Different field goal holder?

Was thinking about maybe the opportunity is there, to use one of our other special teamers: Kumerow, Stevenson, or Taiwan could take on the PK holder duties. 
I recall that Tasker used to hold at for at least a couple years? And Frank Reich did it too?

was just thinking if that is such a concern for “Punt God” , there should be other options…

Does anyone on here know if anyone else on the roster have previous experience as a holder? I know some of you follow college football too…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

Used to be a QB, usually the backup.  Now, thinking out of the box, if JA17 did it, the threat of running or throwing for 2 would be real.  not gonna happen, just thinking out of the box.

from the 15 yd line?

• Shocked 1

If they are going to carry 3 QB's then Matt Barkley can do it. He won't see the field as QB3, so get some use out of him. He knows the system, seems smart enough to pick up any new nuisances of the offense relatively quickly where he can also practice holding and placement of FG's.

• Like (+1) 1

This has been done to death. With the practice rules now if you want it not to be a punter you are taking a QB or whoever else out of the game planning and install sessions for the game each week. Teams don't want to do that when they only have 2 QBs eligible because if your backup goes in and has missed the installs and walk throughs while busy holding that hurts. All 32 teams have had the punter as the primary holder for AT LEAST the last 3 years. I haven't been back further but I suspect this is true as far back as the 2011 CBA. 

The punter has to hold. He has to get comfortable with it. I am sure the 'Punt God' has already been working on it. I am actually more concerned with his hang time than his holding personally.

5 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

If they are going to carry 3 QB's then Matt Barkley can do it. He won't see the field as QB3, so get some use out of him. He knows the system, seems smart enough to pick up any new nuisances of the offense relatively quickly where he can also practice holding and placement of FG's.

Not without affecting your game day actives. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Was thinking about maybe the opportunity is there, to use one of our other special teamers: Kumerow, Stevenson, or Taiwan could take on the PK holder duties. 
I recall that Tasker used to hold at for at least a couple years? And Frank Reich did it too?

was just thinking if that is such a concern for “Punt God” , there should be other options…

Does anyone on here know if anyone else on the roster have previous experience as a holder? I know some of you follow college football too…

Haack is the other option.  The reps for kicking interfere with where other players need to be at practice.  The CBA limits practice time, this is why 32 out of 32 teams use their punter as the holder.   Just because BOJO sucked at it, does not mean everyone will.

The holding concern/discussion has been over the top IMO. Even saw an article in The Athletic with Brian Moorman talking about it. There’s far more chatter now than when Bojorquez was actively here botching his attempts. 

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

Used to be a QB, usually the backup.  Now, thinking out of the box, if JA17 did it, the threat of running or throwing for 2 would be real.  not gonna happen, just thinking out of the box.

1 hour ago, Offside Number 76 said:

I'm a big fan of using the backup QB to hold for kicks.  It opens up all sorts of possibilities.

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

No one has experience because with the new practice rules - everyone uses the punter.

There is not enough practice time for any position players to hold.  FG, Punt, Long Snapping - all get practiced and worked on at the same time as the rest of the team is practicing.

When guys like Tasker or Reich held - lots of back up QBs held - because they had unlimited practice time so they could stay after and hold.

It will be just like every other team and the punter will hold. One of the backups will get a chance to hold in case of injury, but other than that it will be the punter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.