Are there any NFL teams with a #1 QB worse than Baker Mayfield?

tomur67

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t disagree that we’ve seen Baker perform at a higher level to date.  If you only look to stats to back your point, than yes, the choice is Baker.  

But when looking at the QB position, you have to look at overall potential.  After 4 years, Baler has shown marginal growth.  He’s small and got broken.  Now he’s crying that the browns set him up to lose on purpose.  Meanwhile, nobody is standing up for him.  No one wants him to come in and lead their team.  Nfl players are vocal on social media.  Literal crickets regarding Baker.  That means something. 

Wilson has better physical tools and isn’t a stooge.  I think we saw the best version of Baker in 2020.  If I had to choose, I’d take the higher ceiling and potential of Wilson over the highly combustible higher floor of Baker. 

I bolded the biggest problem with Mayfield that I see.   Essentially, he made the same mistakes in 2021 that he was making in 2019 and 2020.  Cleveland didn't decide to move on from Mayfield because his physical play suffered from his injury but he was still making the same kind of stupid decisions as a fourth year QB he was making as a sophomore.  I'm not sure that he's put in enough time/effort into understanding the mental nuances of playing QB in the NFL.  He obviously doesn't learn from his mistakes because he keeps making the same ones again and again. 

Mayfield also doesn't take responsibility for his own mistakes but blames others, which is simply unacceptable in an NFL QB.   He's done it repeatedly, and it's likely why he's doesn't get support from his teammates.  IOW, he not only has progressed enough to become a top QB, he doesn't seem to have the personality to be one, either.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Worth the baggage and the money - Progressive.

Baker Mayfield is not better than Jared Goff.

• Vomit 1

It has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with what Cleveland expects to get in return for him. Getting Watson was literally the dumbest move you could make as a front office. There is now way to predict how long he could end up suspended for. It could be games. It could be seasons. Hell, it could be indefinitely. So the Browns have to approach trade offers as they are trading their starting QB. Because they are, most likely. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Look it up... 

Plurality not majority

OMG Mets fans make up 90%+ of fans at Mets home games. That's a majority not a plurality. You are funny guy......carry on....😁

Edited by cba fan
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, cba fan said:

OMG Mets fans make up 90%+ of fans at Mets home games. That's a majority not a plurality. You are funny guy......carry on....😁

I am talking about any county.  COUNTY.   All the residents.  For example... Bills fans are the majority in Erie County. 

For the Jets, Mets, and Nets... They don't hold a majority of fans in any county in America,  even their home county (Mets Queens/NYC)... 

Yes, plurality,  but not majority. 

Jeesh... Don't get so offended!

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/4/25/5652302/fans-without-borders

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the thing with Baker is that you have to build a fantastic team around him on both sides of the ball and then you have to have a specific offense. …. If you’re a good enough GM and can build a team good a guy like Josh Allen can still go to your stadium and whip your butt.

Baker is a very limited QB, imho….

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am talking about any county.  COUNTY.   All the residents.  For example... Bills fans are the majority in Erie County. 

For the Jets, Mets, and Nets... They don't hold a majority of fans in any county in America,  even their home county (Mets Queens/NYC)... 

Yes, plurality,  but not majority. 

Jeesh... Don't get so offended!

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2014/4/25/5652302/fans-without-borders

I am talking about the county too. Queens is its own county by the way. Here is map. I am not arguing, just pointing out how absurdly wrong you are on the Mets. Giants and Dodgers fans both hated Yankees so very few switched to Yankees. 

mets 2.odt

Edited by cba fan

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

I am talking about the county too. Queens is its own county by the way. Here is map. I am not arguing, just pointing out how absurdly wrong you are on the Mets. Giants and Dodger fans both hated Mets so very few switched to Yankees. 

mets 2.odtUnavailable

I am too.  😆...  Even in Queens County.

S9IMRA7.jpg

4 hours ago, wjag said:

The demise of Baker Mayfield is stunning.  From Heisman Trophy winning number 1 draft pick to on his way to NFL exile is breathtaking.   The Browns have done him and the NFL dirty and continue to dirty him.  The entire NFL is pissed at the Browns for fully guaranteeing a contract to a deviant.  They are going to let them burn.  It would not surprise me in the least to see Baker hold a roster spot all season on the Browns the way Deshaun did in Houston.  The Browns are going to eat 18.5M for their actions.  Have we ever seen such a dramatic fall from grace as Mayfield in such a short amount of time?

I've seen worse. #1 overall picks who never amounted to anything.  Heisman winners who never played a down in the NFL-Charlie Ward chose the NBA over the NFL.  Other Heisman winners were busts &/or late round career backups.  

The Browns did not do Mayfield dirty.  They wanted to upgrade from him. Responsible teams upgrade positions.  If Watson gets suspended, all Mayfield has to do is grow up & look at what Drew Brees did.  Brees' replacement was drafted by the Chargers and Brees sucked it up & played lights out for 2 seasons and then left for NO and had a HOF career.  A Watson suspension would be a great opportunity if Mayfield understood the opportunity that he still might have.  Instead he's whining about wanting to be on another team instead of looking to prove his value in Cleveland like Brees did in San Diego.  His best chance to light it up is in an offense he already knows because if he doesn't go to a new team soon, he'll be behind the learning curve of the other QBs on the new team.   

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

you are wrong. Mets are large majority in Queens.

Nope.

o-MLB-FAN-MAP-900.jpg?5

Read the bottom part.  Same with Jets.  There are no counties where fans like the Mets as a majority. Not even Queens.  😆 

It says:

*There are no US counties where a plurality of fans like the NYMets, Toronto Blue Jays, or Oakland Athletics.

😏

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The Browns aren't trading him - I read it's possible that Watson gets a TWO YEAR suspension.  I think that depends on the Civil cases but it's obviously all speculation.  

I can see this pathetic franchise holding Baker because of Watson potentially missing at least most or all of this season.

Turning to Baker and asking him to play for them .....lots of possibilities on the table.  

If he was getting traded it would have happened by now.  

They aren't sure the deal with Watson.  

As reported in the story, the reason he wasn't traded was that Carolina wouldn't pay a big chunk of Baker's salary, and Cleveland wouldn't pay a big chunk of it to see him play in Carolina.

They'd like to trade him. The contract makes it very difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.