***** Bills Mafia rise up***** Best wings outside of Buffalo

B_4_life

I've posted this before. There was a restaurant that did not survive the pandemic, called Pok Pok.  They made the most incredible Vietnamese fish sauce wings.  The owner eventually started restaurants in NYC and Vegas.  None survived the pandemic.  

Here is a write up on how to make them yourself

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/how-to-make-pok-poks-fish-sauce-wings-at-home.html

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA has better Buffalo Wings than many places in Western New York but he is from Arcade, NY and uses same recipe. 

They have won a lot of competition awards too and are served at Buffalo Nite annually in Washington, DC.  Beef on Weck is great too and he got a local bakery to make them to order for him.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g57821-d1382677-r234350708-Jimmy_s_Old_Town_Tavern-Herndon_Fairfax_County_Virginia.html

I did say mostly, not all, good to hear some folk know how to do wings correctly, 😁👍, they in my experience are sadly a minority, 

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Raw chicken wing prices have gotten out of control with supermarkets selling for $4 a pound which is more than boneless, skinless chicken tenders.

My wife and I were shopping at Restaurant Depot and they had a  40# "miss-cut" box of chicken wings for 50 cents a pound and I told my wife to buy it. 

Not one of them were cooked Buffalo style but Chinese have been cooking chicken wings as a dish for hundreds of years and they were as good Buffalo wings are. 

I looked it up and it said the earliest Chicken Wing recipe in China was from 750 AD...so I guess they did it about 1400 years prior to the Anchor Bar 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Winfield Grill in Rochester for the original recipe of what would eventually be called "Buffalo Wings." Essentially deep fried wings with equal parts butter, and Tobacco Sauce. They're still there, but have upgraded their recipe, of course.

Also, Sal's Birdland in Syracuse. The first place in the country to sell wings as its own meal. You can still buy Sal's Sassy Sauce at Wegmans. 

Also, my personal fave: Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs. An addiction. First opened in a tiny little store on Monroe Ave. That original place is long gone. They only had a total of three locations in Rochester at their peak. Now, they're down to one location on Mt. Hope Ave. You can still buy Country Sweet Sauce at Wegmans, and "Country Sweet" has become a common flavor at other wing venues throughout WNY.

The Windfield Grill ?  Is it still open?

There was a day (night actually) when you could walk (stumble) from The Windfield Grill to a Sal’s Birdland on Main Street.  

if not Sal’s the other Birdland place on Main Street

The Hot Buffalo in Holden Beach, NC is the best in our area.  Owner’s Joe, Matt, and Kevin are transplanted upstate NY Bills

Mafia members who’s restaurant on game day becomes Bills heaven.  The wings are crispy and tender with each bite.   Extra crispy with your favorite sauces on the side will set you free.  Ice cold Labatt on tap is the ultimate finish, of course with a Bills victory.  A must stop when your looking for the beach, ice cold beer, and a great chicken wing.

thehotbuffalo.getbento.com

Edited by Ray Ray

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ve had wings outside of Buffalo / western NY,  not all, but mostly they are stringy and not so great, so in reality there are no Buffalo wings outside of western NY, just mediocre imitations, jmo (unless you make them yourself)

Maybe the best "Buffalo Wings" are in Buffalo. 

But the very best wings I've ever eaten have been Brazilian, Szechuan, Korean and Thai wings in restaurants outside of Buffalo.  

And I personally make my own wing sauce with a combination of gochujang, doenjang (Korean fermented bean paste), tomatillo, roasted garlic, and other ingredients.  It's a personal preference, but I'd take my own culturally mixed-up wings over anything Bar Bill or Duff's has to offer.

I recently read some folks are making Buffalo - and other wings - confit style (slow cooked in their own fat).   That will be my next experiment: Mexi-Korean Wings Confit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I looked it up and it said the earliest Chicken Wing recipe in China was from 750 AD...so I guess they did it about 1400 years prior to the Anchor Bar 🤣

When my daughter was in school she had to do a book report on Chinese in America starting in 1850s. 

I read that Chinese in US working on railroad were cooking wings using butter and hot sauce during gold rush. 

