If _______ has a big year or breaks out, this team is SB bound

Big Blitz

Oliver and Phillips, or whoever is playing DT.  Actually, any of the front 7 (including Johnson).

The Bills need to be able to stop the run. The Patriots and Jets are gearing up to have stout run games, probably realizing that is the Bills biggest weakness. The Colts and Titans made the Bills look like a DIV III team with their runs. One loss against an inferior opponent can mean the difference between being at home or away, or even making the playoffs. 

But if I have to narrow it down, it's mostly the guys in the middle of the D-line.

10 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Groot

Totally agree, if Groot can break out this year combined with Miller and Oliver it will be amazing.  Opposing QB's will be running for their lives all day long.  

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds. He’s around the ball a lot, he just rarely makes the game changing play. If he starts playing up to the potential we thought we were trading up to get, I think he’d have the biggest impact on defense not named Von Miller.

While I do agree he can be impactful more this year than even before potentially, I think this gets said too much above and that it’s not entirely accurate.  Not only is Edmunds 5th in the NFL in tackles since entering the league, but Edmunds is also 5th in the league at tackles for loss since entering the league.  I would consider TFL a pretty impactful play.  

IMHO because Edmunds doesn’t get “sacks” he gets this label that he doesn’t make important plays enough.  But he also plays off the ball a lot almost like a 3rd safety.  

So I still say I think what people are most disappointed in with Edmunds really is more about how he is used than his production.  Because he has the stats showing he makes a lot of plays.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

tremaine edmunds

i'm expecting him to be bills MOST  IMPROVED player

#1 - these new DL will keep him clean

#2- these new DL will allow frazier to change edmunds TWO gap responsibility scheme down to 1 gap......eliminating him picking the wrong hole or the RB cutting back into the one he's not

#3- it's a contract year for him

(he's still young and the bills are playing him out of position.....hes not a thumping MLB)

That's for damn sure. ESPN stats: 70 solo tackles ( tied for 28th)  4 passes defended  1 int.( 108th). That's it.

That includes playoffs. CBSSports.com has complete game by game breakdown. IMO there's no way he's worth 12.7 this year and will likely be gone next year. It's been 4 yrs.

I'm willing to bet if we put Bernard out there, he'd put up better production. That 12.7 could get us (just as an example), a Quinton Spain, A.J. Klein and a vet CB.

Conversely K.C. 2nd rd. pick (rookie) Nick Bolton basically had identical stats. and stood out to me in the playoff game.

Edited by nosejob
spelling
  • Eyeroll 1

White, Elam, Poyer, Hyde, Ed, Greg, Von, Diggs, Davis, Knox, Shnowman, Brown, Devon, and last but certainly not least, Josh Allen, those are our prime movers for this up coming season. 

There is zero doubt we will need stellar play from the O & D lines, and hope key draft selections shine in their first season. 

I got a good feeling about this upcoming season😁👍

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Spencer Brown.  If he can anchor the right side of the line and be a force in pass protection, we’ll be unstoppable.  

I think he's gonna be very good as long as he stays healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds. He’s around the ball a lot, he just rarely makes the game changing play. If he starts playing up to the potential we thought we were trading up to get, I think he’d have the biggest impact on defense not named Von Miller.

Edmunds was my pick too for the same reasons. Add a few big game-changing plays from him and its a +1 +2 in the win column which would get us home field advantage in the playoffs. Next up n defense for me is G-Root, then Elam if he can pick up the game speed and mental part of the defense quick enough. 

I also agree on the Spencer Brown comments. What Edmunds can do with improved play on the defense is akin to what a leap of play from Brown can do on the offense.  If we can run, call RPO's and have time in the pocket from our O-line, then they will be a step above dangerous.

Next up on offense is Cook. I know he's a rookie, but if he can do all those things that Devin can't, it will change the way defenses play against us, limit Josh's running and open up the field for the other guys to get favorable matchups.  I feel like Davis has already shown us what he can do, his leap of play may not be as large, it's just that he will get more opportunities to showcase that talent. 

My last player would be either a Bates/Boettger/Ford combo. If Bates continues to improve or one of the other 2 really improve it will solidify the weak link on the offensive line.  Bates especially, if he continue his ascent, he may be able to take over Morse's spot, providing that Ford, Boettger or another G can play consistently.  Morse's game is mostly mental now. His strength is not the same as it was in his prime and there were some big, bad boys in the middle of the DL that got push on him. consistently last year. 

All around, I'm the most excited I've been going into a season since the '90's. This roster is stacked. Our FO is solid and our coaching has been solid. The organization as a whole has been miraculous in turning around this franchise. I couldn't be happier and prouder of our Bills.

• Agree 1

McDermott

We have the best QB and roster in the league. Don't need anyone to break out. Coaches need to just not blow it.

Coaching has been terrible the past three playoffs (Hou, Kc, Kc). Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

McDermott is the only correct answer....

We have the best QB and roster in the league. Don't need anyone to break out. Coaches need to just not blow it.

Coaching has been terrible the past three playoffs (Hou, Kc, Kc). Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes.

Sounds like the old-school thing to say, but it's wrong.

How would McDermott even be measured as having a big year or breakout season after the Bills went 13-3 a few seasons ago?

This team has been on the cusp but never completely, complete. We've needed pop in the backfield, I'm not sure James Cook is that dude, but if he is and has a crazy season where he's contributing majorly on the ground, then I think he'll be the difference maker.

We of course couldn't take a backward step on defense for everything to work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.