Marcell Dareus at Ravens camp

BillsMafi$

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Derrick Coleman of the NFL.  HOF talent, Hall of Shame desire.

Wouldn’t it absolutely SUCK if something clicked and he became the player he was capable of being? On the Ravens???

Yeah, I’m not too worried about it either. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

It's sad to see this guy turn into a punchline.

Clearly he still loves some of our favorite players and he had all the talent in the world.

Try not to forget:

- His brother was murdered during Dareus's time on the Bills.

- His father died when he was 6.

- His mother was too sick to care for him and his siblings, so he lived with his coach, who was later killed in a car crash.

- His mother then died when he was 20.

It's tough not to hate him after he underperformed such a big contract, but the guy had a tough life and it clearly got the best of him. Important to keep that in mind, because I'm only seeing fat jokes and hate in the thread.

This is all true, and people have been broken by less. As a person, I sympathize with him.

Separating the human being and the player is always tough.

I feel Seantrell Henderson and even Cole Beasley have been unfairly caught in the TBD/TSW sniper fire.

That all said, it is not like he was left on his own in Buffalo.

The Bills acknowledged his losses and tried to help. A lot of employers to everyday people do a lot less.

Buffalo took him in the 1st before everyone else, clearly wanted him.

They stood by him during his off field issues and losses

Buffalo offered him professional mental health services free of charge, when things started spiraling. He said what he needed to, to get paid but never went.

Kyle Williams personally tried to be a Big Brother and mentor

Got a $100M 2nd contract, despite everything known behind closed doors, and up and down production, and chose to loaf/ refuse help

Despite all of that he had a second chance in Jacksonville.

Buffalo traded him in 2017. It is all conjecture, but Buffalo did trade him to one of the closest teams in the South to what remained of his base at home.

in 2018 he had 2 sexual assault charges (Civil) - including a claim he gave a woman Herpes

After 2019 he was out of the league.

A lot of people deal with a lot of terrible things in life. You may be surprised the things some people on this board have been able to overcome.

Loss ends up being a big part of all people's lives. Some folks face it earlier than others, or in concentrated clusters.

MD faced a lot of loss in a very short span, early in life, and I can sympathize with that.

Maybe MD was too young/ proud/ hurt at the moment to take the help offered. He would not be the first man to do so and he won't be the last.

But at some point a person is responsible for their own actions.

No one is laughing at his losses, just his poor decisions and their outcomes.

As much as I laugh along, a part of me does hope he has a redemption lap. Even my thoughts about Ryan Leaf have changed.

Given his history you can understand why people are skeptical.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol,   Then the NFL throughout it's history has been littered with guys who had "HOF talent".....for a season or 2.  He averaged 7 sacks a season over his 4 best seasons.  

Which is pretty high level production for a 3 tech in fairness. And he played a combo of 3T and 1T. The talent was there. The want to was not.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wouldn’t it absolutely SUCK if something clicked and he became the player he was capable of being? On the Ravens???

Yeah, I’m not too worried about it either. 

Seriously, if he's got it together, more power to him.  The odds are definitely against him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Doing what?

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

A lot of people deal with a lot of terrible things in life. You may be surprised the things some people on this board have been able to overcome.

Loss ends up being a big part of all people's lives. Some folks face it earlier than others, or in concentrated clusters.

MD faced a lot of loss in a very short span, early in life, and I can sympathize with that.

Maybe MD was too young/ proud/ hurt at the moment to take the help offered. He would not be the first man to do so and he won't be the last.

This

I remember at one point it was reported that Marcell Dareus had left the team to go into some kind of rehab

Then IIRC he was pictured night-clubbing on Chippewa in his Captain's Hat and it turned out he'd visited with Bruce Smith for a bit

No rehab, no focused effort

As you say - at some point a person is responsible for their choices and actions

A lot of these guys come from rough backgrounds and have a lot of loss and trauma around them as they are growing up and afterwards.  I don't say that to minimize MD's tragedies but just to put in perspective

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mikemac2001 said:

Would Mcbeane draft this guy?

I say no way and that’s why I trust their judgement 

PS he was having a good time after the falcons road game 4-5 years back and seemed like a good guy “was wearing his captain hat” great day

No way McBeane draft him.  No way.  I say that because they wouldn't have identified in his past sufficient evidence that he had the work ethic, the burning competitiveness and the team values that McBeane demand.   I think McBeane rarely take guys who need to learn these behaviors.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He'll get a free Captain's cap, for showing up....

🎶 Love...love will keep us together...🎵

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Which is pretty high level production for a 3 tech in fairness. And he played a combo of 3T and 1T. The talent was there. The want to was not.

