Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

13 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This has been going on for years when Steve Young and Joe Montana didn’t get along. The thing about the NFL is there is no passing the torch it’s like another line of work that person is coming to take your job and your livelihood away. 

But it’s Ryan Tannehill I’m guessing the Titans would trade him if someone would take his contract and that’s not likely 

Wrong. Montana and Young were good friends and respectful teammates. 

11 hours ago, Billl said:

I’m curious how many people burying RT over this would be cool with it if their employer brought in some new employee and said “we’re paying this guy a fraction of what you make, and we need you to train him so that we can fire you and give him your job”.

Thats giving me a red delicious and a granny smith and telling me they taste the same.

1) If I have had several years of my team "under-performing" even if Ive been at level or average at my job, I can EXPECT they bring someone in to challenge me.

2) Tanny is 33.  Most starting QBs are done by what... 35?  So if I'm 60 planning to retire at 65 you bet I'm expected to train someone/take them under my wing

3) Companies bring interns and entry level hires all the time to fill roles with the expectation of growth.  So if you want to compare it to the corporate world... again training is an expectation.

4) No one is asking Tanny to give up reps with the first team and saying "no coach, let Malik take these snaps because he is the future".  But are they wanting him to help Willis in the film room, or maybe with  some of the transitional aspects from college to the NFL?  Absolutely.  Just like I would coach a new hire about our company specific policies or maybe point them in the right direction when a small project or ask is put in front of them for the first time.

5) "We're paying this guy a fraction of what you make"  You are ***** right they are - because I've been around the block and Ive earned more pay.  Tanny makes starter money because he is the starter.  He doesnt make elite money because he ISNT ELITE.  If the expectation is that Tanny want to secure a role where there are no questions about the short term starting role, be better.  But, at 33, he should be looking to take the next natural step - platoon starter who will train the new talent and he can make 15-20 million a year for another 5-7 years.

I could go on but you get the point

13 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

Dont think ive ever heard this incredibly apt nickname before. nice work 

It's been used before, on TBD.

56 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I just really don't like this guy so don't take offense if I downvote your replies in sticking up for him. Something about him is very unlikeable. This is another notch in the belt.

Guessing you don't know him, yet you don't like him. OK. Got it. If it makes you feel better, down vote. I guess.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Wrong. Montana and Young were good friends and respectful teammates. 

Tannehill didn't say he wasn't going to be a respectful teammate to the rookie.

And Montana and Young may be friends now, but they weren't at that time.

Q:  "What was your relationship like with Steve Young?"

Joe Montana:  “You ever had anybody try to take your job? (Laughs, applause ensues). It’s a team game but it all starts with individual efforts. So my job with Steve was basically to make sure he stayed behind me. The game is not the same when you stand on the sideline with your uniform on. After you experience that, you don’t want to be anywhere else. We had a working relationship. But it was one of those things where I didn’t care if it was Steve Young, Steve Bono, Steve DeBerg — I had a whole bunch of Steves — it didn’t matter who it was for me. It was my job that I felt I had to make sure they stayed over there watching me as long as possible. But it’s a competitive relationship. … I didn’t feel bad for him.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/10/26/joe-montana-speaks-out-on-49ers-move-steve-young/

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Tannehill didn't say he wasn't going to be a respectful teammate to the rookie.

And Montana and Young may be friends now, but they weren't at that time.

Q:  "What was your relationship like with Steve Young?"

Joe Montana:  “You ever had anybody try to take your job? (Laughs, applause ensues). It’s a team game but it all starts with individual efforts. So my job with Steve was basically to make sure he stayed behind me. The game is not the same when you stand on the sideline with your uniform on. After you experience that, you don’t want to be anywhere else. We had a working relationship. But it was one of those things where I didn’t care if it was Steve Young, Steve Bono, Steve DeBerg — I had a whole bunch of Steves — it didn’t matter who it was for me. It was my job that I felt I had to make sure they stayed over there watching me as long as possible. But it’s a competitive relationship. … I didn’t feel bad for him.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/10/26/joe-montana-speaks-out-on-49ers-move-steve-young/

What’s your point? Joe had Steve at his house for thanksgiving when Steve was alone. Yea they competed fiercely for the starting job but there was a respect there. Your post stated that they didn’t get along. Big difference 

18 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Thats giving me a red delicious and a granny smith and telling me they taste the same.

