Hypothetical Question about winning a Championship for the Buffalo Sports fans?

BillsPride12

If Buffalo got an expansion team in either the NBA or MLB and they ended up winning a title before the Bills or Sabres would how meaningful would it actually be to you? 

I was thinking about this scenario and for me personally I don't know how excited I could truly get over something like that.  I mean sure it would be cool and exciting but there's no way it could compare to the Bills winning the Super Bowl or the Sabres winning the Cup because of the history(tortured history at that) of both franchises and all of the childhood memories I have from both teams.  Either of those teams winning one would be a HUGE deal for me in my life.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool for Buffalo to win a title in one of the other major sports but I think for me it would be really lacking the intense emotional feelings.  

29 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well, also I’m primarily a football fan. A Sabres championship would be cool and all but not my primary sport.

I’m also predominantly a football fan. I even lost track of the Sabres when I left WNY for college in 1977. The Sabres would be cool, the Bills wining it all would be AWESOME!!!

I don’t see Buffalo getting a MLB or NBA team, so I can’t waste too much mental energy on this. BUT, I can tell you I live 8 minutes from the Braves stadium and we go a couple times a year, just for the crowds, the hot dogs and drinks. The crack of the bat is background noise. As my wise young child once said, “half the guys are standing around, and the other half are sitting!” Not my idea of entertainment. 

We are now in the NBA playoff season. I was super into the Braves and the family had season tickets. They moved, the game changed, and they lost me. I have watched less and less NBA ever since. I might watch a game or two if the Finals get interesting. We spent over $600 taking the kids to a game in Charlotte a few years ago, the last time I paid money to attend an NBA game. About 5 minutes in, our youngest turns and says “they’re not even trying!” Yep, NBA with the season far too long to try on a Tuesday night in Charlotte. I enjoy college hoops where they actually try. If the NBA went away I wouldn’t miss it. 

Give me football all day, every day over the other options. I’m all in on a Bills Super Bowl victory. If someone else won, I’d be happy for the local folks who actually cared. 

I'm with the OP on this.

Let's say we got an NBA team and in the 2nd or 3rd year they got on a tear and went all the way to a championship.

Sure, that would be tons of fun and I would probably be following them (in the playoffs) closely, must because they are from Buffalo.

But no, THAT championship would pale in comparison to the Bills or Sabres winning it all.

This is a problem we'll never have b/c Buffalo will never have a new major league sports team, least of all MLB.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm with the OP on this.

Let's say we got an NBA team and in the 2nd or 3rd year they got on a tear and went all the way to a championship.

Sure, that would be tons of fun and I would probably be following them (in the playoffs) closely, must because they are from Buffalo.

But no, THAT championship would pale in comparison to the Bills or Sabres winning it all.

This is a problem we'll never have b/c Buffalo will never have a new major league sports team, least of all MLB.

I agree it's not something we will ever have to worry about it but just for fun it's something I've thought about before.  There's just no way I would be as emotionally invested if we had an NBA or MLB expansion team that struck fire out of the gate(what happened with the Vegas Knights was a small part of the inspiration behind this topic) compared to a Bills or Sabres title run but I'm sure it would still be exciting and Buffalo would be all into it. 

A better question for this thread would be... What championship would be more meaningful to the fans in WNY a Bills Super Bowl or Sabres Stanley Cup? Obviously both would be celebrated.  As someone who isn't from WNY I can say the reputation of Buffalo sports from an outsider is this. People know Buffalo is a great hockey market and probably one of the strongest in the US but Buffalo is known as a football mad/crazed city. I would say most would say the Bills but again I am not from the area.

10 minutes ago, Greg S said:

A better question for this thread would be... What championship would be more meaningful to the fans in WNY a Bills Super Bowl or Sabres Stanley Cup? Obviously both would be celebrated.  As someone who isn't from WNY I can say the reputation of Buffalo sports from an outsider is this. People know Buffalo is a great hockey market and probably one of the strongest in the US but Buffalo is known as a football mad/crazed city. I would say most would say the Bills but again I am not from the area.

Living here my entire life I would agree 

Sabers mean a lot and its a great hockey area .. top 2-3 in the country

But it is a football city 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I'm a local WNYer and I love both the Bills and Sabres and a Stanley Cup would be amazing and celebrated to the Max in the 716 but it's not even a question a Bills Super Bowl would be the undisputed choice.   My original point/question was more lumping both franchises together because of the history and tradition they have v.s. a newcomer coming to town.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.