Are there any NFL teams with a #1 QB worse than Baker Mayfield?

tomur67

I would think some team would want him.  He's still young.  You know he's got the talent.  If your team needs a good starting QB can you afford to wait until he's released? Are there hidden problems with Baker that we don't know about?

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Worth the baggage and the money - Progressive.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

A healthy Baker?  Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Lions, Bears, Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers, Saints

Jets? Are you kidding?

I just read on jetnation that if Denzel Mims becomes what he was drafted to be their offense could become truly unstoppable!

:)

• Haha (+1) 13

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Jets? Are you kidding?

I just read on jetnation that if Denzel Mims becomes what he was drafted to be their offense could become truly unstoppable!

God bless Jets fans.  It takes a lot to stay with a team after being promised paradise during the off-season and then being kicked in the nuts during the season for the 17 year drought like we did.  They've been doing it the last 52 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm sure teams want him but the Browns basically put a notice in to the rest of the league when they signed Watson that he's done there. 

Every team is going to offer a bag of footballs to trade for him or just wait until they cut him. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Jets? Are you kidding?

You don’t think Mayfield is better than Zach Wilson??

come on

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

I would think some team would want him.  He's still young.  You know he's got the talent.  If your team needs a good starting QB can you afford to wait until he's released? Are there hidden problems with Baker that we don't know about?

Unless Cleveland picks up most of his salary why would you take a chance on a possible rental player?

• Like (+1) 3

Teams do want his but not at the price that the Browns want. Part of that is because he isn't a top tier QB (he's decent, but not top tier) and partly it's down to the other franchises looking dimly on the Watson deal so not wanting to get the Brown's out of a tight spot.

I read an article yesterday which said the Browns may try and cut Mayfield on behavioural grounds so they don't have to pay him off. Unfortunately I can see him playing into their hands on that one.

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

God bless Jets fans.  It takes a lot to stay with a team after being promised paradise during the off-season and then being kicked in the nuts during the season for the 17 year drought like we did.  They've been doing it the last 52 years.

Jets, Mets, & Nets... Only teams in the country that have no home.  Not one county in the US that has a majority of their fans there.

You can go to any one of their stadiums and find the majority of fans residing there root for the "other team." 😆 

Funny... They all have names that are similar too... It's like God planned it this way. 😆 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

30 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Unless Cleveland picks up most of his salary why would you take a chance on a possible rental player?

And Cleveland has to be being stubborn on that point. As mentioned above his salary is fully guaranteed, everybody knows he isn’t their guy, and Cleveland has earned zero favors from anyone in the league at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

if you had to choose between Wilson and Baker, you’d choose Baker?

Seriously?.  Baker is a guy we all watched play ball during a stellar college career.  He had a great rookie season, and in 2020 he went over 4000 yards with 30 TDs on 9 Ints and won a playoff game in a crappy football organization.  Last year he was hurt.

Wilson is a mediocre QB from a second tier school who looks like another 1st/2nd round Jets QB disaster to go with Darnold, Hackenberg and Gino Smith.

Baker has his deficits for sure, but he's light years ahead of this kid Wilson, who looks like he's a 12 year old kid joyriding in his dad's car out there.  Baker is a balls out character.  Jets need that.  They are one of the softest teams in the league.  But the would probably need a more seasoned HC to make it work.  Saleh is toatlly lost.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

He will find a home, and one where he can compete to start when he is cut.

No one is taking on his salary with last year's production and injuries, and his current head space.

Baker Mayfield is probably QB20 or so in the league (+5/-5) given the situation/ health.

A lot of teams in the AFC are set, or looking at young QBs in season 2-3 as a starter. No one wants a controversy.

NFC has more opportunities. Seattle/ Atlanta and Carolina are obvious. Could compete in Detroit/ Washington/ Saints

If he is smart he will do a Trubisky and sit a season as a backup to a successful team with a stud QB and reform his image.

Tampa would be ideal. Solid team. Brady is the starter. Brady is also ancient, but could learn from him and have an outside chance to play this season.

Regardless, he would have the inside track to succeed Brady on a team with a very good offense in a weak division.

If I am Baker I just ask to be cut and work like a dog to get an invite to Tampa.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

Teams do want his but not at the price that the Browns want. Part of that is because he isn't a top tier QB (he's decent, but not top tier) and partly it's down to the other franchises looking dimly on the Watson deal so not wanting to get the Brown's out of a tight spot.

I read an article yesterday which said the Browns may try and cut Mayfield on behavioural grounds so they don't have to pay him off. Unfortunately I can see him playing into their hands on that one.

He should try to get cut and drive his own future as a free agent IMO. If that means settling on less guaranteed money from Cleveland, do it. Lose the battle, humble yourself and win the war.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/7/2022 at 12:10 PM, Mr. WEO said:

You don’t think Mayfield is better than Zach Wilson??

come on

He’s better than Wilson right now, but that doesn’t mean that most teams would rather have him than Wilson. There’s a chance that Wilson will become a very good QB…less likely that Mayfield will.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Of all these teams you listed, I like Davis Mills better than them all, so Mayfield shouldn’t go to Houston. 😁

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Seriously?.  Baker is a guy we all watched play ball during a stellar college career.  He had a great rookie season, and in 2020 he went over 4000 yards with 30 TDs on 9 Ints and won a playoff game in a crappy football organization.  Last year he was hurt.

Wilson is a mediocre QB from a second tier school who looks like another 1st/2nd round Jets QB disaster to go with Darnold, Hackenberg and Gino Smith.

Baker has his deficits for sure, but he's light years ahead of this kid Wilson, who looks like he's a 12 year old kid joyriding in his dad's car out there.  Baker is a balls out character.  Jets need that.  They are one of the softest teams in the league.  But the would probably need a more seasoned HC to make it work.  Saleh is toatlly lost.

I don’t disagree that we’ve seen Baker perform at a higher level to date.  If you only look to stats to back your point, than yes, the choice is Baker.  

But when looking at the QB position, you have to look at overall potential.  After 4 years, Baler has shown marginal growth.  He’s small and got broken.  Now he’s crying that the browns set him up to lose on purpose.  Meanwhile, nobody is standing up for him.  No one wants him to come in and lead their team.  Nfl players are vocal on social media.  Literal crickets regarding Baker.  That means something. 

Wilson has better physical tools and isn’t a stooge.  I think we saw the best version of Baker in 2020.  If I had to choose, I’d take the higher ceiling and potential of Wilson over the highly combustible higher floor of Baker. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.