Giants prepared to release CB Bradberry (now released)

billsbackto81

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Is the goal to be all in for a SB this year?  If the answer is yes you absolutely sign him. (And yes the space can be made easily). 

also you should not be going into a SB run season with your CBS a rookie and a unknown health wise on your CB1 and CB2. 

something like a 3 or 4 year deal that is really a 1 or 2 year deal. Keeps this years cap low. Adds voided years. 

No, the goal is NOT to be all in for a SB this year. How many times does Beane need to say this?

He said it for probably the two-dozenth time two weeks ago in the post-draft PC. He doesn't want to screw next season for the sake of this one. He wants to be consistently competitive for the next ten to twelve years.

And you're right that the space can be made easily, just as it's true that the gambling addict who's far far underwater can find a way to get a new credit card and find a few thousand more to throw away. Doesn't mean - in either case - that it SHOULD be done. But yes, it can be done.

They're fine at CB. Again, they could get better, of course. But in the cap condition they're in now, this simply isn't a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Easing Tre back from injury and not handing a starting job to Elam is very McBeane-like.   

Our 1st round picks have always started under McDermott. We have $7 million in cap space and I believe that is before counting all of our draft signings. To sign Bradberry we'd very likely have to create more cap space. No chance Beane is doing that just to push Elam in training camp, or rent a CB for a few games while Tre recovers.

Dane Jackson will be Elam's "competition" and White's fill-in. When White is fully recovered Elam will inevitably have won the competition and that will be our starting CB tandem for the rest of the year with Jackson being the break in case of emergency CB.

The discussion about Bradberry made sense before the draft. Now it is a dead talking point.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our 1st round picks have always started under McDermott. We have $7 million in cap space and I believe that is before counting all of our draft signings. To sign Bradberry we'd very likely have to create more cap space. No chance Beane is doing that just to push Elam in training camp, or rent a CB for a few games while Tre recovers.

Dane Jackson will be Elam's "competition" and White's fill-in. When White is fully recovered Elam will inevitably have won the competition and that will be our starting CB tandem for the rest of the year with Jackson being the break in case of emergency CB.

The discussion about Bradberry made sense before the draft. Now it is a dead talking point.

I think its possible if the draft shook out a different way, the Bills may have actually traded for him.  Hopefully Elam is really good out of the box and Dane keeps up his level of play.

If there's a position Beane and McD deserve an extreme benefit of the doubt, it's DB.  Sort of Belichickian in that regard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I watched him a bunch as my wife is a cowboys fan and he’s basically a turnstile now anything more then a 1 year prove it deal isn’t worth Beanes time and money. 

I think he's proven he can play

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It’s simple.  We don’t have the $.  He’s going to cost $11-14 mil.  Besides we already have Elam, Dane, and Tre will be back.  We also have Taron Hyde and Poyer.

This is just another example of we see a player of value hit the market, and we want to bring him in.  It’s like clockwork.  

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, the goal is NOT to be all in for a SB this year. How many times does Beane need to say this?

He said it for probably the two-dozenth time two weeks ago in the post-draft PC. He doesn't want to screw next season for the sake of this one. He wants to be consistently competitive for the next ten to twelve years.

And you're right that the space can be made easily, just as it's true that the gambling addict who's far far underwater can find a way to get a new credit card and find a few thousand more to throw away. Doesn't mean - in either case - that it SHOULD be done. But yes, it can be done.

They're fine at CB. Again, they could get better, of course. But in the cap condition they're in now, this simply isn't a good idea.

you might be a bit dramatic. 

also you are likely fooling yourself if you don’t think some extra chips are on the table this year. And that’s a good thing to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s simple.  We don’t have the $.  He’s going to cost $11-14 mil.  Besides we already have Elam, Dane, and Tre will be back.  We also have Taron Hyde and Poyer.

This is just another example of we see a player of value hit the market, and we want to bring him in.  It’s like clockwork.  

