Are there any NFL teams with a #1 QB worse than Baker Mayfield?

tomur67

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You don’t think Mayfield is better than Zach Wilson??

come on

I'd choose they both suck and their respective  teams are spinning their wheels in the mud. But at least Zack Wilson still has potential. Mayfield blows and only ever had any modicum of success due to the coaches run heavy offense and super talent at the rb position.

29 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I'd choose they both suck and their respective  teams are spinning their wheels in the mud. But at least Zack Wilson still has potential. Mayfield blows and only ever had any modicum of success due to the coaches run heavy offense and super talent at the rb position.

Nah. Baker doesn't "blow." He's just not a top ten guy and hasn't showed he can get to that level of play consistently.

For this year only I'd pick Baker. For the rest of their careers, Wilson.

37 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

100 out of 100 times!! Not even close

That's a bit wacky, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

If I was Mayfield's agent I would ask for a clean release. Future and guaranteed money dropped.

If not released Mayfield will hold out and sit (will not play).

Sitting out is exactly what Browns want. Every game he does not play he does not play. 

More likely he will play and have an injury which doctor days he needs time to recover from.

He gets paid and a clean bill of health in January.

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Baker still has much more potential than Zach Wilson LOL 

People think Baker is small and Zack Wilson is skinnier , doesn't process the game as well and isn't as accurate 

It doesn't mean Baker's a superstar... But Wilson sucks

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sure. But are any of these teams taking on a 1 year 19 million dollar contract and giving up a Draft Pick to do it? No. And of these teams that could use him, there are surely some who are looking at Drafting their next hopeful Franchise QB next season. And having an upgrade at QB who will win them more games this season would only hurt that. So it's quite the pickle he finds himself in.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes. Is Baker better than Jordan Love? Probably, but feels like you also could ask the same question for Love as well. I'm surprised both of them didn't get moved. Maybe QB hoarding is becoming more of a thing.

I wonder which team will be the next sucker to take on Nick Foles, you know it's coming.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

I bolded the biggest problem with Mayfield that I see.   Essentially, he made the same mistakes in 2021 that he was making in 2019 and 2020.  Cleveland didn't decide to move on from Mayfield because his physical play suffered from his injury but he was still making the same kind of stupid decisions as a fourth year QB he was making as a sophomore.  I'm not sure that he's put in enough time/effort into understanding the mental nuances of playing QB in the NFL.  He obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes because he keeps making the same ones again and again. 

Mayfield also doesn't take responsibility for his own mistakes but blames others, which is simply unacceptable in an NFL QB.   He's done it repeatedly, and it's likely why he's doesn't get support from his teammates.  IOW, he not only has progressed enough to become a top QB, he doesn't seem to have the personality to be one, either.

Mayfield is the anti-process. His outward competitive fire appears to emanate from a defensive mindset, in that he's so conditioned to proving doubters wrong due to less-than-ideal tangibles and apparently also less-than-ideal INtangibles. There must be reasons why no one who works with him (coaches and WRs most notably) seems to want to continue working with him. 

Publicly (and statistically) he presents a fixed mindset, which often manifests as pride, arrogance, and/or defensiveness. When I was an educator of underprepared and underrepresented college students I oftentimes encountered much defensive hostility the moment I tried to identify and address their specific skillset weaknesses. Insecurity can really limit metacognition.

Mayfield likely entered the league as a nearly finished product. High floor, but low ceiling. Improvement requires a modicum of humility and self-awareness. The ability to acknowledge shortcomings which one can then work to overcome. Mayfield might be too conditioned to defending his CURRENT ability to actually admit flaws explicitly enough to address them in a meaningful way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Worth the baggage and the money - Progressive.

Yeah, everyone of them. I'm not Baker fan, but when not hurt he would be an upgrade on all these teams right now.

Most of the teams that have a QB worse than Baker don't want him, they would rather have a chance at drafting a QB in the next draft. Why have Baker come to your team just so you can get a worse draft pick? Baker is like the next Fitz, he wont get you anywhere but will get you draft picks that are mid level and might end up taking you out of position for the QB you want.

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I've seen worse. #1 overall picks who never amounted to anything.  Heisman winners who never played a down in the NFL-Charlie Ward chose the NBA over the NFL.  Other Heisman winners were busts &/or late round career backups.  

The Browns did not do Mayfield dirty.  They wanted to upgrade from him. Responsible teams upgrade positions.  If Watson gets suspended, all Mayfield has to do is grow up & look at what Drew Brees did.  Brees' replacement was drafted by the Chargers and Brees sucked it up & played lights out for 2 seasons and then left for NO and had a HOF career.  A Watson suspension would be a great opportunity if Mayfield understood the opportunity that he still might have.  Instead he's whining about wanting to be on another team instead of looking to prove his value in Cleveland like Brees did in San Diego.  His best chance to light it up is in an offense he already knows because if he doesn't go to a new team soon, he'll be behind the learning curve of the other QBs on the new team.   

Brees is an excellent example, especially because he shares some physical limitations with Mayfield, primarily height and arm strength. 

9 hours ago, cba fan said:

you are wrong. Mets are large majority in Queens.

I think that the Yankees are the favorite baseball team of the majority baseball fans in every county in New York State from Queens to Erie.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

lol

17 hours ago, tomur67 said:

I would think some team would want him.  He's still young.  You know he's got the talent.  If your team needs a good starting QB can you afford to wait until he's released? Are there hidden problems with Baker that we don't know about?

have you been living in a 📦 

14 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Very interesting perspective. Mayfield is plan B for Cleveland, depending on what the NFL does with Watson. As plan B, Baker is near the top.

If I was Mayfield's agent I would ask for a clean release. Future and guaranteed money dropped.

If not released Mayfield will hold out and sit (will not play).

Baker Mayfield has 4 accrued seasons, so he would be a Free Agent (no waivers).

At this point being a FA is Mayfield's best course. He could negotiate with any team he wants to play with. He could chose to fight for a starting spot or go the Trubisky route, make a few million, and be a backup while he reorganizes his brand and attitude.

What if Mayfield and his agent asked for a clean release? 0 future and guaranteed money?

With 4 accrued seasons he would be a FA.

Sure.  But do you see Mayfield and his agent giving up $18.86M?  They could negotiate something else though.  For example, they offer to take, say, $10M to get released.  Then he could immediately sign with another team.

The real wildcard here is how Baker reacts when he has to come in as an afterthought to the team and accept relegation to things like running the scout team.  I honestly don’t know if his ego can take that.  His motivation to get a deal done will be high.  Or maybe he reacts emotionally and does something - like no showing to training camp or refusing to participate in practice once he’s there - that voids his guarantees.

In any event, it costs the Browns nothing but a roster spot to keep him around and they might just get something for him and some cap relief by doing so for awhile. 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Most of the teams that have a QB worse than Baker don't want him, they would rather have a chance at drafting a QB in the next draft. Why have Baker come to your team just so you can get a worse draft pick? Baker is like the next Fitz, he wont get you anywhere but will get you draft picks that are mid level and might end up taking you out of position for the QB you want.

Exactly.  Like Ryan Tannehill.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.