QB Coach Joe Brady; what’s his role with Josh?

hemma

This is a question, not an answer.  I understand he’s very young & has had mixed success in college/pros.

I am wondering what you more learned football scholars envision as to his importance & his role, particularly with Josh.  I am pretty fuzzy on the issue.

Wondering if he’s the equivalent of teats on a boar hawg.

Thanks

Edited by hemma
Change title

I wasn't much of a fan of his hire.  I think he got LUCKY landing at LSU and Burrow in a magic season and he was anointed an offensive guru, and I think prematurely.  then of course the obligatory trip to Carolina (before getting fired) before heading to the Bills.   And we also have the William & Mary connection with McDermott.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wasn't much of a fan of his hire.  I think he got LUCKY landing at LSU and Burrow in a magic season and he was anointed an offensive guru, and I think prematurely.  then of course the obligatory trip to Carolina (before getting fired) before heading to the Bills.   And we also have the William & Mary connection with McDermott.

Yeah, I kind of felt like this was a ‘this could be cool, let’s see what happens’ hire.  

There’s probably an interview by somebody important that gives some detail but I’ve found nada.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You could also argue that Daboll got lucky to have Josh as prior to coming here he was a less than spectacular OC in the NFL. Personally I don't mind Judge as hate when OC and QB coaches are one in the same. As think it's good that both positions are separate as gives a QB another person in the room. I'm really interested though more in the role that Mike Shula plays. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

You could also argue that Daboll got lucky to have Josh as prior to coming here he was a less than spectacular OC in the NFL. Personally I don't mind Judge as hate when OC and QB coaches are one in the same. As think it's good that both positions are separate as gives a QB another person in the room. I'm really interested though more in the role that Mike Shula plays. 

I was thinking this exactly as I was typing.

Just now, BuffaloCajun said:

Do we not remember he also served on Sean Payton's staff as Offensive Assistant in New Orleans prior to his stint at LSU. 

I will take a guess there's more that didn't remember or didn't know than there is that did remember/knew lol

18 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

One possibility is that Shula will play a similar role to Chris Palmer (6 yrs ago).  

Be there for ‘anything’ + get a jump on the game plan prep ahead of Dorsey/Frazier.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know much about Brady other than his year at LSU and his role with the Panthers, and just saw that he also spent some time with the Saints.  I do, however, trust the current Bills coaching staff and management team and believe they did their due diligence on Brady before hiring him.  If he was one-hit wonder who got lucky with one good season at LSU, I suspect they would have teased that out in the interview process and passed on the hire.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, BarleyNY said:

44 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

This. 

Dabs had limited to no success other then coaching for the Pats (Brady) and Alabama (33rd NFL Team).  Loved Dabs.. but to underestimate what impact JA17 had on Dab's success is like denying Belichik's success because of Tom Brady.   Truth of the matter, both make each other greater.. and that JA17 campaigned for Dorsey, and, now it's 'spiced' up with Joe Brady.. who has had exposure to Joe Brr...  I tend to believe that this offense is going to a next level of efficiency.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, hemma said:

I thought it was a declarative sentence, but in matters of grammar, I’ll always defer.

Call me crazy, but how about titling the thread "QB Coach Joe Brady; what's his role with Josh?"

• Like (+1) 1

1. met tons of willie and mary grads, with the son being one, beyond uber smarts, always impressed with the presence and awareness they have working for them.

2. I would assume the approach is to look at film with Dorsey (who hired him) and see what worked and what did not, then get to know Josh slowly but surely...Josh is now a young vet, gifted with uber athleticism, as well as presence and awareness.  Josh signed-off on this hire as well, I bet he spoke to his buddy Sam Darnold to get the inside scoop.  So Josh approved it, Dorsey was good with it and McClappy likely agreed only after their input rather than his alumn connection.

There also are assistants, assist qb coach as well, so that is another personality in the room, on the practice field, working with the qbs in lesser role etc

Brady has had his ups (LSU) and downs (Carolina), so did Daboll, who at the pro level had more downs outside of working for the Pats during the Brady heydays. 

