Rich Eisen sneakiest great pick

CorkScrewHill

26 minutes ago, nucci said:

still not sneaky...most people called for Bills to draft a RB early in draft

I believe he means that it is sneaky within the context of all the hype discussion about the draft.  He doesn't think that this pick for the Bills is really being talked about as much as it should be given its potential to impact the Bills offense.  I don't think he means sneaky in the sense that this was a pick no one saw coming. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would’t count out Zack Moss. I know he did nothing this year, but he took Devin’s job the year before and was the main guy before he got hurt. I mean he was really, really good. And he has two years left on his deal. 

Between his return to full health and the return to more zone running, Moss is gonna have a major bounce back year and challenge Singletary for snaps.

Everyone already counting him out as a bust are wrong. 

I will die on this hill.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Between his return to full health and the return to more zone running, Moss is gonna have a major bounce back year and challenge Singletary for snaps.

I will die on this hill.

Let’s return to this hill together mid fall! I totally agree. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Yup, and I’m sure you heard Beane’s comments about him not being fully recovered from ankle surgery last year as well.

I’m very pleased with where the RB room sits right now with Motor, Cook, and Moss.

Edit:  and the real reason I opened this thread was to comment that Rich Eisen is another national NFL media guy who has really taken a shine to the Bills.  Nothing but positivity about Allen and what Beane/McD have accomplished.

Same.  While I’ve def been down on Moss, I didn’t take his injury into consideration.

i thought he would be our 3rd rb behind motor and Duke.  Now with Cook and Duke the fold, I’m hoping that Moss will put his best foot forward this offseason.  He saw Motor improve immensely from year 2 to 3.  All 4 of our RBs are from Miami and there’s got to be a ton of pride on the line.  If there’s ever a time for him to show he belongs, it’s right now.  He’s not the power back that we were hoping for, but he’s capable of bringing the hammer.  If he can turn out to be a capable short distance back, he and Cook could be our duo for the 23 season.  

Optimism and hope.  Do your thing Mossmode.  I’m rooting for you.  

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Let’s return to this hill together mid fall! I totally agree. 

I’m with ya’s!!three amigos GIF

• Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

I will die on this hill.

I don't know man. I have never been a Singletary fan, but what he did at the end of the season and in the playoffs opened my eyes.

The addition of Bates who can pull at OG (Ford/ Feliciano/ Boettger could not) and Singletary getting enough snaps to get into a rhythm was a real boon for Devin and the offense. He paid dividends. DS ran like a man possessed against New England in the playoff game. Jukes, hard runs inside, broken tackles, enough burst to get outside, especially with Bates pulling and McKenzie in motion to the run side. He looked good. Nice catch % by the end of the season too.

I don't think he is a pure #1 RB, but a lot of teams have moved on from that concept.

I see a Singeltary/ Cook RB mix a bit like Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard in Cincy before they got Mixon.

Hill was a better/ physical pure runner than Singletary, but Cook should be Gio Bernard at his very floor. Moss is neither of those guys.

I don't see Moss as any faster than Singletary, he isn't a power runner in the NFL and Singletary has really improved as a receiver. Moss is probably the best pass blocking back on the team, but if the Bills are putting Moss in on 3r down, then why draft Cook?

My guess is Moss is battling Johnson for 3rd RB and whoever that is, is not active on a lot of game day rosters.

As for Cook. I see Gio Bernard floor and Austin Ekeler ceiling. Not sure Cook can put up the 1k/1k rushing receiving season McCffrey did, but that type of use really has burned up McCaffrey. Cook's size probably prohibits that type of usage too. In limited rush attempts Cook did average over 6 Yards per Carry!

I would try Cook on KR in the preseason. He did some at Georgia early on. It's a chance to get him in the open field with the ball. If he can hold down KR he will be active as KR/ 3rd down back. I'm good with that. If he can be a KR weapon, then I could see an Eric Metcalf type of career for Cook.

Rich is good people. He was the guy they trusted to carry the NFL Network when it debuted and he’s always nailed whatever he’s done. I dig his show and I like how he brings in guests from all walks of life. 

He’s been pretty optimistic ever since they hired McDermott and Beane, and he’s been pretty high on Allen from the jump. I think it was after the Broncos game in 2020, he talked at length about how impressive Josh had been that season and how as Bills fans we can finally sit back and say, “finally, we’ve got our guy.”

