Different field goal holder?

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have to say, I have never in my life ever seen people so fixated on something like FG Holding, or even a punter in general.

I mean reporters have also been ridiculously focused on a punter ten times more than any other player drafted.  It’s almost always one of the first things asked to McD and Beane.

LET IT GO PEOPLE.  There is literally nothing to worry about here, the over the top obsession about this is utterly insane.  He will be fine, and as someone already pointed out, with the supposed god of ball holding Haack, Bass accuracy was only better by one FG over the not so good Bojo.  

I was thrilled when we drafted the Punt God because Haack is terrible, but Geezus why is this guy the obsessive talk of the off-season?  He is gonna punt the ball the fewest times in the NFL playoffs this year as it is, and Bass is gonna be fine with him holding just like he was with the crappy Bojo.  

Elam, Cook, Shakir are the guys we should be really talking about.  The are very exciting additions to this team too and will have a chance to impact the season even more.  Not to mention our revamped interior DL and Von Miller.  

Obsess over them 

It’s crazy that this thread has gone on for this many pages! So somehow the third string QB who had never held for kicks in his life is somehow better than the guy who is currently working to do it? All because of the very slight chance they may fake it at some point in the future? Like you said, if this is the biggest issue people have, guess that’s a good thing!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I have to say, I have never in my life ever seen people so fixated on something like FG Holding, or even a punter in general.

I mean reporters have also been ridiculously focused on a punter ten times more than any other player drafted.  It’s almost always one of the first things asked to McD and Beane.

LET IT GO PEOPLE.  There is literally nothing to worry about here, the over the top obsession about this is utterly insane.  He will be fine, and as someone already pointed out, with the supposed god of ball holding Haack, Bass accuracy was only better by one FG over the not so good Bojo.  

I was thrilled when we drafted the Punt God because Haack is terrible, but Geezus why is this guy the obsessive talk of the off-season?  He is gonna punt the ball the fewest times in the NFL playoffs this year as it is, and Bass is gonna be fine with him holding just like he was with the crappy Bojo.  

Elam, Cook, Shakir are the guys we should be really talking about.  The are very exciting additions to this team too and will have a chance to impact the season even more.  Not to mention our revamped interior DL and Von Miller.  

Obsess over them 

This obsession has kept me amused for a while now, but every now and then I think about responding like this.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

This obsession has kept me amused for a while now, but every now and then I think about responding like this.

What "Obsession"?  

What I see is people discussing having a punter, who hasn't held for FGs in person, possibly having a hard time with it. That's really the crux of the entire discussion.  Like most, I expect Araiza to learn to do it before the season starts. But don't make like it's a total non-issue. Beane himself said it's an issue!!!  And remember, the Bills want all their units to be EXCELLENT. Not just OK.

They also will be looking at his hang time and ability to keep from punting through the endzone on the few punts they may have from the mid-field area. Again, I'm betting Araiza will be fine. But a discussion about it isn't an obsession.  Completely dismissing it as a non-issue is simply ignoring detail. 

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

No way are they keeping 3 QB's for this on the active roster.  If it really came down to Araiza is terrible at holding, better chance they'd keep Haack for holding rather than start training someone else, or use someone else who's a core ST player.

I respectfully disagree Ed.  He has three months daily to practice holding.  That’s probably 1000 chances to improve.

As far as three QB’s it’s very plausible Barkley could end up on the PS now that they liberized the rules for PS squad players and can have at least a couple veterans.

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I respectfully disagree Ed.  He has three months daily to practice holding.  That’s probably 1000 chances to improve.

As far as three QB’s it’s very plausible Barkley could end up on the PS now that they liberized the rules for PS squad players and can have at least a couple veterans.

I don't disagree with you at all.  I think he will be the holder.  My point was if somehow he was absolutely terrible like Lucy from Charlie Brown level bad, think there's be a better chance they'd keep Haack than bother training Barkley as either way it's an extra roster slot for a holder only.  In that case may as well use the guy who you know is very good at it.

Also agree with Barkley being on PS and yes with new rules could easily call him up.  But that still means using an extra roster slot on Sundays for a "Holder".  Which goes back to my point, may as well use Haack then just to hold.

But highly doubt it will come down to that.  Very likely Araiza will be holding come September.  Araiza also has too much hype to ever sneak onto PS so he will make the roster.

Does bring up one question, has the NFL announced are the PS rules the same again for this coming season?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  I think he will be the holder.  My point was if somehow he was absolutely terrible like Lucy from Charlie Brown level bad, think there's be a better chance they'd keep Haack than bother training Barkley as either way it's an extra roster slot for a holder only.  In that case may as well use the guy who you know is very good at it.

Also agree with Barkley being on PS and yes with new rules could easily call him up.  But that still means using an extra roster slot on Sundays for a "Holder".  Which goes back to my point, may as well use Haack then just to hold.

But highly doubt it will come down to that.  Very likely Araiza will be holding come September.  Araiza also has too much hype to ever sneak onto PS so he will make the roster.

Does bring up one question, has the NFL announced are the PS rules the same again for this coming season?

Now that I agree with except the team really wants to cut Haack to save the $.  He can’t punt worth a crap which is his real job as you know.

The Bills coaching staff now has five years of demonstrating they develop their people.  Look how Milano developed, Harrison Phillips who left but improved his skills sets and the list goes on.  I fully believe although had a nice laugh over the Lucy comment (can you smell what the rich is cooking) 😇.

I appreciate you're clarification though as you know after all these years I respect you’re POV.

8 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Now that I agree with except the team really wants to cut Haack to save the $.  He can’t punt worth a crap which is his real job as you know.

The Bills coaching staff now has five years of demonstrating they develop their people.  Look how Milano developed, Harrison Phillips who left but improved his skills sets and the list goes on.  I fully believe although had a nice laugh over the Lucy comment (can you smell what the rich is cooking) 😇.

I appreciate you're clarification though as you know after all these years I respect you’re POV.

Agree with the development part, though it is much easier to let guys like Milano and Phillips develop and take some lumps early on as generally the  results aren't as catastrophic as a bad hold.  And also get a decent $$ saving going from Haack to Araiza  too.  Having said all that do agree 95% likely Araiza will be the holder.

I do wonder though if Barkley is on the PS how much will he be paid?  Will he get the required minimum or will he be paid more as there's just a minimum amount required, teams can pay more.  Would they keep him at the same level he just signed for??

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.