Marcell Dareus at Ravens camp

BillsMafi$

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Derrick Coleman of the NFL.  HOF talent, Hall of Shame desire.

You know, I don't disagree with you, in terms of his talent and what a was it's been.  

But there's no shame in it, no shame at all.  What these guys do, the training, the working, the dieting, it requires significant personal discipline.  It's a bit like being in the military.  It's not for everyone, living a life with that kind of discipline.  McDermott lives that way, and he and Beane are filling the team with that kind of person, but McDermott has respect for the fact that some people simply aren't wired that way.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I kinda always felt bad for Marcell. Growing up he literally lost everyone that was close to him and anyone that could be considered family. Even his high school coach who took him in passed away. He had the talent he just never had any real guidance. I know he had plenty of chances and always seemed to shoot himself in the foot. I know Kyle Williams worked a lot with him but even Kyle eventually said there’s only so much he could do.

I genuinely hope Marcell is in a good place and that he can revive his career. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You know, I don't disagree with you, in terms of his talent and what a was it's been.  

But there's no shame in it, no shame at all.  What these guys do, the training, the working, the dieting, it requires significant personal discipline.  It's a bit like being in the military.  It's not for everyone, living a life with that kind of discipline.  McDermott lives that way, and he and Beane are filling the team with that kind of person, but McDermott has respect for the fact that some people simply aren't wired that way.  

It's interesting that a previous poster likened Dareus to Albert Haynesworth.  It was something I thought as well, until I read this, a letter that Albert wrote to his younger self:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/albert-haynesworth-letter-to-my-younger-self

Perhaps Dareus has experienced similar issues, but he looked hungry and HOF bound until he signed that big contract.  In Albert's case, he chased the big money, then was told to "eat space" instead of going after QB.  I'm pretty sure that Marcell was not asked to change his game in any way, he just looked a man with no more desire to play football.

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

The captain's hat needed a walk about.

This was my first thought too 🤣

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

That dude will go anywhere for free food... :D

Is Kelvin Benjamin there too?

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

image.jpeg.0cf63825a1150a60da513e26e9c9fbd6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94e953993e1e86d11d7cd6a2952ddd4e.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.2773828ff6b64ba677f44a32f49934eb.jpeg

The Marcel Dareus starter pack!

You guys are savages 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Dude had HOF talent. 

lol,   Then the NFL throughout it's history has been littered with guys who had "HOF talent".....for a season or 2.  He averaged 7 sacks a season over his 4 best seasons.  

Edited by Mr. WEO

It's sad to see this guy turn into a punchline.

Clearly he still loves some of our favorite players and he had all the talent in the world.

Try not to forget:

- His brother was murdered during Dareus's time on the Bills.

- His father died when he was 6.

- His mother was too sick to care for him and his siblings, so he lived with his coach, who was later killed in a car crash.

- His mother then died when he was 20.

It's tough not to hate him after he underperformed such a big contract, but the guy had a tough life and it clearly got the best of him. Important to keep that in mind, because I'm only seeing fat jokes and hate in the thread.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It's sad to see this guy turn into a punchline.

Clearly he still loves some of our favorite players and he had all the talent in the world.

Try not to forget:

- His brother was murdered during Dareus's time on the Bills.

- His father died when he was 6.

- His mother was too sick to care for him and his siblings, so he lived with his coach, who was later killed in a car crash.

- His mother then died when he was 20.

It's tough not to hate him after he underperformed such a big contract, but the guy had a tough life and it clearly got the best of him. Important to keep that in mind, because I'm only seeing fat jokes and hate in the thread.

Dude got fat.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

He still fits on a uniform? 

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Dude had HOF talent. 

No he had talent but mentally he had issues some of which he disclosed to press.

Kyle Williams took him under his wing for a while.

Bills tried to have him get counseling and he agreed and then did not go.

I do not think the staff at the time did him any favors.