Do, or no do.  There was often no try.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I remember at one point it was reported that Marcell Dareus had left the team to go into some kind of rehab

Then IIRC he was pictured night-clubbing on Chippewa in his Captain's Hat and it turned out he'd visited with Bruce Smith for a bit

No rehab, no focused effort

As you say - at some point a person is responsible for their choices and actions

A lot of these guys come from rough backgrounds and have a lot of loss and trauma around them as they are growing up and afterwards.  I don't say that to minimize MD's tragedies but just to put in perspective

I forgot about that. 100% correct. He was supposed to be in a rehab/ counseling situation and was out partying in Buffalo after some time away. I don't recall the Bruce Smith connection though. I do know Kyle Williams tried to help him. If it was Kyle and Bruce even worse. Imagine being HOF DE Bruce Smith and getting played by Dareus as an alibi? No wonder Bruce is largely 'hands off' the current team.

That is when the sailor hat when from quirky to hated.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

This is all true, and people have been broken by less. As a person, I sympathize with him.

Separating the human being and the player is always tough.

I feel Seantrell Henderson and even Cole Beasley have been unfairly caught in the TBD/TSW sniper fire.

That all said, it is not like he was left on his own in Buffalo.

The Bills acknowledged his losses and tried to help. A lot of employers to everyday people do a lot less.

Buffalo took him in the 1st before everyone else, clearly wanted him.

They stood by him during his off field issues and losses

Buffalo offered him professional mental health services free of charge, when things started spiraling. He said what he needed to, to get paid but never went.

Kyle Williams personally tried to be a Big Brother and mentor

Got a $100M 2nd contract, despite everything known behind closed doors, and up and down production, and chose to loaf/ refuse help

Despite all of that he had a second chance in Jacksonville.

Buffalo traded him in 2017. It is all conjecture, but Buffalo did trade him to one of the closest teams in the South to what remained of his base at home.

in 2018 he had 2 sexual assault charges (Civil) - including a claim he gave a woman Herpes

After 2019 he was out of the league.

As much as I laugh along, a part of me does hope he has a redemption lap. Even my thoughts about Ryan Leaf have changed.

Given his history you can understand why people are skeptical.

I do believe @RocCityRoller might be a true empath.  What amazing insight to share with us.  As a person living with bipolar disorder 1 myself, I can identify with lots of these knuckleheads in so many ways but it’s a truly amazing gift to be able to express difficult and complicated things in this way.  I really appreciate these thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Talented for sure.  All Pro talent.

"HOF talent" gets tossed around as though it is a dominant trait though.  Even at that 2 year year stretch, it's hard to imagine he would be a HOFer after a 10 year (say), given how limited low population is in that group for his position. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why all the bitterness toward the man?  

Unfortunately, he couldn’t keep up the internal drive necessary to reach his full potential on the football field.  He moved on a long time ago.   Some Bills fans should do the same.  I wish him well in life, and look forward to the Bills 2022 season.

41 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

I do believe @RocCityRoller might be a true empath.  What amazing insight to share with us.  As a person living with bipolar disorder 1 myself, I can identify with lots of these knuckleheads in so many ways but it’s a truly amazing gift to be able to express difficult and complicated things in this way.  I really appreciate these thoughts.

Thank you Apocalypse. I am humbled.

I think someone has to be there personally or with family/ friends to get it.

Good luck to you on the day to day.

I used to joke that:
My dad has Bipolar 1 and a dose of PTSD from Vietnam for spice

My sister is Bipolar 1 with psychotic episodes

All of this depressed my mom

I am the loser in my family who had to pay off a psychology degree 🤣

That was before dealing with my own issues.

My best friends and loved ones outside of my family never let me use my issues or background as an excuse for poor behavior.

They expected better from me. Eventually you learn who really loves you, and don't want to let them down.

The real breakthrough is when you learn to love yourself, and hold yourself to a higher standard.

At some point the empathy that enables someone to continue a pattern of self destructive behavior is no longer compassion.

Rock bottom sucks, but for those who can be helped, it is a real turning point.

Thank you again for your post.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It's interesting that a previous poster likened Dareus to Albert Haynesworth.  It was something I thought as well, until I read this, a letter that Albert wrote to his younger self:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

Perhaps Dareus has experienced similar issues, but he looked hungry and HOF bound until he signed that big contract.  In Albert's case, he chased the big money, then was told to "eat space" instead of going after QB.  I'm pretty sure that Marcell was not asked to change his game in any way, he just looked a man with no more desire to play football.

That’s the problem. He was always hungry.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.