I think Cook gets the “sneaky” tag because until his final year at Georgia he kinda flew under the radar there and didn’t have a real big role in the offense. But, he must’ve done something right because the dude he played behind, Zamir White, who was seen as the bell cow didn’t go until the fourth (pick 122 overall by Raiders). I’m eager to see how things shake out with the running backs. Based on Beane’s recent comments they’re still in on Zack Moss. Beane mentioned that Moss had ankle surgery before the ‘21 season and couldn’t cut off his left side as effectively as usual. I thought Moss was gonna be the guy based on his play early in the season. He had like four TDs and was starting, had that gnarly goal line TD against Miami where he absorbed a monster hit and then ran over the defender for the score. But then he fizzled, and as the season went on it was clear that Singletary was more effective. I wonder if they keep the three of them and have Singletary and Moss handle a bulk of the carries while having plays drawn up for Cook where they can get him in space. 

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It is mind blowing to think that even 2 years ago nobody would be thinking .. oh the Bills just got player X .. it is not fair to other teams .. we are in the twilight zone and it is awesome

A future hall of fame QB does that.

Us fans can't blink.

13 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't know man. I have never been a Singletary fan, but what he did at the end of the season and in the playoffs opened my eyes.

The addition of Bates who can pull at OG (Ford/ Feliciano/ Boettger could not) and Singletary getting enough snaps to get into a rhythm was a real boon for Devin and the offense. He paid dividends. DS ran like a man possessed against New England in the playoff game. Jukes, hard runs inside, broken tackles, enough burst to get outside, especially with Bates pulling and McKenzie in motion to the run side. He looked good. Nice catch % by the end of the season too.

I don't think he is a pure #1 RB, but a lot of teams have moved on from that concept.

I see a Singeltary/ Cook RB mix a bit like Jeremy Hill and Gio Bernard in Cincy before they got Mixon.

Hill was a better/ physical pure runner than Singletary, but Cook should be Gio Bernard at his very floor. Moss is neither of those guys.

I don't see Moss as any faster than Singletary, he isn't a power runner in the NFL and Singletary has really improved as a receiver. Moss is probably the best pass blocking back on the team, but if the Bills are putting Moss in on 3r down, then why draft Cook?

My guess is Moss is battling Johnson for 3rd RB and whoever that is, is not active on a lot of game day rosters.

As for Cook. I see Gio Bernard floor and Austin Ekeler ceiling. Not sure Cook can put up the 1k/1k rushing receiving season McCffrey did, but that type of use really has burned up McCaffrey. Cook's size probably prohibits that type of usage too. In limited rush attempts Cook did average over 6 Yards per Carry!

I would try Cook on KR in the preseason. He did some at Georgia early on. It's a chance to get him in the open field with the ball. If he can hold down KR he will be active as KR/ 3rd down back. I'm good with that. If he can be a KR weapon, then I could see an Eric Metcalf type of career for Cook.

I like Singletary.

A big key to me is the return to zone blocking under Kromer. Moss thrives in such a scheme, whereas Singletary struggles. Motor has tended to thrive behind power man and pin and pull concepts. 

All I’m saying is that Moss is gonna come back healthy, motivated, and ready to roll behind a run scheme better suited to his talents.

I think he’ll be much better than people think this year, will allow the Bills to let Motor walk in 2023, and will then become the thunder to Cook’s lightning for a season. Bills won’t have to address running back in a major way until 2024, when Moss leaves. I don’t think the Bills will be in the business of giving big second contracts to running backs.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

3rd year Motor was better runner than 1st and 2nd year Motor.  Not saying Moss will definitely take a similar step to Motor, but I do think he’ll be better than what most think and could be a viable committee RB. 

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

I like Singletary.

A big key to me is the return to zone blocking under Kromer. Moss thrives in such a scheme, whereas Singletary struggles. Motor has tended to thrive behind power man and pin and pull concepts. 

All I’m saying is that Moss is gonna come back healthy, motivated, and ready to roll behind a run scheme better suited to his talents.

I think he’ll be much better than people think this year, will allow the Bills to let Motor walk in 2023, and will then become the thunder to Cook’s lightning for a season. Bills won’t have to address running back in a major way until 2024, when Moss leaves. I don’t think the Bills will be in the business of giving big second contracts to running backs.

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

3rd year Motor was better runner than 1st and 2nd year Motor.  Not saying Moss will definitely take a similar step to Motor, but I do think he’ll be better than what most think and could be a viable committee RB. 

