Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

True. But by the end of 2022 he'll have over $160M in career earnings, so perhaps he doesn't care if his career is prolonged. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's refreshing, personally. Folks are always talking about how press conferences are just soundbites anymore. This is how he actually feels. It wasn't disrespectful or combative.

Sure, as a non Titans fan lol would anyone have been cool with Hughes saying this about Rousseau last year? Exactly 

6 minutes ago, without a drought said:

Looks like much ado about nothing.

People overreacting and faking their outrage about something that they probably only read the headlines.

Nobody is outraged. I'd expect a qb to think that way, but volunteering dirty laundry to the media is stooopid

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

I remember another veteran QB who was vocal about not mentoring the rookie the team brought in.  The veteran was Brett Favre, the rookie was Aaron Rodgers.

The list of examples of guys refusing to mentor someone are all future/current HOFers so I’m not sure that really compares lol 

5 hours ago, klos63 said:

Sure Kurt, he's not trying to win your job from you. Easy to say when you don't have to back it up.

Shouldn't the coaches be the ones teaching Malik how to be an NFL QB? I get so tired of the 'mentor' schtick.  It's possible to be a good teammate and not need to be a mentor. Tannehill has enough on his plate as the starting QB.

I agree. 

During The Drought the Bills constantly talked like this. 

Always bugging guys like Steve Johnson to show someone like T.J. Graham how to be a WR. 

They did the same thing with TO and James Hardy. 

Chris Brown would always ask those softball questions to veterans about setting an "example" and showing the rookies what it takes. 

Ultimately, none of that mattered until we got a Quarterback with talent. 

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I agree. 

During The Drought the Bills constantly talked like this. 

Always bugging guys like Steve Johnson to show someone like T.J. Graham how to be a WR. 

They did the same thing with TO and James Hardy. 

Chris Brown would always ask those softball questions to veterans about setting an "example" and showing the rookies what it takes. 

Ultimately, none of that mattered until we got a Quarterback with talent. 

You dont think Diggs and Sanders mentored Davis and the other young guys?

You dont think Hughes and Addison mentored Rousseau and Basham?

You dont think D Williams and Dawkins mentored Spencer Brown?

You dont think Frank Gore mentored Singletary?

Almost all vets do it. Only some diva QBs dont.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You dont think Diggs and Sanders mentored Davis and the other young guys?

You dont think Hughes and Addison mentored Rousseau and Basham?

You dont think D Williams and Dawkins mentored Spencer Brown?

You dont think Frank Gore mentored Singletary?

Almost all vets do it. Only some diva QBs dont.

I think they did, I just don't think it's something that sets the Bills apart from any other team in the league. 

Do the Bills veteran players do this more/better than other teams veterans? Can you prove it? 

Are the Bills meaningfully different than other teams when it comes to veteran mentoring of young players? 

And again, none of that teaching made a hills of beans difference until Josh Allen. 

Tannehill just made sure his career ends when hes no longer contending for a starting position.  Very dumb of him.  Look at all the guys who managed to hang around holding clipboards for 10 more years banking millions because they were team players and valuable in developing rookies.

• Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Tannehill just made sure his career ends when hes no longer contending for a starting position.  Very dumb of him.  Look at all the guys who managed to hang around holding clipboards for 10 more years banking millions because they were team players and valuable in developing rookies.

I don't think is true.  If there is any perceived talent left in a player, he will get a spot.  It's too valuable a position to leave a guy like Tannehill off your roster as a backup over this.  The list of guys who have had a 9 or so year career and then bounced around for 10 more years developing rookies is pretty short.  Colt McCoy comes to mind--not sure who he developed. 

NFL has always been a place where  drug users, PED abusers, wife and child beaters, heavy drinkers/DUI'ers with any talent can find a spot on a roster.  "Non-mentor" is probably further down on the list of exclusion criteria.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Kurt knew Eli Manning was there to take his job and did a masterful job trying to help Eli. He did the same thing with Matt Leinart in Arizona. How he handled the Eli situation is what got him another chance in the first place. So he certainly backed it up when he was playing.  

ah yes, the great Matt Leinart experiment.  And Eli probably had nobody around the house to help him learn to be a good QB. I like Warner, but come on.

7 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair, I guess I was referencing that I wouldn’t be concerned if I were a Titans fan. I don’t think that loss is going to be catastrophic for Tannehill. I expect to see the same player. If people view his comments as a sign of mental weakness, it’s the same Tannehill who’s been in the league for a decade. I’d be more concerned if this were an elite QB who said these things. I think this is a preexisting part of Tannehill’s personality’s. He’s probably always been an emotional player. Obviously just my two cents, I don’t know the guy. 

He needs to incorporate like other players have to fuel his off-season and season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.