1) If I have had several years of my team "under-performing" even if Ive been at level or average at my job, I can EXPECT they bring someone in to challenge me.

2) Tanny is 33.  Most starting QBs are done by what... 35?  So if I'm 60 planning to retire at 65 you bet I'm expected to train someone/take them under my wing

3) Companies bring interns and entry level hires all the time to fill roles with the expectation of growth.  So if you want to compare it to the corporate world... again training is an expectation.

4) No one is asking Tanny to give up reps with the first team and saying "no coach, let Malik take these snaps because he is the future".  But are they wanting him to help Willis in the film room, or maybe with  some of the transitional aspects from college to the NFL?  Absolutely.  Just like I would coach a new hire about our company specific policies or maybe point them in the right direction when a small project or ask is put in front of them for the first time.

5) "We're paying this guy a fraction of what you make"  You are ***** right they are - because I've been around the block and Ive earned more pay.  Tanny makes starter money because he is the starter.  He doesnt make elite money because he ISNT ELITE.  If the expectation is that Tanny want to secure a role where there are no questions about the short term starting role, be better.  But, at 33, he should be looking to take the next natural step - platoon starter who will train the new talent and he can make 15-20 million a year for another 5-7 years.

I could go on but you get the point

Training may be an expectation in the corporate world, but it's very often an unfulfilled expectation in situations where the young guy is training to take the only job available away from the guy in that job currently.

2 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

What’s your point? Joe had Steve at his house for thanksgiving when Steve was alone. Yea they competed fiercely for the starting job but there was a respect there. Your post stated that they didn’t get along. Big difference 

It wasn't my post you're talking about there.

But has Tannehill somewhere said he won't invite Willis to Thanksgiving? Or did he just say it wasn't his job to mentor him?

What's my point? I think I made it. If you're still unsure, feel free to re-read.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This has been going on for years when Steve Young and Joe Montana didn’t get along. The thing about the NFL is there is no passing the torch it’s like another line of work that person is coming to take your job and your livelihood away. 

But it’s Ryan Tannehill I’m guessing the Titans would trade him if someone would take his contract and that’s not likely 

I’d be a lot happier with “my job is to make the Titans the best team in the league. I’ll help anyone on this team be their absolute best self - including Malik- but I’m sure as hell going to make sure I’m my best self too and earn my job every snap, every practice and every game.”

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Training may be an expectation in the corporate world, but it's very often an unfulfilled expectation in situations where the young guy is training to take the only job available away from the guy in that job currently.

It wasn't my post you're talking about there.

But has Tannehill somewhere said he won't invite Willis to Thanksgiving? Or did he just say it wasn't his job to mentor him?

What's my point? I think I made it. If you're still unsure, feel free to re-read.

I thought you were the poster whom I had answered. In that post it was said that they don’t get along, I was simply saying that it wasn’t true. And knowing Tanny and his biatch face, he won’t have him over for thanksgiving ;)

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's performance based... and Tannehill isn't performing up to a high standard. It's REAL simple... PERFORM TO THE STANDARD and you won't lose your job.

His attitude is definitely going to give him an even LOWER chance at being retained... so yeah Tannehill, DO YOUR JOB and then you won't have to be replaced.

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If he is fixated on what he can't control, and is not a 'Team' kinda guy, that is likely a big distraction to his so called 'competitiveness'. Considering how he stunk up the joint in Miami, he should be grateful that he is playing within a system that has worked pretty well for him.

I agree with this. My point is, he knows his grasp on this job is slipping.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Montana clearly stated his job was to keep Young or anyone else "behind him", the opposite of "mentoring".

What's the hard part here?

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I’d be a lot happier with “my job is to make the Titans the best team in the league. I’ll help anyone on this team be their absolute best self - including Malik- but I’m sure as hell going to make sure I’m my best self too and earn my job every snap, every practice and every game.”

NFL is like any other business they brought in a guy to take his job and he’s upset about it. 

On 5/4/2022 at 8:52 AM, mikemac2001 said:

Dude didn’t show up for the voluntary workouts that’s a red flag for a leader - if Josh didn’t show up it would be like wtf 

and he was renovating his house who cares do it some other time 

Yep, not like he is doing a DIY project. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.