Do you remember the first athletes career you followed from start to finish

Another Fan

I recall Jim Kelly, Thurman, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, and Magic Johnson from a pretty early age.  But they were all established in their game by the time I started watching sports.

Can you recall the 1st athlete whose career you followed from their first game until retirement?  Or if they just didn't pan out?  I can think of 2.

Bernie Williams- I kinda could remember his first couple games.  Some glimpses of greatness but hard to say how'd he fare over the long haul I thought.  Even at that age.   I still recall the thick glasses he used to wear back then!  

Kenny Anderson (NBA)- saw one of his first games in person.  Even then I could recall high expectations for him in the pros.  He had some game and not a bad career.  But I dont think ever really hit his full potential 

Edited by Another Fan

I always followed the Buffalo Braves as a youngin, but other than being a big fan of several players, i didn't really latch on to individual players as much as i did Football and Baseball.  Being a syracuse guy, Carmelo was the first one i TRULY followed start to finish.  Maybe Pearl, DC and Sherman Douglas, but Carmelo was on a different level even before leading them to the NCAA championship

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

You didn’t follow basketball until later on?

I only ask OJ to Carmelo is kinda a time difference 

• Like (+1) 1

and another thing, probably would have followed Melo, but just so happened my oldest was 12 or 13 when Melo arrived on campus and he was probably among his biggest fans, so that's probably why i went into adulthood with 'idolizing' an athlete

16 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

For me it would have to be the Bills career of Vontae Davis. I did not see the end coming though.

Who’d a thunk he’d leave after the orange slices were handed out? He was just in it for the fruit! 

• Haha (+1) 2

None really, as I was born in 1977 and started liking sports in about 1987 and favorite player was Rickey Henderson who was 8 years into his career. For the Sabres I liked Mike Foligno and Bills Andre Reed/James Lofton. I did like Notre Dame too and remember a RB/DB the Bills drafted named Jeff Burris but I remember wish we took George Teague instead yet Jeff played well but after he left I lost my interest.

I remember when the Sabres trading Alexander Mogilny for this guy named Michael Peca who I met at a card show and scoffed at his size but grew to adore him until I soured on him when held out for more money and after he got traded lost interest. I suppose if he sticks around Josh Allen might turn into one granted I didn't watch him in college. 

It's an interesting question, but I have no idea what the correct answer would be.

I've followed the Bills/NFL, Sabres/NHL, and Boston Red Sox (AL) my entire life as far back as I can remember.

Anyone who started with any of those 3 teams probably around 1980 or so would be the answer.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:38 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gilbert Perreault. 

I definitely remember #11 when he was a Sabre and well past his prime.

But I also remember him when he was still somewhat of a star too, thank God. 1980 or so?  

But I'm too young to remember him joining the NHL or the really sweet spot of his early career with the Sabres.

I wish I saw more of it.

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's an interesting question, but I have no idea what the correct answer would be.

I've followed the Bills/NFL, Sabres/NHL, and Boston Red Sox (AL) my entire life as far back as I can remember.

Anyone who started with any of those 3 teams probably around 1980 or so would be the answer.

I definitely remember #11 when he was a Sabre and well past his prime.

But I also remember him when he was still somewhat of a star too, thank God. 1980 or so?  

But I'm too young to remember him joining the NHL or the really sweet spot of his early career with the Sabres.

I wish I saw more of it.

Yeah... I guess you're right.  Misread the OP... I didn't catch Perreault till I was about 6/7... 1974/1975... He was first sport's player I followed. 

Probably Jeter, I would say then. Really nobody else I followed for their career than #11... Jim Kelly, does that count?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.