No he's not.  Players signing now will be playing at discounts.  I think he gets a deal in the roughly 5.5 million range with incentives in there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

also you are likely fooling yourself if you don’t think some extra chips are on the table this year. And that’s a good thing to do. 

I think the Miller addition indicates they are clearly pushing for a super bowl run. If not, they would have just been content with the young guys to develop. The term "all in" is pretty relative. 

35 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

No he's not.  Players signing now will be playing at discounts.  I think he gets a deal in the roughly 5.5 million range with incentives in there.

That seems awful cheap. If that's the case, I think he would be a great signing for the Bills. Don't get me wrong, I like the Elam signing and I was banging the table for a 1st round CB selection. However, do we really know how effective he's going to be? Will he be more of an arrest or a liability in his first year? How will Tre look when he comes back? Will Dane play well with more playing time? Injuries always a concern as well. What I'm trying to say is Bradberry will solidify the Bills secondary. I'd be shocked if he signs for such a cheap price. I think he gets at least 10 mil a year which seems too much for the Bills to pay. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I think the Miller addition indicates they are clearly pushing for a super bowl run.  Add in aging Saffold for further evidence too. 

Edited by newcam2012

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Bradberry does not kill the “future” so is the goal a SB yes or no. If you answer yes go get Bradberry. Just remember you said CB is fine if  it isn’t the first month and a half. 

all because why? You didn’t want to fit him in a cap?  Pretty weak. Fact is Bradberry is you starter at this point week1. Between an unknown rookie at CB2 and a Unknown Health at CB1. 

therr are reasons Beane has been in contact with CBS all offseason. You can take his “words” I watch his actions. 

Being “competitive for the next 12 years”. Is meaningless without the Ring. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Agree 2

I do not think Bradberry is likely to the difference between winning a SB this year or losing any individual games. If Tre White gets healthy I am not sure Bradberry is even on field over Dane Jackson without even discussing Elam. He is a nice depth signing but I would probably prefer to keep money to see what shakes out at cuts.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Did he actually say that? 

I am sure most of us here would rather win the Superbowl at least one than be the bridesmaid every season. 

From now on, every season should be the one until we win the first SB

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Sounds like Raiders. Raiders have a sneaky very good roster if this happens. Probably top 3 roster.

The AFCW is going to be a fun division to watch. All 4 teams are pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No doubt there are other teams who will pay Bradberry more than the Bills will.  Bills aren’t giving a CB more than a 1 year deal for a couple million.  A guy like Haden makes the most sense.  

I heard on the radio that the Chiefs are interested and odds are good that's where he'll end up. Seems like they have an unlimited cap. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing McD kick the tires on Kevin King UFA Packers. He was the 33rd overall pick in 2017. 6'3 200. played both safety and cb in college with plenty of accolades. He turned 27 last week.

He has dealt with injuries and unstable, inadequate coaching. With our training facilities and McD's Gurutorship, maybe he could turn into something. One year vet min should easily get it done.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I heard on the radio that the Chiefs are interested and odds are good that's where he'll end up. Seems like they have an unlimited cap. Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing McD kick the tires on Kevin King UFA Packers. He was the 33rd overall pick in 2017. 6'3 200. played both safety and cb in college with plenty of accolades. He turned 27 last week.

He has dealt with injuries and unstable, inadequate coaching. With our training facilities and McD's Gurutorship, maybe he could turn into something. One year vet min should easily get it done.

Packers fans don't like King, they went as far to give him a grade D last season and it might be why he's still available in UFA this late into the process, for a more indepth review https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/grading-the-packers-on-salary-cap-curve-cornerbacks

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Packers fans don't like King, they went as far to give him a grade D last season and it might be why he's still available in UFA this late into the process, for a more indepth review https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/grading-the-packers-on-salary-cap-curve-cornerbacks

He could be a good reclamation project.  Definitely needs a change of scenery.  He was beyond awful against Brady in the NFC championship 2 years ago.  Lots of talent to work with though.  1 year $3m I’d be on board with.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.