Daboll benefitted from Brady and Allen, just as Brady benefitted from Burrow.   

I think its a good hire, and if this goes well, I wouldnt be surprised if Dorsey gets a HC position in the next year or two, and Brady would likely become a hot OC candidate, hopefully ours.

The benefit the qb coach also seems to be coaching depth, as its a passing league and with qb being the most important position, having-grooming an in-house replacement is key to business-football success and sustainability.

Further, lacking minorities in this kind of a position doesnt help develop the chops to be considered for HC positions...

Edited by First Round Bust
JoeMama
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Call me crazy, but how about titling the thread "QB Coach Joe Brady; what's his role with Josh?"

Been here for a few years, but this is my 1st thread.  

I don’t see a way in the gui to git er done.

I like the hiring now, at this point when Josh is already well into his development, than if he were brought in earlier. Likely less about his technique and more about expanding his knowledge and reading defenses, etc.

1 minute ago, hemma said:

Been here for a few years, but this is my 1st thread.  

I don’t see a way in the gui to git er done.

Go up to your original post, the ... in the upper right, and select Edit.

• Haha (+1) 1

• hemma changed the title to QB Coach Joe Brady; what’s his role with Josh?
1 hour ago, hemma said:

This is a question, not an answer.  I understand he’s very young & has had mixed success in college/pros.

I am wondering what you more learned football scholars envision as to his importance & his role, particularly with Josh.  I am pretty fuzzy on the issue.

Wondering if he’s the equivalent of teats on a boar hawg.

Thanks

By all accounts, Brady is an exceptionally bright guy. He had his first real assistant coaching experience as an offensive assistant under Sean Payton and working with Drew Brees for two years before going to LSU as the passing game coordinator. He did win the Frank Broyles Award as the nation’s top college assistant, albeit with an absolutely stacked offense. He didn't do that well in Carolina, but he was young (the NFL’s youngest offensive coordinator when he went to Carolina) and didn't have great offensive talent to work with. While he didn't do great his first year,  apparently, he was still thought of as someone with a bright offensive mind and a future in the league - he interviewed with five teams for head coaching positions after his first year in Carolina.

I believe they think Dorsey will do well with his familiarity with the offense and the players, and they may very well be in a similar position in a couple of years where Dorsey may be looked at for a head coaching position. But, they did lose some real experience around Josh. I think they look at Brady as someone who brings some offensive experience to the room, particularly given the vacancy left by the departures of Daboll, Webb, and Trubisky. - as well as someone that they can grow in the same system, with the potential to move into Dorsey's spot if things go very well and Dorsey moves on.

• Like (+1) 3

The price of success is your team gets raided and you have to constantly replenish your depth, both players and coaches.

Brady had interviews with a few teams for HC so there is definitely some There there. 
    Not sure what his actual roll will be but he seems like a decent hire.

We will see, but from everything said - his role is similar to Dorsey the last 2 years.  Be a sounding board for Josh on the sidelines and another set of communication between the QB and the OC to make sure both are seeing and hearing the same thing.

Be the on the sideline coach to go through things with Josh and make sure he is getting what he needs.  

He has experience as an assistant, an OC in college, and an OC in the Pro’s (with varying success) - so I am sure if he sees something that might work from a different viewpoint - share that info.

The final thing I would expect is that he will be a helper to make sure Dorsey in his first role as OC does not overly complicate things.  I think that is what Shula is there for also.  A couple of guys that can help ensure that the offense rolls and the players and coaches are on the same page.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloCajun said:

Do we not remember he also served on Sean Payton's staff as Offensive Assistant in New Orleans prior to his stint at LSU. 

Curious.Do you mean this to be a positive statement as in he may have learned from one of the better coaches in the NFL? Or a negative as in Marrone also served on Payton's staff and has been hired multiple places never really having great success at any of them.

Any chance he can help remind Bass to squib it or help align the defense in crunch time?? That likely would help more than anything he will do with Josh.

Sorry could not resisit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.