Season Ticket Holder Survey

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That isn't an endorsement for pro sports in WNY.

Small market, same as it ever was. Our loyal fans are the reasons the Sabres and Bills are so well supported. Not the businesses. 

We don't have many big businesses headquartered here who will shell out big bucks for blocks of seats/boxes/suites. Small locally owned businesses DO however, but they can't afford huge price increases just like most fans cant with ticket costs increasing. 

Again, small market, same as it ever was.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Small market, same as it ever was. Our loyal fans are the reasons the Sabres and Bills are so well supported. Not the businesses. 

We don't have many big businesses headquartered here who will shell out big bucks for blocks of seats/boxes/suites. Small locally owned businesses DO however, but they can't afford huge price increases just like most fans cant with ticket costs increasing. 

Again, small market, same as it ever was.

I'm not sticking up for the system. Just saying the system keeps working for the big leagues. As long as they keep finding bigger pots of gold, they'll keep digging for more. 

Frankly most cities manage to keep up. If Buffalo can't, that's more an indictment of how we are managed as a region.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm not sticking up for the system. Just saying the system keeps working for the big leagues. As long as they keep finding bigger pots of gold, they'll keep digging for more. 

Frankly most cities manage to keep up. If Buffalo can't, that's more an indictment of how we are managed as a region.

You are right about that, thats the nature of sports and money making though. 

well we arent losing what we have, thats obvious with the new stadium deal. So no need to worry though. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't understand the question. In the case of the Bills they set a record price paid, but the moment they did that, every other NFL franchise rose accordingly.

I don't think the Sabres went for a record price but "ol'  Sugar Packets" Tom Golisano made a tidy profit.

Sure the Bills sold for a record price, but they still sold for less than the average value of an NFL franchise at the time.  NFL franchises do not come up for sale very often and they will always sell for more than their current valuation.  If the Bills were any sort of a premium franchise, or even a league average franchise, that sale number would have been much higher.  Therefore the Bills' standing in the market was reflected in the Pegula's purchase price.

I am sick of hearting how expensive this stadium is.  This is not a Buffalo city franchise alone.  This is regional franchise.  It is NY state's only NFL team.  I talk to other season ticketholders seated around me.  They are from Toronto to Syracuse... covering millions of people.    Stop feeding into the this fear and self doubt... this is a tiny city, but the team is not about the city.  But the fans are from more then this city.  Fans come as far away as the suburbs of Cleveland, Albany,  and Pittsburgh.  If you don't know this, then you have not spent any time talking to fans around you in the stands.  We got a crappy deal from the state because we have a low self esteem as a city.  We are not just the city.  I live 5 minutes from the Stadium... so I see the license plates... 

The Bills bring in foreign dollars... millions of them. Mind you they are Canadian dollars, but it is new money from outside this country.  The Bills are an Item the US (and NY) exports.   We should have gotten a $4 Billion dome.  Why do you think the NFL pushed so hard to keep the Bills here.  It is not because of their kindness or tradition.  The NFL is after billions of foreign dollars cheaply... The Bills fit that perfectly. 

Stop with the low self esteem BS. Yes PSL will be pricey.. I hate them too.  But they will make them easier to swallow, the owners are not stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

those people don't exist in WNY in the numbers they would need to "replace" the current season ticket holders. 

some in this thread seem to think rich football fans will suddenly be coming out of the woodwork to buy season tickets with a new stadium and I am very confused as to why they think this is the case

And as far as corporate sponsors buying up seats now that there is a new stadium, I also find that hard to believe. At least as far as local companies. My wife owns a company that was been a corporate sponsor for the Bills and Sabres for years and they just decided to not renew their deal with Pegulas due to a variety of reasons. Pegula sports has come back begging for them to pay less and less to continue to be sponsors. I wouldnt think they would be groveling if they had lots of corporations lined up to be sponsors and buy club seats/blocks of seats and PSLs.

Sounds like a serious misread by PSE of what the WNY corporate sponsorship market can handle. 

41 minutes ago, BTB said:

Sounds like a serious misread by PSE of what the WNY corporate sponsorship market can handle. 

Maybe they are just softening us up so that the PSL$ in the next survey* look like a deal if they lower them a bit.  I'm assuming this is the first of many surveys on the new stadium.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

Yea this is what I'm saying. There might be a couple hundred people who would suddenly want to get seasons due to a nicer stadium experience, but those aren't going to offset the thousands who get priced out / choose not to pay it. We just aren't that type of a market. 