Sounded a lot like Anchor Bar recipe before there was an Anchor Bar.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ve had wings outside of Buffalo / western NY,  not all, but mostly they are stringy and not so great, so in reality there are no Buffalo wings outside of western NY, just mediocre imitations, jmo (unless you make them yourself)

I disagree. There aren't many good establishments in Chicago-land area but the one I listed above is very good. Wings are not stringy at all. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I disagree. There aren't many good establishments in Chicago-land area but the one I listed above is very good. Wings are not stringy at all. 

i lived at many different areas outside of buffalo and have travelled to just about everywhere in the country.

im very critical of wings.  i generally don’t touch them unless (1) there is a buffalo connection with the owner or (2) they use a contracted recipe. I’ve seen restaurants market using anchor bar recipe on wings.

i respect Asian recipe wings.  I don’t look at them as copycat.

9 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I like the Dinosaur Wango Tango wings over all else.  They're slow cooked so you don't get the sinewy stuff from the fried wings, it's almost fall off the bone but the skin keeps in the meat.   After a long smoke w dry rub they throw them on the grill and sauce em when you order.   All the fat is rendered off during the slow cook and the wings are big and meaty.   We have done blind taste tests with Dino wings and they win every time.  

Those wango wings at Dino are seriously good! I like the dry rub ones too!

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Windfield Grill ?  Is it still open?

There was a day (night actually) when you could walk (stumble) from The Windfield Grill to a Sal’s Birdland on Main Street.  

if not Sal’s the other Birdland place on Main Street

Talking about the Winfield Grill in Rochester on Winton. I went there with my brother a couple years ago when I was visiting Rochester (I live in Los Angeles now, but I still have lots of family there). We used to frequent the place back in the '80s. Still open.

• Like (+1) 1

For those in the Phoenix area, Pullano's on 51st Avenue and Thunderbird has some excellent wings.  They are medium sized, so not the really big ones, but they have the crispiness and flavor down.  They also serve Beef on Weck.  The owners are from Michigan, so NOT from Buffalo, but it's a Bills Backers location, so there is clearly some connection.  They also have a good variety of Buffalo sports (mostly Bills, a little bit Sabres) paraphernalia on the walls.  The place is divided into two sides - one side is a family restaurant type of feel (but with TVs and Bills stuff on the walls) and the other side is the bar.  It's a very down to earth place with a bit of a blue collar feel to it.  Definitely not the Scottsdale crowd, but when I am there it is usually to eat and/or to watch the game, not to check out the assets.

They recently had a bad fire, so I believe they are temporarily closed.  Hopefully, they will reopen.  If they lost their Buffalo stuff in the fire, we might need to organize some donations.....

https://www.facebook.com/PullanosPizza/ (good picture of their wings on the top of this page)

https://pullanos.com/

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Also, my personal fave: Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs. An addiction. First opened in a tiny little store on Monroe Ave. That original place is long gone. They only had a total of three locations in Rochester at their peak. Now, they're down to one location on Mt. Hope Ave. You can still buy Country Sweet Sauce at Wegmans, and "Country Sweet" has become a common flavor at other wing venues throughout WNY.

I share that addiction…. CS inspires memories of drunken nights on Monroe Ave in my early 20’s. 😂.  They opened a second location on 104 in Greece. 

• Like (+1) 1

There used to be this place in Pittsboro, NC called Snappy’s or Troll’s. He had the best wings I’ve ever eaten - outside of the motherland. Then this guy Snappy got a sweet job offer down in Texas and had to close shop. However, he’s definitely going to get things going again before football season down in a town called Friendswood. Ask Gisele about Snappy….Gisele knows all about Snappy’s special sauce. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Talking about the Winfield Grill in Rochester on Winton. I went there with my brother a couple years ago when I was visiting Rochester (I live in Los Angeles now, but I still have lots of family there). We used to frequent the place back in the '80s. Still open.

I would hop that there was only one. 😆 

A lot of people from Harris- RF Comm frequented the place from the 70’s through the 90’s.  

One of over a half dozen hole in the wall places for after work activities.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.