Are there any NFL teams with a #1 QB worse than Baker Mayfield?

tomur67

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Of all these teams you listed, I like Davis Mills better than them all, so Mayfield shouldn’t go to Houston. 😁

I think I only watched one Texans game last year and it was against us where he was god awful.  He threw four picks and less than 100 yards so maybe my vision of him is skewed.

11 minutes ago, mannc said:

He’s better that Wilson right now, but that doesn’t mean that most teams would rather have him than Wilson. There’s a chance that Wilson will become a very good QB…less likely that Mayfield will.

Yup.  Meanwhile only one team in the entire nfl is contemplating a move for him.  Seattle has lock, Eason and geno……and they have a top 10 playmaking unit…..and still won’t roll the dice on Baker. 

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Still? Even after drafting Corral?

He's pretty raw and pry isn't ready to start out of the gates.  Scouts were worried about his size, ability to quickly progress through his reads, and his maturity.  I can't think of a better mentor than Baker Mayfield.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Browns aren't trading him - I read it's possible that Watson gets a TWO YEAR suspension.  I think that depends on the Civil cases but it's obviously all speculation.  

I can see this pathetic franchise holding Baker because of Watson potentially missing at least most or all of this season.

Turning to Baker and asking him to play for them .....lots of possibilities on the table.  

If he was getting traded it would have happened by now.  

They aren't sure the deal with Watson.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Worth the baggage and the money - Progressive.

This is a very accurate list. A healthy Mayfield would definitely be better than any our afce rival qbs. But he's still destined to being a backup like Darnold very soon.  Next years qb class will be much bigger so Baker's window is quickly closing. 

22 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think I only watched one Texans game last year and it was against us where he was god awful.  He threw four picks and less than 100 yards so maybe my vision of him is skewed.

He got much better after the Bills debacle and showed some real promise, including beating the Chargers when LA was desperate for a win in a playoff chase.

The demise of Baker Mayfield is stunning.  From Heisman Trophy winning number 1 draft pick to on his way to NFL exile is breathtaking.   The Browns have done him and the NFL dirty and continue to dirty him.  The entire NFL is pissed at the Browns for fully guaranteeing a contract to a deviant.  They are going to let them burn.  It would not surprise me in the least to see Baker hold a roster spot all season on the Browns the way Deshaun did in Houston.  The Browns are going to eat 18.5M for their actions.  Have we ever seen such a dramatic fall from grace as Mayfield in such a short amount of time?

2 hours ago, tomur67 said:

I would think some team would want him.  He's still young.  You know he's got the talent.  If your team needs a good starting QB can you afford to wait until he's released? Are there hidden problems with Baker that we don't know about?

I don't think you are going to get the responses you thought you would.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Seriously?.  Baker is a guy we all watched play ball during a stellar college career.  He had a great rookie season, and in 2020 he went over 4000 yards with 30 TDs on 9 Ints and won a playoff game in a crappy football organization.  Last year he was hurt.

Wilson is a mediocre QB from a second tier school who looks like another 1st/2nd round Jets QB disaster to go with Darnold, Hackenberg and Gino Smith.

Baker has his deficits for sure, but he's light years ahead of this kid Wilson, who looks like he's a 12 year old kid joyriding in his dad's car out there.  Baker is a balls out character.  Jets need that.  They are one of the softest teams in the league.  But the would probably need a more seasoned HC to make it work.  Saleh is toatlly lost.

As a Bills fan I would be really careful about assigning a QB ceiling after a rookie season. We saw it with our own.

Wilson does not have the traits or physical ability of Josh Allen, but name 5 other NFL QBs who do.

Wilson does have some upside and is only entering season two. The Jets have been doing a lot of things right to make Wilson as successful as possible in year two. Additions to OL and weapons are smart to evaluate a QB in the NFL. If this was year 3 or 4 with Wilson and he had a season like last year, yes I would agree get Mayfield. At this point no, I agree with the Jets 🤢. Set your QB up to succeed. There is a chance the Jets could land Mayfield a year or two from now with a loaded roster.

Miami fuc#ed with Tua early, and it set them back. Miami is back to evaluating Tua in year three like a rookie. I guess they improved OL. The WR room is stocked. I think Tua is limited and Miami would worry me more if Baker Mayfield ended up in Miami. Even then Baker struggled with OBJ and Landry as WR with a better run game. Heck I would rather start Mariotta/Trubisky than Tua. If the new staff decides to move on it will be with a rookie QB, which is good and will waste more of Waddle/ Hill best years.

New England is rolling with Mac in year two as they should. He did more than a broken down Cam Newton did. They also took a rookie QB in the 4th. New England looks like it is playing football from 5-10 years ago. They have a bunch of young WR and TE, none are studs. They blew up their OL only to try to rebuild it. Not sure that helps Mac much. New England did the least to help their young QB.

AFC East QB rankings:

1) Allen - not even close

2) Wilson - has a good arm, surrounded by talent, best ceiling after Allen

3) Mac - System QB, game manager, Chad Pennington

4) Tua - bust from day 1. No NFL traits or mentality, injuries

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm sure teams want him but the Browns basically put a notice in to the rest of the league when they signed Watson that he's done there. 

Every team is going to offer a bag of footballs to trade for him or just wait until they cut him. 

The Browns aren’t going to cut Mayfield unless it’s well into the season.  If they cut him they would still have to pay him.  No reason to do that or give him what he wants - an outright release that would let him chose where to go.  At absolute worst why wouldn’t they eat all of his salary except the vet minimum, take a swap of late round picks and trade him to the NFC?

