think about Gardner however his level of competition is not at the same level as the SEC.

It will also help Elam to have Tre White across from him, covering the best receiver on the other team.

If Elam progresses and White regains his form as the season goes on, they should be one of the better duos this time next year (plus they'll have a Lombardi under their belts).

McD talked about being able to match them up against other teams depending on skillset. The bigger receivers who Tre has problems with in theory should be good matchups for Elam. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love this place

”mcduffie is better we all agree react to me”

We don’t know who the bills had rated higher. We only know the chiefs had mcduffie rated higher. We’ll see how it plays out. My feeling is McDermott gets the most out of his guy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's fair to speculate on who Beane and McDermott preferred of the two, and lord knows I do my fair share of speculating on this board, but none of us know who Beane and McDermott had rated higher.  As an aside, I've seen scouting reports that said Elam didn't shy away from contact and was a physical tackler.  He might  need some training on his tackling technique but that's doable.  Some CBs don't like to tackle, I don't know if you can fix that.

I don't know if McDuffie had a top-30 visit to the Bills.  If he did, did he bring his notebook?

Because Beane and McDermott were looking at that notebook Elam pulled out like Leopards looking at a fresh hunk of steak

FWIW Richard Sherman was quoted that the gaps in Elam's technique were all coachable/fixable

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

It's obvious that Belichick allowed the Chiefs to trade up with them to jump the Bills for McDuffie. Belichick knows the Bills scheme and knew the Bills wanted McDuffie. McDuffie was a seamless, perfect scheme fit for the Zone-heavy scheme the Bills run. McDuffie is already elite at playing Off Coverage; Elam is a projection in that regard. Elam also has a huge hole in his game; he is very bad at tackling (so so so many instances on tape of Elam whiffing on tackles)

If both McDuffie and Elam were on the board at 25, I'm 98% sure Beane would have selected McDuffie. Once he got jumped, however, he had no choice but to trade up to make sure he got the next best guy at CB. But still, the Bills missed out on the guy they truly wanted.

So the question is, how much worse than McDuffie is Elam? Big dropoff, little dropoff, about the same? Is it even possible that Elam becomes the better player? 

Has anyone here compared these 2 players? I was curious what you thought.

nice bait. Someone’s bored.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I also don't know who will be the better player.

FWIW, KC has said they plan to play McDuffie on the outside and expect him to more or less start.  That of course could change, but this is their initial plan.

20 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

nice bait. Someone’s bored.

Yes.  Here, debate which of these these two CBs is better.  They couldn’t be much more different prospects and one went a couple picks before we took the other.  Discuss. 

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I also don't know who will be the better player.

FWIW, KC has said they plan to play McDuffie on the outside and expect him to more or less start.  That of course could change, but this is their initial plan.

I’d have probably preferred McDuffie simply because of his willingness to tackle.  He looks like he is scheme limited to zone though. That’s a negative.  Still, he’s fantastic in it.

It's obvious that Belichick allowed the Chiefs to trade up with them to jump the Bills for McDuffie. Belichick knows the Bills scheme and knew the Bills wanted McDuffie. McDuffie was a seamless, perfect scheme fit for the Zone-heavy scheme the Bills run. McDuffie is already elite at playing Off Coverage; Elam is a projection in that regard. Elam also has a huge hole in his game; he is very bad at tackling (so so so many instances on tape of Elam whiffing on tackles)

If both McDuffie and Elam were on the board at 25, I'm 98% sure Beane would have selected McDuffie. Once he got jumped, however, he had no choice but to trade up to make sure he got the next best guy at CB. But still, the Bills missed out on the guy they truly wanted.

So the question is, how much worse than McDuffie is Elam? Big dropoff, little dropoff, about the same? Is it even possible that Elam becomes the better player? 

This is a lot of speculation. I would be surprised if Belicheat decided to trade just to block a player he thought the Chiefs would take that he did not want the Bills to get.  In addition, a pretty good sign of the Bills having an interest in a player since Beane has been here is the top 30 visits. Elam, Booth, and McCreary all visited (as did James Cook) .. McDuffie was not on the list (though the list I saw was not complete) .  Maybe McDuffie was on the list, maybe he wasn't, but to assume that McDuffie was the guy they wanted and Belicheat made a trade to thwart it seems like a guess at best.

• Like (+1) 1

OP, they play a lot more man coverage than you are thinking. Yes the safeties rarely play man to man but the CBs and linebackers play man coverage a lot underneath. McD and Frazier mix their coverages up quite a bit. They almost never go zero coverage - I can't think of a single play where they did off the top of my head. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d have probably preferred McDuffie simply because of his willingness to tackle.  He looks like he is scheme limited to zone though. That’s a negative.  Still, he’s fantastic in it.

Based on what I've seen Elam isn't soft or unwilling to tackle. He's just not great at it. A lot of corners aren't to be honest

Edited by CNY315

So the question is, how much worse than McDuffie is Elam?

This is called “leading the witness. I object!

I personally believe Elam has the higher upside, and I believe our coaches will know how to get him there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Huh???

I mean did you really just ask if it was “even possible” that a first round pick could “become the better player” over another first round pick?  Like what kind of question is that?  Josh Allen says hi.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Yes.  Here, debate which of these these two CBs is better.  They couldn’t be much more different prospects and one went a couple picks before we took the other.  Discuss. 

One has short arms... /end thread.

59 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

You are giving Belicheat too much credit. 

everyone knows the real reason the genius moved back 8 picks in Rd 1 was to deflect criticism for taking a 3rd Team FCS player at 21

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think it's fair to speculate on who Beane and McDermott preferred of the two, and lord knows I do my fair share of speculating on this board, but none of us know who Beane and McDermott had rated higher.  As an aside, I've seen scouting reports that said Elam didn't shy away from contact and was a physical tackler.  He might  need some training on his tackling technique but that's doable.  Some CBs don't like to tackle, I don't know if you can fix that.

Exactly!! We have no idea for certain what he'd have done.  The only thing I'm certain of it's 98% speculation!