Angry texts sent to Beane after Shakir pick

BillsFan619

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I thought this was gonna be a segment of Beane reading mean tweets....

Me too. I thought he'd gotten angry messages from Bills fans. The texts from other GMs were mentioned in this thread:

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I don’t get why people were so angry.  He was drafted in Round 5…there were multiple attempts to draft him

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t get why people were so angry.  He was drafted in Round 5…there were multiple attempts to draft him

Analytics hoes trying to be super duper smart by getting maximum value in their picks by not "reaching".  The opposite extreme to Belichick trying to outsmart the league by taking a 3rd round guard in the 1st.

So happy we have a GM who lives in the happy middle of "trade down where we'll be happy with any of this block of players, trade up if we'll kick ourselves if we miss out on this particular player".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I heard that shakir was a steal for a fifth round pick. Hopefully he plays like it!

Edited by BillsFan619

48 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

So happy we have a GM who lives in the happy middle of "trade down where we'll be happy with any of this block of players, trade up if we'll kick ourselves if we miss out on this particular player".

Exactly. Value is, to a certain extent, subjective; a commodity is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It's okay to overspend a little to get what you really want, as long as you balance that by being somewhat frugal on things where, for your purposes, the more costly version isn't significantly better than the less expensive one.

e.g., I'll spend extra money on quality craft beers, but I'm cool with middle-of-the-road wines and liquors. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Analytics hoes trying to be super duper smart by getting maximum value in their picks by not "reaching".  The opposite extreme to Belichick trying to outsmart the league by taking a 3rd round guard in the 1st.

bellichek is one of the premiere proponents of the plateau method. Essentially trade back as long as you can while there are multiple guys in the same tier then go get the last one. We’ve talked about it for years with the patriots (going on decades almost). The blessing of late being that they aren’t rating guys particularly well.

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Weird for the writer to not give any examples of what was said, just "people were upset".

“oh man - we wanted him too!”

I mean, I don’t think it was anything shocking 

• Like (+1) 1

Wide receiver drafted in the 5th round

6'0" 190 lbs

"Doesn't possess the strength or long speed to make a living as an outside receiver, but he can be an extremely effective weapon from the slot as a pro, turning short third-down throws into first downs. He can make things happen when he has the ball in his hands and could become a consistent, productive weapon for the right offensive coordinator."

This is Stefon Diggs' draft profile. It's eerily similar to Khalil Shakir's. 

Very similar size, speed, production, and character.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Probably Whaley...since Beane is succeeding where he was a failure....

Whaley is still wondering how in the world Diggs is still a Bill and wasn’t cut because there was no way Buffalo could afford to keep him.

• Haha (+1) 4

Beane's whole draft was a master class. It gets better every day.

Which is kind of amazing, because this is a roster that has few real needs and not many slots for new players.  But I think we'll see at least 5 guys not only make the team but contribute in a big way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

Beane's whole draft was a master class. It gets better every day.

Which is kind of amazing, because this is a roster that has few real needs and not many slots for new players.  But I think we'll see at least 5 guys not only make the team but contribute in a big way.

Hey Success! Thanks for sharing.

Good to hear from you. It’s been awhile. Always enjoy your thoughts and posts.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.