May Movies: Doctor Strange, & Top Gun, kickoff big Summer Season

Mark Vader

With all the samplings of bigger titles being released the last couple of months, movie studios are now kicking it into high gear as the month of May starts the Summer Season of movies. 

Ever since the COVID outbreak, movie releases in theaters were shut down and held back or limited to television streaming services.

While last year showed a change with theatrical releases and they were able to get big titles out there, it still was not quite the same experience as it used to be.

This year is showing to be much different. Many lock downs and restrictions have been lifted and people are showing that they want to go back to the theaters again, and they are willing to pay. Especially when it comes to big titles where only the silver screen can do it justice.

May has been the start of the Summer Season for many years now, but despite the fact that this month results in a lot of big profits for its films, there are only just a few nationwide releases.

It does make sense, since nearly every studio is distancing themselves from the latest big attraction from the Disney/Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Benedict Cumberbatch stars in "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness". Dr. Stephen Strange casts a forbidden spell that opens the doorway to the multiverse, including alternate versions of himself, whose threat to humanity is too great for the combined forces of Strange, Wong, and Wanda Maximoff. Also starring Elizabeth Olsen, Benedict Wong, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Xochitl Gomez, Michael Stuhlbarg & Rachel McAdams. Directed by Sam Raimi.

Paramount brings us a sequel to a film that was 36 years in the making. Tom Cruise stars in "Top Gun: Maverick". After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy's top aviators, Pete Mitchell is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. Also starring Jennifer Connelly, Miles Teller, Lewis Pullman, Jon Hamm, Ed Harris & Val Kilmer.

In "Firestarter", A young girl tries to understand how she mysteriously gained the power to set things on fire with her mind. Starring Zac Efron, Ryan Kiera Armstrong & Gloria Reuben.

In "Downton Abbey: A New Era", Follow-up to the 2019 feature film in which the Crawley family and Downton staff received a royal visit from the King and Queen of Great Britain. Starring Michelle Dockery, Tuppence Middleton, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern, Laura Haddock, Hugh Dancy & Dominic West.

Finally, in "The Bob's Burgers Movie", The Belchers try to save the restaurant from closing as a sinkhole forms in front of it, while the kids try to solve a mystery that could save their family's restaurant. Starring H. John Benjamin, Kristen Schaal, Dan Mintz & Stephanie Beatriz.

Calendar with Trailers

5/6

"Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness":    https://www.marvel.com/movies/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness

5/13

"Firestarter":    https://www.firestartermovie.com/

5/20

"Downton Abbey: A New Era":    https://www.focusfeatures.com/downton-abbey-a-new-era/watch/

5/27

"Top Gun: Maverick":    https://www.topgunmovie.com/home/

"The Bob's Burgers Movie":   https://www.20thcenturystudios.com/movies/the-bobs-burgers-movie

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Major press this week here in San Diego regarding the Tom Cruise  Top Gun new movie. Tom Cruise flew in a helicopter to attend the premiere. 

Random but true fact. My retired Pastors' son Rod Borgie was used as a consultant for this movie. His name will roll with the credits . Pretty cool. He is an ex military physician and Pilot

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I admit that I am totally curious about TG 2.  Having written that, why do I have this sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be so great?  It would seem like it should be great, given the actors actually being in the cockpits of fighter jets and all, but I have this Wonder Woman II vibe about it for some reason.

But who am I kidding?  Either I'll watch it in a theater, or I'll wait until it hits streaming 6 months from now.

Saw the new Dr. Strange yesterday, very trippy. Directed by the great Sam Raimi, I’ve seen it described as Marvel meets Evil Dead, and I would have to agree somewhat. I’m getting sick of the Multiverse though, & hope they move onto something else.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

I admit that I am totally curious about TG 2.  Having written that, why do I have this sneaking suspicion that it's not going to be so great?  It would seem like it should be great, given the actors actually being in the cockpits of fighter jets and all, but I have this Wonder Woman II vibe about it for some reason.

But who am I kidding?  Either I'll watch it in a theater, or I'll wait until it hits streaming 6 months from now.

Well, what made the original so great? Sometimes a movie is great simply because it was released at the right moment in history. I don't think fans of the first should expect the same magic from this movie, but the trailer looks awesome.

4 hours ago, Rico said:

Saw the new Dr. Strange yesterday, very trippy. Directed by the great Sam Raimi, I’ve seen it described as Marvel meets Evil Dead, and I would have to agree somewhat. I’m getting sick of the Multiverse though, & hope they move onto something else.

Same regarding the multiverse. They have to get creative with the stories around it and I thought the last Spiderman movie wasn't very imaginative, although it was fun to watch.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Well, what made the original so great? Sometimes a movie is great simply because it was released at the right moment in history. I don't think fans of the first should expect the same magic from this movie, but the trailer looks awesome.

Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens.  j/k.  It was fun and exciting, and told a story from beginning to end.

Yes, the trailers are awesome.  Wonder Woman II and Spider-Man 3 (Raimi), and basically all of the Disney Star Wars movies -- are beautiful to look at, but aren't really good at capturing a cogent story on film.  And I say this all as a music guy, one who's usually not that picky about movies.  But when I do watch a movie, having that steak along with the sizzle is much appreciated.  Here's to hoping...

15 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Harold Faltermeyer and Steve Stevens.  j/k.  It was fun and exciting, and told a story from beginning to end.

Yes, the trailers are awesome.  Wonder Woman II and Spider-Man 3 (Raimi), and basically all of the Disney Star Wars movies -- are beautiful to look at, but aren't really good at capturing a cogent story on film.  And I say this all as a music guy, one who's usually not that picky about movies.  But when I do watch a movie, having that steak along with the sizzle is much appreciated.  Here's to hoping...

I think all those movies you mentioned have cogent stories, but they're just unimaginative, including Top Gun. Not to say they're boring, just nothing new. Top Gun was bolstered by the awesome jet fighter action and star power, and that it was released in 1986, when Reagan was president, right after the Challenger and Chernobyl disasters, and when the Soviet Communist party was still going strong....and people needed something to get them pumped up. 

This movie looks like it will have the exact same elements as the original, but the timing is different.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:54 AM, Rico said:

On 5/7/2022 at 12:55 PM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Multiverse of Madness was a fun time

Saw this movie last night and it was a lot of fun. 

I really like Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange, he's just great in the part.

It definitely had Sam Raimi elements in it.

Also, that last bumper at the very end of the credits was hilarious.

@Rico, I agree with you on the Multiverse. Let's tone that down or move on from it completely and just keep things simple.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Saw this movie last night and it was a lot of fun. 

I really like Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange, he's just great in the part.

It definitely had Sam Raimi elements in it.

Also, that last bumper at the very end of the credits was hilarious.

@Rico, I agree with you on the Multiverse. Let's tone that down or move on from it completely and just keep things simple.

Things tend to go downhill whenever time travel is involved. I did like The Time Tunnel though way back when.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

Things tend to go downhill whenever time travel is involved. I did like The Time Tunnel though way back when.

Yeah, they do go downhill. Although Back to the Future knew how to make it fun.

Hopefully, Marvel will do less and less of it.

I also want to say that Elizabeth Olsen was very good in this movie too. She's been great as Wanda/Scarlet Witch.

I know people get on her case with the disappearing and reappearing accent, which they made a nice joke out of in WandaVision, but I've liked her in this series.

21 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I also want to say that Elizabeth Olsen was very good in this movie too. She's been great as Wanda/Scarlet Witch.

I know people get on her case with the disappearing and reappearing accent, which they made a nice joke out of in WandaVision, but I've liked her in this series.

Yeah, Back To The Future was great. I think the key is to make it straight-forward and not too convoluted. If I have to read a plot summary after I see the movie to figure out everything that happened, it’s not quite right. 

Agreed, I thought Wanda was great, accent didn’t bother me at all.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rico said:

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

They're not doing time travel. They're doing alternate realities. Unless I'm missing something.

I think that concept is a lot simpler than time travel.

They did time travel with Infinity War/End Game and I agree that they should be done with that. It gets messy.

• Like (+1) 1

Short story about the original TopGun.

Jerry Bruckheimer, the producer, wanted a young Tom Cruise to do the movie, but Cruz wasn't sure.

My best buddy  and squadron mate in the Pacific Fleet Adversary Squadron was Curt Watson, who was now in the Blue Angels as Blue Angel 3, the left wingman in the diamond, and he was the one that took Cruz on a familiarization flight in Blue Angel 7, which is a two seater used for media rides etc.

Here is a two and a half minute video of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO3G1aI-*****

Kind of funny, but when I was going through TopGun the movie folks were just talking about doing the movie and what I remember most was the F-14 squadrons at Miramar trying desperately to get to their particular the ready room as part of the movie because the claim was that the studio was going to spend a ton of money to upgrade it.

Just watched Dr Strange...

They went with America Chavez?! One of the most hated characters in Marvel Comics?

I know they held back in the movie, but she is insufferable in her own book.

Missed an opportunity to use Illyana Rasputin here. Much more beloved character with similar dimension hopping powers.

Top Gun + Christopher McQuarrie. Has he ever written a bad screenplay?  Filled with great actors. Tom Cruise doesn't mail it in.  

Top Gun - the annoying political correctness.  Can't wear the Taiwan flag on the jacket, cast "looks" correct.  May make for a bland film so no one is offended. Likely no Jennifer Connelly in a bikini playing volleyball.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.