Marcell Dareus at Ravens camp

BillsMafi$

9 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

I had to google it.

Reading this it wasn't clear if he was visiting or playing.

He's trying out.

At 32, as a player who lost his drive as a younger more capable guy, I doubt it'll work. Not impossible, though, if he's willing to accept a much much lower level of contract than he's used to.

If nothing else, he'd make a good lesson for the rest of the team. Here's a guy who had All Pro talent and frittered it away.

Edited by Thurman#1

He went through a lot…… man lost his mother, father, brother, grandmother and mentor(high school coach) all before the age of 26. Gotta believe something like takes a toll on you mentally and makes you lose your passion for the game. What do I know…….carry on.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-dareus-keeps-playing-through-life-s-losses/article_be1b05a5-f8a3-5141-9ecc-afa19476e595.amp.html

Edited by streetkings01
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

He went through a lot…… man lost his mother, father, brother, grandmother and mentor(high school coach) all before the age of 26. Gotta believe something like takes a toll on you mentally and makes you lose your passion for the game. What do I know…….carry on.

He did. That really is a very fair observation.

But plenty of folks respond to terrible events by working harder, by taking better control over what they do.

Still, you make a great point. I should try to better understand the guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BTB said:

If they want to be fooled into a contract by this clown, then the joke is on them.  

There is no way he could have blown through all his money already, and therefore, is looking for more…is it?

This is how football players make money, by playing football.

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-dareus-keeps-playing-through-life-s-losses/article_be1b05a5-f8a3-5141-9ecc-afa19476e595.amp.html

Anybody who bad mouths Marcel Dareus should take a look at their own life 

The dude went through hell and still all prod for us ... We've had much worse draft picks who never performed 

And he always was a good guy in and around the town

• Like (+1) 1

I give him credit for even being back in the mix. I've got no hate for Marcell, we're on to better things anyway. We all knew he wasn't a Hall of Famer a decade ago so I'm kind of rooting for him at this point. It really feels like an incredibly long time ago since he was a Bill, I'm surprised to see he's only 32. He hasn't played since 2019 so perhaps this means he's been improving things. I think it would be pretty cool to see him suit up again, just in terms of a life story kind of thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I don't disagree with you, in terms of his talent and what a was it's been.  

But there's no shame in it, no shame at all.  What these guys do, the training, the working, the dieting, it requires significant personal discipline.  It's a bit like being in the military.  It's not for everyone, living a life with that kind of discipline.  McDermott lives that way, and he and Beane are filling the team with that kind of person, but McDermott has respect for the fact that some people simply aren't wired that way.  

So, there's no shame in completing your rookie deal showing just enough promise to sign a $95M contract know that you had no desire to continue playing with the same effort? Traded 1 season and change after signing that contract? 

If it wasn't for him he knew that back in college if not earlier.

Tub of ***** goo.

9 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Shows the quality of some people. They would rather talk trash about him because football. 

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Shows the quality of some people. They would rather talk trash about him because football. 

Yeah, it was obvious even back then that Marcel deserved our empathy and was likely burdened by significant mental health issues.  I blame the Bills’ FO at the time for not realizing this and dedicating significant resources to the situation (or drafting someone else).

I feel like if Marcel had been brought into the current Bills culture the story would have ended differently.

• Agree 3

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I don't disagree with you, in terms of his talent and what a was it's been.  

But there's no shame in it, no shame at all.  What these guys do, the training, the working, the dieting, it requires significant personal discipline.  It's a bit like being in the military.  It's not for everyone, living a life with that kind of discipline.  McDermott lives that way, and he and Beane are filling the team with that kind of person, but McDermott has respect for the fact that some people simply aren't wired that way.  

I look at the transition from college to NFL similar to high school to college.   When you get to college you set your own schedule other than required classes, have counselors with most part you can choose to ignore and when you fail you basically are out unless you choose to go to some other route like a community college which has lower standards or a private commercial college which as long as you pay they really don't care if you succeed even encouraging you to get loans which you may not be able to repay back even if you finish their curriculum.  It is all up to you, your abilities and your effort.

He had a lot of support in college including living at one time with one of his coaches.  When he got to NFL he got paid far more than he knew how to handle and he had lots of choices for help both from NFLPA and NFL and for most he did not take.  He knew he had issues and money for serious professional help but choose not to get it.

18 hours ago, Rigotz said:

It's sad to see this guy turn into a punchline.

Clearly he still loves some of our favorite players and he had all the talent in the world.

Try not to forget:

- His brother was murdered during Dareus's time on the Bills.

- His father died when he was 6.

- His mother was too sick to care for him and his siblings, so he lived with his coach, who was later killed in a car crash.

- His mother then died when he was 20.

It's tough not to hate him after he underperformed such a big contract, but the guy had a tough life and it clearly got the best of him. Important to keep that in mind, because I'm only seeing fat jokes and hate in the thread.

I don't understand hating someone I don't know. Just don't get it.

4 hours ago, Beerball said:

So, there's no shame in completing your rookie deal showing just enough promise to sign a $95M contract know that you had no desire to continue playing with the same effort? Traded 1 season and change after signing that contract? 

If it wasn't for him he knew that back in college if not earlier.

Tub of ***** goo.

Nope, no shame in maximizing your earnings.

The goal is to get the most money you can in this league. At least for 99% of the players, including Bates. Marcell got paid and good for him. The Bills are still making a ton of money, that contract didn't hurt the franchise. A ton of players don't make it through their first contract (injuries, etc.), he did and got offered a new contract. Again, good for him. 

IMO, people writing stuff like your last "sentence" are idiots who take this way to personal.

Tub of **** goo?!? Really?!?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.