100%, good points all around. I have mentioned the constant changing of blocking schemes as being a reason for weird OL decisions/ personnel moves and the ebbs and tides of our 2 potential lead backs in the past. A lot of fans don't seem to think about or want to discuss this type of stuff and the impact it has. With Kromer and a new OC I hope the Bills settle in and define a blocking scheme and then make personnel decisions based on it. It feels like available OL personnel haven't clearly fit one way or another. It would be good for OL stability/ make the C job easier/ JA pre-snap reads easier and define OL and RB fits and roles by going in one direction or the other.

Also agree Moss has been more productive with zone blocking, whereas Singletary runs better behind other concepts, but after last year I swung a bit from being 'Pro-Moss' to 'Pro-Singletary'. At neither time did I think either guy 'stunk', just not RB #1 type guys. I was happy Motor got to really 'get into gear' and had success after a stellar off-season last year. He showed up when the team needed him to. I think Motor/ Gabe Davis and Oliver had the most improved seasons.

Moss probably has a role here and has one more year on a rookie contract than Motor, but I really think Motor is the better RB as of now. We will see if Buffalo actually commits to a zone scheme and how that affects both guys. I learned not to count Motor out last year, maybe I should do the same for Moss this year?

Edited by RocCityRoller

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I would go with really good then. Before he got injured in that Colts game he was starting to get more touches than Devin. He runs hard and runs downhill and he is bigger, faster, stronger. To me he is the perfect complimentary back to Cook and is here for 2 more years. I do like Devin, I am simply saying don’t be surprised if he wrestles that spot back. He’s fresh and probably fully recovered from the ankle. 

I would be very surprised. I think Singletary is the superior back in almost every single way, except maybe pass protection.

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Puppet tool or not, he’s better and far more listenable than the vast majority of sports talking heads. He gets a 👍 from me , 

I respect that. But for me he is not listenable anymore. I put him in the same category with Mike Florio. Many other great ones out there to listen to their own opinions and not reading off a script handed to them. IMHO. 

Edited by wppete

Bottom line is the kid is electric in the open field. He's not going to be the workhorse back. But on these sweeps and screens, he will be a huge step up from Moss/Singletary. If I were Dorsey I'd be designing a lot of plays out of a two back set. A nice extra wrinkle for the offense to have Singletary and Cook on the field where you can run or pass with either Cook out of the backfield, motion him out, hand off to Singletary, etc. I think what is lost on our fan base is how predictable Dabol's playcalling was at times. A lot of that had to do with we have some one trick ponies on offense. That's the biggest reason Beane has tried to get some players that are more versatile.

• Dislike 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:00 AM, MrEpsYtown said:

I would’t count out Zack Moss. I know he did nothing this year, but he took Devin’s job the year before and was the main guy before he got hurt. I mean he was really, really good. And he has two years left on his deal. 

Also Moss is very slow 

3 hours ago, wppete said:

I respect that. But for me he is not listenable anymore. I put him in the same category with Mike Florio. Many other great ones out there to listen to their own opinions and not reading off a script handed to them. IMHO. 

For me, I don’t listen to any of them a lot, I just pop in and out to get some flavor of how a player or circumstance is being portrayed, I think that is key to not being inundated with any shows nonsense, imo very few to none don’t go off the paper/ talking points that are handed to them, 👍

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

Also Moss is very slow 

He ran a 4.65 at the combine. Then ran an electronically tested 4.52 at his private workout day during covid.

Devin Singletary ran 4.66. Duke Johnson ran a 4.59. Conclusion, the room is slow aside from Cook. 

Taiwan Jones ran 4.33. 

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He ran a 4.65 at the combine. Then ran an electronically tested 4.52 at his private workout day during covid.

Devin Singletary ran 4.66. Duke Johnson ran a 4.59. Conclusion, the room is slow aside from Cook. 

Taiwan Jones ran 4.33. 

On game day Moss runs very slow and holes close much before he can get there. 

Gabe Davis ran slow at the combine...but even Beane and Joe commented that his finishing speed is excellent.   Davis has continued to demonstrate that in the NFL.

I never heard of him until the draft & i know that Beane knows football players i feel he didn't do real well choosing Moss butt hat just me but i hope that he was right about this guy and very one is thinking the same thing about him so i can't wait to see just what he brings to the field .

Between him & Motor i think that could be a good backfield although i do hope they keep the FB too as a compliment/blocking back .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.