Bills hire Texans Director of Personnel; Dennis Hickey leaving for NYG

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unless I missed the news somewhere, this must be a preemptive move by Beane to replace someone that Schoen and the Giants are going to poach for their front office since they recently dumped some long time scouting folks after the draft.

But I also share the concern that this might not even be a great hire looking at the Texans and what a dumpster fire the entire organization is right now.

Teams go thru cycles.  The Texans were not nearly as bad last season as the narrative pushed by many (on here and other places).  The team played hard every week, ended up beating the Chargers late in the year.  And almost beat the Pats as well.  Davis Mills has some upside.  Bill O Brien acting as GM and HC was not the best move by the franchise.  But don't forget all their players are getting paid also.  And they got Derick Stingley at #3 who is going to be a stud CB.  

Hickey leaving is another blow tbh. The Bills really had an all star front office for a few years there that they had a former GM in Hickey in a relatively low level position, but their link to him was Schoen who worked with him in Miami so it makes sense that he takes his guy to the Giants. 

The Bills are bringing in a guy Brian Gaine obviously knows well. I like Gaine a lot. Personally I think they should formally just promote him into Schoen's old role. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Teams go thru cycles.  The Texans were not nearly as bad last season as the narrative pushed by many (on here and other places).  The team played hard every week, ended up beating the Chargers late in the year.  And almost beat the Pats as well.  Davis Mills has some upside.  Bill O Brien acting as GM and HC was not the best move by the franchise.  But don't forget all their players are getting paid also.  And they got Derick Stingley at #3 who is going to be a stud CB.  

I get all that, just would have preferred we looked at a different team with a better recent track record but it's still ultimately beane ultimately calling the shots anyway regardless of this addition.

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I get all that, just would have preferred we looked at a different team with a better recent track record but it's still ultimately beane ultimately calling the shots anyway regardless of this addition.

You mean like how hires from the Bill Belichick coaching tree always succeed?

• Like (+1) 2

A good example of there's good people working for bad organizations is Jim Overdorf. Under the Wilson ownership and Russ Brandon leadership, Overdorf was more or less lumped in with them and viewed as inept. He has been a key person for Brandon Beane as they have transformed the organization.

I know nothing about Matt Bazirgan but wouldn't presume he is no good because he worked for the Texans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lots of quality folks work for dumpster fires. 

Not only that. They often get overlooked and so you can bring in some great individuals if you know how to find them.

There are talented individuals working for every one of the 32 NFL teams. It's not fair to judge every single employee by the foibles of upper management and coaching.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unless I missed the news somewhere, this must be a preemptive move by Beane to replace someone that Schoen and the Giants are going to poach for their front office since they recently dumped some long time scouting folks after the draft.

But I also share the concern that this might not even be a great hire looking at the Texans and what a dumpster fire the entire organization is right now.

Who knows how good he can evaluate talent?  His methods may have been discouraged and his recommendations ignored. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

And hired as a GM by another team next year 

Yep. We need to restock the shelves.

But, having a bunch of former Bill coaches and GM's will have benefits too. Beane will have inside knowledge into those organizations and will be more privy to players becoming available, etc.

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Who knows how good he can evaluate talent?  His methods may have been discouraged and his recommendations ignored. 

Even if they brought in guys he recommended, it is still an uphill battle for talented players to make a difference on really bad teams and organizations.

We saw plenty of talented players come through Buffalo during the drought, and it didn't make a measurable difference.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Is Gaine a white dude? With the way those compensatory picks are paying out, we should be searching high and low to find quality black dudes to fill the FO. Not kidding. If Beanes gunna have his own GM tree, how nice would a bunch of residual income 3rd round picks be.

Get dudes promoted 2xs in 2 years and we'll have so many picks we'll be wiping our arses with day 2 picks in no time 😆😆

Edited by BillsShredder83

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Professional sports are amongst the most exclusive jobs in the world, not just on the field but within the front office of organizations.  People who work at that level may not ultimately be successful but they are there because they have some ability.   Few are called and fewer are chosen.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Is Gaine a white dude? With the way those compensatory picks are paying out, we should be searching high and low to find quality black dudes to fill the FO. Not kidding. If Beanes gunna have his own GM tree, how nice would a bunch of residual income 3rd round picks be.

Get dudes promoted 2xs in 2 years and we'll have so many picks we'll be wiping our arses with day 2 picks in no time 😆😆

Malik Boyd and Terrence Gray who are by the org chart the 2nd and 3rd most senior people in the front office are both black. Brian Gaine is the Senior Personnel Advisor which sort of sits outside the formal structure, but the two formal senior assistants would both fetch comp picks of a team poached them. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Dennis Hickey is going to the Giants

Wait did he leave the Giants to come here or leave Houston or did we hire him but now he's leaving to go to the Giants? The title of this confusing as all heck. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Promote Lake Dawson instead then we he gets hired we get a 3rd round pick.

5 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Texans & Jets? Yikes! Only missing the Jags. Don't do it Beane!!!! Run away!!

It wasn’t long ago that the Texans were a playoff team. Then the HC won a power struggle over management and ruined the team (along with Watson getting into trouble).

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.