Article: Jerry Jones, etc wanted Papa John to get Goodell fired

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He should have asked the CEO of Domino's instead. The job would have been done in 30 minutes or less.

aflec duck lost his voice earlier this year

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He should have asked the CEO of Domino's instead. The job would have been done in 30 minutes or less.

He would have gotten lost using his broken GPS

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Easy answer is the other 31 don't want to get into the business of owners voting to take away others' franchises.  

those 31 each want their only flavor….

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

He asked the Papa John's guy to do what now?  Was the Aflac Duck too busy?

If I needed someone "taken care of" I'd ask La Nova's over Papa John's

could have used Taco Bell as a sponsor and told him to run to the border….

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was doing exactly what he was told to do by his employers (minus Jones and Snyder, perhaps).

Goodell's job is tough because it's hard to be one who 32 others hide behind.

How can you be sure of that?  It’s difficult for me to believe that 30 owners wanted him to drag his feet for 2 years on the issue.  And it’s even more difficult for me to believe that none of the owners would listen to his council on the matter, which is a big part of his job. 

I am sure that some owners had different personal opinions on the matter and that they wanted him to deal with it in a way that reflected those opinions.  But, again, it is his job to manage conflicts like that..  and let’s face it, the overarching goal of NFL owners is to make money.  It’s no surprise that the NFL’s stance on the matters at hand changed when public opinion changed.  It’s about marketability and profitability.  Maybe Goodell didn’t have a lot of great options, but did he really do a job worthy of the $40M-$50M he makes every year?

Amazing that Papa Johns, Dominos and Pizza Hut have big time endorsements deals with NFL and other pro leagues and their pizza is all terrible. Give me Bocces or La Nova any day and twice on Sunday. 

Little Caesars is God awful too. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

How can you be sure of that?  It’s difficult for me to believe that 30 owners wanted him to drag his feet for 2 years on the issue.  And it’s even more difficult for me to believe that none of the owners would listen to his council on the matter, which is a big part of his job. 

I am sure that some owners had different personal opinions on the matter and that they wanted him to deal with it in a way that reflected those opinions.  But, again, it is his job to manage conflicts like that..  and let’s face it, the overarching goal of NFL owners is to make money.  It’s no surprise that the NFL’s stance on the matters at hand changed when public opinion changed.  It’s about marketability and profitability.  Maybe Goodell didn’t have a lot of great options, but did he really do a job worthy of the $40M-$50M he makes every year?

When he speaks, he speaks for the owners as a group.  He doesn't make policy, he disseminates it to the public.  The owners certainly aren't waiting around (2 years or 2 minutes) for Goodell to tell them what to do.  They tell him to tell the public what the League has decided on any major matters.

As for did he earn his salary?  You are asking the wrong person.  They ones who pay him feel he is obviously worth at least that much.  How could this be more clear?  The owners see Goodell getting lustily boo'd during the League's most popular non football event (over and over) and they sit back and marvel at how much of a bargain Goodell is.  None of them have the stomach to face the public for that kind of abuse on a regular basis. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Check out the NFL's annual growth rate during Goodell's tenure, and you'll have your answer. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

When he speaks, he speaks for the owners as a group.  He doesn't make policy, he disseminates it to the public.  The owners certainly aren't waiting around (2 years or 2 minutes) for Goodell to tell them what to do.  They tell him to tell the public what the League has decided on any major matters.

As for did he earn his salary?  You are asking the wrong person.  They ones who pay him feel he is obviously worth at least that much.  How could this be more clear?  The owners see Goodell getting lustily boo'd during the League's most popular non football event (over and over) and they sit back and marvel at how much of a bargain Goodell is.  None of them have the stomach to face the public for that kind of abuse on a regular basis. 

You seriously think Goodell’s job is to just be a mouthpiece for the owners after they get done arguing with each other?  

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Amazing that Papa Johns, Dominos and Pizza Hut have big time endorsements deals with NFL and other pro leagues and their pizza is all terrible. Give me Bocces or La Nova any day and twice on Sunday. 

Little Caesars is God awful too. 

What is your point?  You expect a local pizzeria to be a NFL sponsor/partner?

11 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Check out the NFL's annual growth rate during Goodell's tenure, and you'll have your answer. 

That can’t have anything to do with him.  I just read that he just does what the owners tell him to do after they decide everything.  Pretty good gig at almost $50M a year.  

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

You seriously think Goodell’s job is to just be a mouthpiece for the owners after they get done arguing with each other?  

Thats exactly what it is.  Everyone knows this.  

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That can’t have anything to do with him.  I just read that he just does what the owners tell him to do after they decide everything.  Pretty good gig at almost $50M a year.  

He jumps on the grenades intended for them do the money keeps coming in.  Networks and sponsors are calmed. 

Pretty simple.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thats exactly what it is.  Everyone knows this.  

He jumps on the grenades intended for them do the money keeps coming in.  Networks and sponsors are calmed. 

Pretty simple.

And here I thought he’d have to do things like:

- direct research on issues that impact the NFLs bottom line

- determine possible courses of action and likely consequences of each course

- recommend a plan (or plans) of action

- determine contingency plans for above

- lead or delegate important courses of action

That’s what one would expect of someone in such a position.  But apparently just an incredibly well paid figurehead. Crazy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.