Are there any NFL teams with a #1 QB worse than Baker Mayfield?

tomur67

17 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

God bless Jets fans.  It takes a lot to stay with a team after being promised paradise during the off-season and then being kicked in the nuts during the season for the 17 year drought like we did.  They've been doing it the last 52 years.

You’re first mistake is going to a Jets fan board.  Those tools are a pain.  I don’t dislike the team, I actually pity the decent fans, but between Pats and Jests fans, there are better bases.  The Pats are almost worse as they are delusional their team will ever be what it was with Brady.

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Very interesting perspective. Mayfield is plan B for Cleveland, depending on what the NFL does with Watson. As plan B, Baker is near the top.

If I was Mayfield's agent I would ask for a clean release. Future and guaranteed money dropped.

If not released Mayfield will hold out and sit (will not play).

Baker Mayfield has 4 accrued seasons, so he would be a Free Agent (no waivers).

At this point being a FA is Mayfield's best course. He could negotiate with any team he wants to play with. He could chose to fight for a starting spot or go the Trubisky route, make a few million, and be a backup while he reorganizes his brand and attitude.

What if Mayfield and his agent asked for a clean release? 0 future and guaranteed money?

With 4 accrued seasons he would be a FA.

I wouldn't give up that much guaranteed money. No way. Wait it out, go to camp. If Watson is disciplined, play your best and see what happens. If Watson plays, sit back and let the browns figure it out. Unless they franchise him next year, I believe he'll be a free agent. Then he can pick and choose, but at least with his money in the bank. A big contract isn't guaranteed, but this year's money is.

• Like (+1) 1

Based on the lack of love he gets from fans in Clev and his ex teammates I surmise there is a slight personality problem. 

If you are great like A Rodgers you can be abrasive and get by. If you are a wannabe you have to show a drastic change to be a success. 

Mayfield had some success, but hardly enough to be arrogant about, or demanding about. 

He was crowned by the national media when they began to refer to him only as Baker, his head swelled. Aaron Rodgers doesn't get Aaron only. Patrick Mahommes doesn't get called just Patrick. Von Miller doesn't get just Von in national headlines.

Mayfield image was created before he developed. Now he has a job to become a player not an image. Maybe he knows how to work, maybe not.

At this point he is a started on only a few teams...if his head is right.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, it's not Baker's talent that is the problem.  He's not top tier, but certainly a decent qb.  The problem is that contract.  Not only is it guaranteed (at I think 18 million), but it is a one year deal.  In that podcast everyone jumped all over Baker for saying that he wanted to go to a fans' work and boo them.  The part that caught my attention was him saying that even if he doesn't like the place where he is traded he can just play for a year and then leave.  Do teams really want to pay that for a one year rental?  If he doesn't like it there, he can leave...or if he plays great he can hold the team up for a king's ransom.  The other option is get him to agree to an extension now, but while he is a decent qb, I don't think anyone trusts that he is good enough that they want to extend him, particularly not at going rate for qbs.  Unless Cleveland is willing to eat a bunch of his salary (which I've heard they don't want to do), I don't see anybody willing to take this on.

Baker is somewhere in the 15-25 best QB range. He won't be the worst QB in league but I don't see a version where is top 5. He though is never gonna be a savior so no one is trading is much for him when they know Cleveland can't keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

Cleveland created their own mess, by doing a terrible deal with a possible serial sexual abuser, overpaid him a ton just to make sure they beat out their competition, and have an $18.8 mil. hit coming in Mayfield.  The league is ticked at Cleveland, and then there are questions as to how healthy will Mayfield be in September as he was a mess last year.  Then you have his attitude at least what is perceived from the public.

Bottom line is Cleveland wants another team to eat part or all of that $1&.8 mil. and get what I guess is a 4th RD. pick.  The draft is over and still no deals from Carolina, Seattle or even ATL.  At some point Cleveland will or has already offered to absorb the cap hit and just wants a 4th.  

The next logical colllision is Cleveland cuts him as they are not keeping him around for weeks 1-6 while Watson will most likely get the same suspension as Big Ben.  There is no way Cleveland is keeping BM around.  The next interesting part is who once he’s cleared to go to any team will want him at a modest salary.