I agree, Pat.  This is going to really hurt the average fan who likes to attend games in person.  One can argue that a nicer setting would increase demand from businesses, but I don’t think it moves the needle much in B-lo.  The other thing I’ve seen before is that ticket dealers get a lot of PSLs and the resale market gets jacked up.  I hope that doesn’t happen here. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree, Pat.  This is going to really hurt the average fan who likes to attend games in person.  One can argue that a nicer setting would increase demand from businesses, but I don’t think it moves the needle much in B-lo.  The other thing I’ve seen before is that ticket dealers get a lot of PSLs and the resale market gets jacked up.  I hope that doesn’t happen here. 

PSE won’t care who buys the seats and the associated PSL’s, as long as they are sold at the highest possible prices. 

• Agree 1

Bills want to show how much they appreciate their fans?

They could give current STHs a discount on their PSLs based on how many years they have held their tickets.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, K-No said:

They could give current STHs a discount on their PSLs based on how many years they have held their tickets.

I was thinking something similar. Not holding my breath, though.

15 minutes ago, K-No said:

The old saying goes…

Wish in one hand, and 💩  in the other, and see which one fills up first.

• Haha (+1) 2

Our family has been season ticket holders since 1961. I live out of town and inherited the seats from my father

I have 8 lower level 45 to 50 yard line seats (rows 7 and 13). A friend uses some of the seats and I sell the rest

As it is, over the past few years, my ticket prices have gone up from around 75 per game to 150 per game so it is tougher to sell at a profit

If I have to pay a bundle for PSL and pay more per ticket, will probably give them up.

With the ease of selling tickets (ticket exchange, stubhub, ebay,...) , many people buy seasons who otherwise would not. Those people would most likely bail if have a large PSL.

But with a smaller stadium, the Bills can afford to lose 15,000 season tix

• Vomit 1

I used to have a couple PSL's in Baltimore in the LL corners.  The one time License fee was $2,500 per seat, one time fee for life.   I sold most of the games at a decent profit for several years on Craigslist,etc...  Once StubHub, SeatGeek and Ticket Exchange became huge i actually had to start dropping prices to nearly face value to sell them.  I ultimately sold the PSL's a couple months before Covid hit.  What a great move that was, but anyway I think the days of owning PSL's and season tickets are not worth it anymore.  There are just too many tix on the secondary market and really easy to  get. 

Based on this survey I think I am leaning towards keeping season tickets. Prices for lower bowl don’t seem ridiculous and if they are offering PSL financing interest free through construction that softens the upfront blow.

Let’s go!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are a segment of fans that don’t go because they can’t get the best seats with the best amenities. It isn’t a massive section of the fan base but they exist. My guess is that if they are having a hard time moving them they’ll drop the finance charges to next to nothing. 

My current seats are in 237. In the new stadium (assuming that it was reading it correctly) the seats will be about $15 more a game with a license fee of $6200 each. I can pay that $12400 over 30 years (again assuming that I was reading it correctly). I can pay it over 3 or 4 years with no interest. It’ll basically be double what I pay now for those 3 or 4 years and then back to where I’m at. While it isn’t ideal I don’t think that is crazy for club seats in a new stadium. 

Some of us likely won’t be around in 10-15 years, much less 30.

A 30 year season ticket ‘Mortgage’, is throwing good money, after bad. If the day comes when the team is stinkin’ up the joint again, don’t hold your breath, if you suddenly need to sell your PSL..

Posted (edited)

I was expecting higher prices per season. I sit lower corner 116 now and this survey showed them only $100/ticket more per season. I can definitely stomach a one time hit on the PSL. We’ll see what the final prices wind up being, but I’m more encouraged.

Edited by Rockpile233

I think my biggest thing is beyond the price itself, I think the atmosphere is going to be so much more watered down at the new stadium.  Is it even going to be worth it to go to every game at that point?  Right now the atmosphere in the stadium has a special vibe that makes you want to be there but I think we are going to lose that.  I'd still go to a couple games a year but I'm 99.9% sure I am dropping season tickets once the new stadium opens.  

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Some of us likely won’t be around in 10-15 years, much less 30.

A 30 year season ticket ‘Mortgage’, is throwing good money, after bad. If the day comes when the team is stinkin’ up the joint again, don’t hold your breath, if you suddenly need to sell your PSL..

I’m looking at it as my investment in the new stadium. I’ll basically pay double over the next 3-4 years. It’s not ideal but it’s something that I love. I spend money on a lot of things that I like far less than going to Bills games. I’ll make my sacrifices elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Sure the Bills sold for a record price, but they still sold for less than the average value of an NFL franchise at the time.  NFL franchises do not come up for sale very often and they will always sell for more than their current valuation.  If the Bills were any sort of a premium franchise, or even a league average franchise, that sale number would have been much higher.  Therefore the Bills' standing in the market was reflected in the Pegula's purchase price.

Wait till we get our new stadium and our "evaluation" will go up a lot 

We're playing in a 50 year old concrete stadium