***** Bills Mafia rise up***** Best wings outside of Buffalo

B_4_life

Raw chicken wing prices have gotten out of control with supermarkets selling for $4 a pound which is more than boneless, skinless chicken tenders.

My wife and I were shopping at Restaurant Depot and they had a  40# "miss-cut" box of chicken wings for 50 cents a pound and I told my wife to buy it. 

Not one of them were cooked Buffalo style but Chinese have been cooking chicken wings as a dish for hundreds of years and they were as good Buffalo wings are. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Well they coulda just did a GoFundMe to stay open but sure they didn't want to do that for a few reasons and I get it. Sad to see them fall victim to the pandemic like that.

Some restaurants are doing better with pandemic but hyperinflation is affecting some parts of the markets now. 

A friend of ours has a Japanese restaurant called Burke Fortune House and has had takeout sushi orders tripled with people wanting to eat at home. 

The most popular container for sushi platter has gone up 8 times in price.

The worst part of visiting her restaurant is tries to let us eat for free.  She works hard at her job and during day she works for my wife in kitchen in school so she can get health insurance at a great group rate. Most of the women in kitchen work there for that reason.  She knows however that I am a high level professional and she does not need to give us a discount but she keeps trying and when we leave will often give something to my daughter an eel dish she loves.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Raw chicken wing prices have gotten out of control with supermarkets selling for $4 a pound which is more than boneless, skinless chicken tenders.

My wife and I were shopping at Restaurant Depot and they had a  40# "miss-cut" box of chicken wings for 50 cents a pound and I told my wife to buy it. 

Not one of them were cooked Buffalo style but Chinese have been cooking chicken wings as a dish for hundreds of years and they were as good Buffalo wings are. 

Imperial Concubine chicken wing recipe dates back to 750 AD so hundreds is an understatement.    

• Haha (+1) 2

I’ve had wings outside of Buffalo / western NY,  not all, but mostly they are stringy and not so great, so in reality there are no Buffalo wings outside of western NY, just mediocre imitations, jmo (unless you make them yourself)

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ve had wings outside of Buffalo / western NY,  not all, but mostly they are stringy and not so great, so in reality there are no Buffalo wings outside of western NY, just mediocre imitations, jmo (unless you make them yourself)

Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA has better Buffalo Wings than many places in Western New York but he is from Arcade, NY and uses same recipe. 

They have won a lot of competition awards too and are served at Buffalo Nite annually in Washington, DC.  Beef on Weck is great too and he got a local bakery to make them to order for him.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g57821-d1382677-r234350708-Jimmy_s_Old_Town_Tavern-Herndon_Fairfax_County_Virginia.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its sad to read of that restaurants closing.  The patrons will be displaced and need a new place for the Buffalo food fix. Hopefully they find it. My experience says there is a good chance but no guarantee either.  Jacksonville is a large city but it may take time to find it.

It reads to me like their financial issues weren't self imposed..aka all things outside of their control. That sucks.

best wings outside of WNY?  My kitchen. haha

m

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Time Out Sports Grill is the new Bills Backers top choice in Jacksonville, announced today on social media. Bigger and better than Wing It.

well there you go that  didnt take long lol...I hadnt read your post my bad.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Yet the comic shop still open?

There is a comic shop where I go to get Pokémon cards for my kids that can range from $10 - $1000 depending on the card.  I buy the $5 random packs that they pull all the good cards out of.

I'm sure they make more with all the people that want those limited edition reflective/holographic cards. 

Edited by The Wiz

Winfield Grill in Rochester for the original recipe of what would eventually be called "Buffalo Wings." Essentially deep fried wings with equal parts butter, and Tobacco Sauce. They're still there, but have upgraded their recipe, of course.

Also, Sal's Birdland in Syracuse. The first place in the country to sell wings as its own meal. You can still buy Sal's Sassy Sauce at Wegmans. 

Also, my personal fave: Country Sweet Chicken and Ribs. An addiction. First opened in a tiny little store on Monroe Ave. That original place is long gone. They only had a total of three locations in Rochester at their peak. Now, they're down to one location on Mt. Hope Ave. You can still buy Country Sweet Sauce at Wegmans, and "Country Sweet" has become a common flavor at other wing venues throughout WNY.

I like the Dinosaur Wango Tango wings over all else.  They're slow cooked so you don't get the sinewy stuff from the fried wings, it's almost fall off the bone but the skin keeps in the meat.   After a long smoke w dry rub they throw them on the grill and sauce em when you order.   All the fat is rendered off during the slow cook and the wings are big and meaty.   We have done blind taste tests with Dino wings and they win every time.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.