Different field goal holder?

7 hours ago, Offside Number 76 said:

I'm a big fan of using the backup QB to hold for kicks.  It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Yes, but as pointed out, the most important thing is correctly hold on FG kicks. This suffers when another guy is used. Practice time goes down a lot.

There's a reason every team in the league does this.

44 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

CAN WE ALL TAKE A SECOND AND PAUSE... SERIOUSLY. STOP WHAT YOURE DOING AND LET THIS STEEP.

Our current biggest hole on the roster, is the FG Holder 😆😆

This is like hearing Paris Hilton complaining that she had to drink a Dasani once lol glorious magnificence

Ease up dude…not saying it is the biggest hole. Do you really want just another thread on CB’s, Interior linemen or Edmunds? Thought this was an interesting conversation. If you’re not interested - just keep scrolling…

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, freddyjj said:

As mentioned here and in other posts on this topic, there are likely no position players who have any experience as a holder.  You are referencing the NFL of 30-40 years ago with Reich and Tasker.  After Reich left Chis Mohr, the Bills punter was the holder for Steve Christie - so the switch to punter happened over 26 years ago.

Are you sure about that?

I’m pretty sure that Ruben Brown was the holder back in the 1990s. 

I know that I heard he led the NFL in holding. 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, unbillievable said:

People weren't concerned about Bojo's holding when he was here.

Even if he was horrible, Bass' accuracy only changed by a single missed FG when he switched to Haack. (82% to 87%)

First, percentages between years can't be exactly compared. Maybe he was attempting harder kicks one year.

Second, a 5% difference on more than 30 field goals isn't one field goal, it's between one and two.

Third, we can't know which miss/misses were caused by holder problems. Was it the one in the KC game in 2020 where we lost by 9.

In that game we would have been behind by 6 instead of 9 when we got the ball back with 1:56 to play. Needing a drive AND an onside kick and a field goal, we'd have had a much much better shot at a win if we'd made that FG earlier. Instead of having to throw the low percentage deep ball to Beasley that was intercepted, there was plenty of time to march slowly down the field. There's an extremely good argument that lost field goal lost the game for us. It wasn't the only thing that lost the game, but if we'd made it, we'd have been in it with a real chance at the end.

Was that one of the ones he missed because of the holder?

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Ease up dude…not saying it is the biggest hole. Do you really want just another thread on CB’s, Interior linemen or Edmunds? Thought this was an interesting conversation. If you’re not interested - just keep scrolling…

Actually that was sincere lol how fn refreshing right 😆😆

Went from. Wow we oddly hsve 3 awesome rbs and JAGs at every other spot to... holder problems lol we made it guys

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Was thinking about maybe the opportunity is there, to use one of our other special teamers: Kumerow, Stevenson, or Taiwan could take on the PK holder duties. 
I recall that Tasker used to hold at for at least a couple years? And Frank Reich did it too?

was just thinking if that is such a concern for “Punt God” , there should be other options…

Does anyone on here know if anyone else on the roster have previous experience as a holder? I know some of you follow college football too…

12 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Maybe Matt Barkley?

This again!!  I'd suggest you Google why don't other players besides the punter hold anymore for field goals and read just a couple of the dozen articles you'll find on the subject.  I'ts not 1990 anymore, rules have changed WRT practice time etc.

Yeah Matt Barkley hold, another great idea, then we can have 3 QB's on the 46 man active roster on Sundays just to hold.

12 hours ago, Offside Number 76 said:

I'm a big fan of using the backup QB to hold for kicks.  It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

like not being able to run your backup offense or defense through an effective practice 

14 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Bring back Bobby Chandler!

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Where’s @Chandler#81? He supports this idea.

I have a call into the Big Guy upstairs as I type. Not really holding out much hope. Bobby’s been Jesus’ holder since he arrived back in the 80’s 😇

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This again!!  I'd suggest you Google why don't other players besides the punter hold anymore for field goals and read just a couple of the dozen articles you'll find on the subject.  I'ts not 1990 anymore, rules have changed WRT practice time etc.

Yeah Matt Barkley hold, another great idea, then we can have 3 QB's on the 46 man active roster on Sundays just to hold.

As for Barkley holding, it was just a thought , relax.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.