Do you wear a non smart watch?

Another Fan

I wear a watch for work. One reason is teaching. With the near universal use of slideshow-based lectures, working clocks have become a rarity in our lecture halls; instead, you are expected to use the computer clock. However, I still do a lot of my teaching on the whiteboard (which is preferred by most students) and often will not even switch on the computer.

51 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sometimes when I’m taking my wife out to a nice restaurant or to weddings or other event where I wear a suit.  More as like jewelry.

That was me for many years. I felt like it was part of dressing up, but I normally just rely upon my phone. 

Our 29 year old son was just here for Mother’s Day and it reminded me of the first time I saw a cell phone. We were at one of his tee ball games and a VERY pregnant mom got one ahead of the curve as a precaution. My son doesn’t know the world without cell phones, and my father could never work one. What will the next generation see? 

My wife read a study about guys in their 20’ and 30’s. Of the few who did wear a watch, I think about 2/3 would do it just as a fashion statement. 

Funny story: Last time I went to wear one of my two watches I noticed it had stopped. I took it to a jeweler at the mall to replace the battery. Just as I was walking in I looked at it and saw it ticking away! Only then did I recall it was solar operated and realize sitting in my dark closet was not cutting it! That saved an embarrassing moment for me! 

EDIT: both of my watches are “non smart”. My phone and TV are already smarter than me. I don’t need to be further looked down upon by my devices. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Yes.  IMO, the classical analog watch separates the adults from the children in the room.  I cringe when I see a man pay attention to every outfit detail but the plastic watch on his wrist.     

I wear a mechanical watch everyday for several reasons:

1)  Its easier to look at your wrist than grab your phone.  

2)  I still like the style and the way a good watch looks.  All my watches are pretty inexpensive (Less than $150) but still look good.  

3)  I don't want anymore connected devices.  Having a phone is enough.  Also, I don't want anymore devices to charge.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I wear a mechanical watch everyday for several reasons:

1)  Its easier to look at your wrist than grab your phone.  

2)  I still like the style and the way a good watch looks.  All my watches are pretty inexpensive (Less than $150) but still look good.  

3)  I don't want anymore connected devices.  Having a phone is enough.  Also, I don't want anymore devices to charge.  

Yup... Even solar power. But if I do step up into something fancy... Will be kinetic or anything without a battery.  Batteries suck!

And it has to be a classic round field watch for me!

Square watches are just bizarre...The world is round! 😉 

i almost only wear a smart watch at this point.  i have a rolex and an omega, both of which were gifts, and i can't tell you the last time i wear them.  as mentioned earlier, i may wear them too look a little flashy on occasion, but it's a pain.  i have to wind it up, reset the time, and at the end of the day, i just don't give a ***** what anyone thinks about my watch.  

the smart watch actually allows me to be away from my phone.  my watch has cellular, so i know when call and texts come in.  i always have to be aware of my phone for work, so it allows me to be anywhere without actually having to carry my phone.  on top of that, it has my email, calendar, stop watch, monitor my exercise, weather, etc.  it's just too easy.  the esthetic isn't as nice, but it just doesn't matter to me.  whenever i see someone wearing a rolex, i feel like they're trying to hard to let me know they have a rolex.  i completely get the appeal of a nice traditional watch, but at this point, i'd rather put my money elsewhere.  i'm someone what would only buy a new car when i know it's not the best way to spend money.  

Now here’s a topic I could talk about for hours. My biggest (and definitely most expensive) hobby is watch collecting. I have bought and sold well over 50 watches over the last five years or so. I’ve always loved watches, even as a kid. 

My current collection:

Rolex DeepSea (my daily watch)

Cartier Santos 

Rolex Cellini (my dress watch, which with working from home full time doesn’t get much love.)

Ming 17.09. This is a micro brand and probably my favorite watch. 

And of course a Casio G Shock. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup... Even solar power. But if I do step up into something fancy... Will be kinetic or anything without a battery.  Batteries suck!

And it has to be a classic round field watch for me!

Square watches are just bizarre...The world is round! 😉 

Maybe you should get a smart watch to be on time for funerals

• Haha (+1) 1

Wear an Apple Watch daily for work reasons for the stop watch function and also for notifications so not to be on my phone all day.   Bought a Series 1 one years ago and really never used it.  Had a period of high heart rates and bought the Series 6 for the ECG and pulse ox functions.  Both work rather well.  

Have a decent analog for the rare times I wear a suit.

Used to be a diehard Timex Expedition guy.  Stylish enough and tough enough for work.  Things lasted forever.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Maybe you should get a smart watch to be on time for funerals

If you remember... I was on time.  Was during pandemic... I forgot my mask and went back to get it, hence causing me to be tardy...  This was before they were passing masks out like water... 😏 

On 5/8/2022 at 11:11 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

Some people wear Smart watches. My watch is marginally exceptional.

Some smart people wear a watch

Some smart people wear a smart watch

I am not smart enough to do either.

Actually, I hate wearing a watch, smart or otherwise.

On 5/8/2022 at 5:15 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sometimes when I’m taking my wife out to a nice restaurant or to weddings or other event where I wear a suit.  More as like jewelry.

Here we thought you wrote Zubaz 100% of the time. 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you remember... I was on time.  Was during pandemic... I forgot my mask and went back to get it, hence causing me to be tardy...  This was before they were passing masks out like water... 😏 

Who passes out water?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Golden*Wheels said:

Always. I throw my watch on, pull up my trousers, get on the penny farthing, and head off to the Ford factory to start work on that new Model T. Fantastic times we live in.

I wouldn't mock redundancy or it's the trenches on the Western Front for you!

When the EMP/TED goes off and the magnetic pole fips.  Your phone is toast!  😏 

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wear a 1984-style Casio calculator watch. For real. I always get major props on it.

I play Nerdle... My math skills have sharpened drastically! 😉 

@BringBackFergy

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, Chef Jim said:

Yes. When I worked every day I’d wear one. I have several Original Grain watches. 

BTW I remember about 10 years ago a younger guy in my office was asking why I wear a watch.  "Everyone just uses their phone."    So I held up my wrist and looked at my watch and asked "what time is it?"  He went through the inventory of all pockets and no phone.  It was at his desk.  "Uh huh.....Next question punk."  

35 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Always. I throw my watch on, pull up my trousers, get on the penny farthing, and head off to the Ford factory to start work on that new Model T. Fantastic times we live in.

What time is it? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.