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Worth the baggage and the money - Progressive.

Exactly this. Many bad QBs out there, Baker better then all of these 👆no doubt.

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Jets, Mets, & Nets... Only teams in the country that have no home.  Not one county in the US that has a majority of their fans there.

You can go to any one of their stadiums and find the majority of fans residing there root for the "other team." 😆 

Funny... They all have names that are similar too... It's like God planned it this way. 😆 

2 of those teams are from NJ the other is and always had been from Queens. By your comment I'm assuming you've never been to Citi Field because that's is inaccurate.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Starr Almighty said:

2 of those teams are from NJ the other is and always had been from Queens. By your comment I'm assuming you've never been to Citi Field because that's is inaccurate.

My comment has nothing to do with people in the stadium.   Of course they have more there... Da!

1 team from NJ.  1 from Brooklyn,  other Queens.  As in "home" I meant not a majority of their fans in any county in the US.

More are Yankees fans in Queens... 

Maybe the Nets have more of Brooklyn now than the Knicks... ??

Why is this so hard to understand? Homelessness is a real problem in this country... Don't sweep it under the rug! 😁😉

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You’re first mistake is going to a Jets fan board.  Those tools are a pain.  I don’t dislike the team, I actually pity the decent fans, but between Pats and Jests fans, there are better bases.  The Pats are almost worse as they are delusional their team will ever be what it was with Brady.

I didn't take a shot at Jets fans or visit their boards.  I commended their commitment to them.

21 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

He will find a home, and one where he can compete to start when he is cut.

No one is taking on his salary with last year's production and injuries, and his current head space.

Baker Mayfield is probably QB20 or so in the league (+5/-5) given the situation/ health.

A lot of teams in the AFC are set, or looking at young QBs in season 2-3 as a starter. No one wants a controversy.

NFC has more opportunities. Seattle/ Atlanta and Carolina are obvious. Could compete in Detroit/ Washington/ Saints

If he is smart he will do a Trubisky and sit a season as a backup to a successful team with a stud QB and reform his image.

Tampa would be ideal. Solid team. Brady is the starter. Brady is also ancient, but could learn from him and have an outside chance to play this season.

Regardless, he would have the inside track to succeed Brady on a team with a very good offense in a weak division.

If I am Baker I just ask to be cut and work like a dog to get an invite to Tampa.

He should try to get cut and drive his own future as a free agent IMO. If that means settling on less guaranteed money from Cleveland, do it. Lose the battle, humble yourself and win the war.

The 5th year deal is non-negotiable unless an extension is signed. So he really has no say in it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My comment has nothing to do with people in the stadium.   Of course they have more there... Da!

1 team from NJ.  1 from Brooklyn,  other Queens.  As in "home" I meant not a majority of their fans in any county in the US.

More are Yankees fans in Queens... 

Maybe the Nets have more of Brooklyn now than the Knicks... ??

Why is this so hard to understand? Homelessness is a real problem in this country... Don't sweep it under the rug! 😁😉

False... Queens has more Mets fans.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Baker isn't trash, nor is he your savior. Not his fault he got drafted #1 overall. He played for a crap organization that for some reason almost wanted him to fail.

Main reason he hasn't been moved is the guaranteed money on the 5th year tag. If it wasn't for that he would be elsewhere right now.

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There is no way in hell your map is accurate!  NYC is Yankee and Giant land!

😆... My dream! I am on SouthSide, my allegiance is to the Sox. 😏 

dam you......😁😁........did you know there are no White Sox fans in US? 😁😁

PS: Queens still has more Mets fans than Yankee fans.

Edited by cba fan

Funny how trubisky was given zero chance of success in a famously terrible organization for qbs and he's grinding away with out pointing fingers. Baker was given an excellent o line, elite recievers, elite rb, solid TEs, and good defense. And all he does is point fingers. I do think he's better than many starters in the nfl but what bad team wants to bring baker in for a 1 year rental and then probably have to over pay him and possibly miss out on a good qb draft class.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.