It was a big mistake (Jim Overdorf) to sign him extension without clauses to reclaim bonuses if he did not stay on the straight and narrow.

https://247sports.com/Article/Baltimore-Ravens-host-ex-Alabama-star-DT-Marcell-Dareus-for-tryout-per-report--187296704/

An NFL player who has been out of the league for multiple seasons could be on the brink of a comeback. ESPN reported Thursday that defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, who was not with an NFL team either of the past two years, attended a tryout at the Baltimore Ravens rookie minicamp Saturday.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol,   Then the NFL throughout it's history has been littered with guys who had "HOF talent".....for a season or 2.  He averaged 7 sacks a game over his 4 best seasons.  

7 sacks a game!?! Sign me up!!!

Over 4 x 16 game seasons that is 448 sacks in 4 seasons, shattering Bruce Smith's record!

(I know it was a typo)

Still 7 sacks a season from a DT over a career is HOF worthy.

33 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

He'll get a free Captain's cap, for showing up....

The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

He is playing the part of the albatross 🤣

Edited by RocCityRoller

13 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

7 sacks a game!?! Sign me up!!!

Over 4 x 16 game seasons that is 448 sacks in 4 seasons, shattering Bruce Smith's record!

(I know it was a typo)

Still 7 sacks a season from a DT over a career is HOF worthy.

The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

He is playing the part of the albatross 🤣

lol thanks for catching that error—certainly the only way this guy would ever get into the HOF lol.

Only one season was over 7.5 sacks. He would have been a great Buffalo Bill had he lasted 10 years like that. 

There are only 38 D linemen in the HOF.  Darius was never of that caliber.  

• Like (+1) 1

I know two people who have met Dareus.

One is a former neighbor who drives UberXL. He said he’s the only Buffalo athlete he has driven that tipped him. The only other one he mentioned that he drove was Eichel fwiw. 

My cousin worked the door at DBGBs on Allen. Apparently they had more famous people come through there than you’d think. He said Dareus was the nicest of any of them. He would go there for wings a lot. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

if he put in a minimal of effort he could have stuck around as an "average" NFL player.  He seems to just have relied solely on his talent.  Total waste of it.  I don't think the NFL is anything like the discipline required for the military.  Lots of jobs require discipline/effort/desire.  

46 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I know two people who have met Dareus.

One is a former neighbor who drives UberXL. He said he’s the only Buffalo athlete he has driven that tipped him. The only other one he mentioned that he drove was Eichel fwiw. 

My cousin worked the door at DBGBs on Allen. Apparently they had more famous people come through there than you’d think. He said Dareus was the nicest of any of them. He would go there for wings a lot. 

glad to hear he's a nice guy.  Hopefully with age he has turned it around and is ready to put in the work.  If so, the talent is still there, and that DL for the Ravens could be something.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

if he put in a minimal of effort he could have stuck around as an "average" NFL player.  He seems to just have relied solely on his talent.  Total waste of it.  I don't think the NFL is anything like the discipline required for the military.  Lots of jobs require discipline/effort/desire.  

glad to hear he's a nice guy.  Hopefully with age he has turned it around and is ready to put in the work.  If so, the talent is still there, and that DL for the Ravens could be something.  

I don't disagree.  My point is he couldn't do what you say he needed to do.  He couldn't do it.  It's no different than a 320 pound, muscular DT who just isn't quick enough to get sacks.   We watched him and recognize that despite all his skills, he can't do it.  

What I said is there's no shame in not being able to do.   He can to Buffalo with who he was, a guy with size and talent but not the mental discipline to achieve consistently at a high level.  That's what he came with, and he was unable to learn a different way.   

No shame.  He just couldn't do it.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't disagree.  My point is he couldn't do what you say he needed to do.  He couldn't do it.  It's no different than a 320 pound, muscular DT who just isn't quick enough to get sacks.   We watched him and recognize that despite all his skills, he can't do it.  

What I said is there's no shame in not being able to do.   He can to Buffalo with who he was, a guy with size and talent but not the mental discipline to achieve consistently at a high level.  That's what he came with, and he was unable to learn a different way.   

No shame.  He just couldn't do it.  

Would Mcbeane draft this guy?

I say no way and that’s why I trust their judgement 

PS he was having a good time after the falcons road game 4-5 years back and seemed like a good guy “was wearing his captain hat” great day 

Edited by mikemac2001

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.