The Browns are waiting for a team to either realize they have nothing at QB or see their starter get injured.  Then they have some leverage.  No need to sell at the bottom of the market. 

59 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Browns aren't trading him - I read it's possible that Watson gets a TWO YEAR suspension.  I think that depends on the Civil cases but it's obviously all speculation.  

I can see this pathetic franchise holding Baker because of Watson potentially missing at least most or all of this season.

Turning to Baker and asking him to play for them .....lots of possibilities on the table.  

If he was getting traded it would have happened by now.  

They aren't sure the deal with Watson.  

Very interesting perspective. Mayfield is plan B for Cleveland, depending on what the NFL does with Watson. As plan B, Baker is near the top.

If I was Mayfield's agent I would ask for a clean release. Future and guaranteed money dropped.

If not released Mayfield will hold out and sit (will not play).

Baker Mayfield has 4 accrued seasons, so he would be a Free Agent (no waivers).

At this point being a FA is Mayfield's best course. He could negotiate with any team he wants to play with. He could chose to fight for a starting spot or go the Trubisky route, make a few million, and be a backup while he reorganizes his brand and attitude.

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Browns aren’t going to cut Mayfield unless it’s well into the season.  If they cut him they would still have to pay him.  No reason to do that or give him what he wants - an outright release that would let him chose where to go.  At absolute worst why wouldn’t they eat all of his salary except the vet minimum, take a swap of late round picks and trade him to the NFC?

The Browns are waiting for a team to either realize they have nothing at QB or see their starter get injured.  Then they have some leverage.  No need to sell at the bottom of the market. 

What if Mayfield and his agent asked for a clean release? 0 future and guaranteed money?

With 4 accrued seasons he would be a FA.

18 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Baker has hit his ceiling and everyone smart has seen it.

IMO his ceiling is better than 10-15 or so other QBs who will start this year. His contract/ mentality is not worth it at the moment.

If he gets released then I see a number of teams looking for his services.

Cleveland is very stuck. They have a playoff roster. They took on Watson to push them over the edge.

The problem is no one knows what the Watson situation looks like. By grabbing him, they made a mess with Mayfield.

Even if Watson ends up missing 4-8 games, who starts the first half of the season?

If Cleveland thought Mayfield would start those games and then just give up control of the team, that was foolish.

2 hours ago, mannc said:

He’s better that Wilson right now, but that doesn’t mean that most teams would rather have him than Wilson. There’s a chance that Wilson will become a very good QB…less likely that Mayfield will.

The question is if I were the Jets, who would I rather have as QB right now.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don’t disagree that we’ve seen Baker perform at a higher level to date.  If you only look to stats to back your point, than yes, the choice is Baker.  

But when looking at the QB position, you have to look at overall potential.  After 4 years, Baler has shown marginal growth.  He’s small and got broken.  Now he’s crying that the browns set him up to lose on purpose.  Meanwhile, nobody is standing up for him.  No one wants him to come in and lead their team.  Nfl players are vocal on social media.  Literal crickets regarding Baker.  That means something. 

Wilson has better physical tools and isn’t a stooge.  I think we saw the best version of Baker in 2020.  If I had to choose, I’d take the higher ceiling and potential of Wilson over the highly combustible higher floor of Baker. 

I wouldn't be bothered by that.  Obviously the Jets spent a high 1st round pick on Wilson--they aren't going to walk away unless he has the same type of sophomore season.   

Wilson and Baker are the same size.  

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

As a Bills fan I would be really careful about assigning a QB ceiling after a rookie season. We saw it with our own.

Wilson does not have the traits or physical ability of Josh Allen, but name 5 other NFL QBs who do.

Wilson does have some upside and is only entering season two. The Jets have been doing a lot of things right to make Wilson as successful as possible in year two. Additions to OL and weapons are smart to evaluate a QB in the NFL. If this was year 3 or 4 with Wilson and he had a season like last year, yes I would agree get Mayfield. At this point no, I agree with the Jets 🤢. Set your QB up to succeed. There is a chance the Jets could land Mayfield a year or two from now with a loaded roster.

Miami fuc#ed with Tua early, and it set them back. Miami is back to evaluating Tua in year three like a rookie. I guess they improved OL. The WR room is stocked. I think Tua is limited and Miami would worry me more if Baker Mayfield ended up in Miami. Even then Baker struggled with OBJ and Landry as WR with a better run game. Heck I would rather start Mariotta/Trubisky than Tua. If the new staff decides to move on it will be with a rookie QB, which is good and will waste more of Waddle/ Hill best years.

New England is rolling with Mac in year two as they should. He did more than a broken down Cam Newton did. They also took a rookie QB in the 4th. New England looks like it is playing football from 5-10 years ago. They have a bunch of young WR and TE, none are studs. They blew up their OL only to try to rebuild it. Not sure that helps Mac much. New England did the least to help their young QB.

AFC East QB rankings:

1) Allen - not even close

2) Wilson - has a good arm, surrounded by talent, best ceiling after Allen

3) Mac - System QB, game manager, Chad Pennington

4) Tua - bust from day 1. No NFL traits or mentality, injuries

It's time to move past comparing any "raw" QB coming into the NFL as a potential Josh Allen story.  If nothing else, the past 3 seasons have shown us how unlikely that is.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Jets, Mets, & Nets... Only teams in the country that have no home.  Not one county in the US that has a majority of their fans there.

You can go to any one of their stadiums and find the majority of fans residing there root for the "other team." 😆 

Funny... They all have names that are similar too... It's like God planned it this way. 😆 

No lol. This is patently not true. Obviously you have never been to Mets games or Queens county. Jeesh. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.