Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

51 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’m curious how many people burying RT over this would be cool with it if their employer brought in some new employee and said “we’re paying this guy a fraction of what you make, and we need you to train him so that we can fire you and give him your job”.

None of our jobs are in any way comparable to playing a professional sport/playing in the NFL. Bad analogy.

But to play along with your analogy. If I were a couple years away from retirement, and already made almost $200M, I'd be totally fine with it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He sounds like a punk...mad because he knows deep down he isn't good enough just like the Titans think.

A big reason guys like Tannehill don't pan out is this very trait of being afraid of competition to your starting qb position.  If you are afraid a young gun may outplay you then its pretty clear that they probably can. 

I just can't imagine Josh ever not coaching up a young qb even when the time comes that he is outplayed.  Josh will pass on the starter job gracefully but it is much easier to accept after the first ballot HoF career he will have posted first.  Likely he'll just announce his retirement at the end of his last megadeal.  He probably had input on the rookie they drafted 2 yrs  prior that they had been grooming to take over.  

Tannehill has always seemed like a slightly above average QB, good enough to keep the team winning most of its games but not a championship.

But now I look at the AFC -- 16 teams, and it's easy to find at least 10 QBs better than Tannehill.  (Allen, Mahomes, Watson, Russell Wilson, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson, Carr, Jones, Ryan) and at least two young QBs who are probably going to outplay Tannehill this year (Lawrence and Tagovailoa, possibly also Zach Wilson).  Tannehill is no longer above average.  In fact he's probably in the bottom quartile, along with Mills.  And who knows what Trubisky will do in Pittsburgh -- he could turn his career around like Tannehill did in Tennessee.  Tannehill could challenge for designation as the worst QB in the AFC.  

The Titans still have Henry, and a run-based offense will be regular-season effective in a league with pass-based defenses.  They could make it into the playoffs, but Tannehill is just not good enough to win three or four post-season games against the top competition.  

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's not wrong

Whether he's right or wrong, it wasn't the best idea to say it out loud.  It also wasn't a good idea to say how he felt about the Brown trade out loud.  If self-preservation is one of his goals (which it should be), now is the time to "play the game," and play it safe with what comes out of his mouth.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Whether he's right or wrong, it wasn't the best idea to say it out loud.  It also wasn't a good idea to say how he felt about the Brown trade out loud.  If self-preservation is one of his goals (which it should be), now is the time to "play the game," and play it safe with what comes out of his mouth.

I think it's refreshing, personally. Folks are always talking about how press conferences are just soundbites anymore. This is how he actually feels. It wasn't disrespectful or combative.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I think it's refreshing, personally. Folks are always talking about how press conferences are just soundbites anymore. This is how he actually feels. It wasn't disrespectful or combative.

I get it and yeah ... it's nice to see/hear someone speak what's really on his mind.  But my point (which supports what GunnerBill said upstream) is that at this juncture in his career, it might not be the best idea.

While what he said was not disrespectful or combative, it wasn't exactly screaming, "I'm a team player and winning games is the goal."  In two sentences, he just alienated the Titans' new WR and QB.

It seems a lot of folks are making a big deal about Tannenhill's comments when what he said is no different than many other players have said in similar situations.

Also I don't agree he sucks, he's definitely turned his career around with the Titans and I would certainly consider him in the '2nd tier' of NFL starters behind the truly elite franchise guys like Brady/Mahomes/Rogers/etc.

And he must be doing something right against the Bills since we have not beat the Titans since he's been the starter there.

With that said, obviously he knows he needs to perform at a high level this year to keep his job especially if Willis shows something in camp/practice.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I get it and yeah ... it's nice to see/hear someone speak what's really on his mind.  But my point (which supports what GunnerBill said upstream) is that at this juncture in his career, it might not be the best idea.

While what he said was not disrespectful or combative, it wasn't exactly screaming, "I'm a team player and winning games is the goal."  In two sentences, he just alienated the Titans' new WR and QB.

I don't believe he alienated anyone. He's the starting QB. The rookies will get on his page, not the other way round.

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

If I were a Titans fan this would concern me a little.  Yes, losing sucks.  Josh had it worse and handled it better.  And Tannie seems real bitter about the Titans nabbing another QB, adding it's not his job to train him?  Not sure his head's gonna be in the game this season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33849881/tennessee-titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-sought-therapy-playoff-loss-says-not-job-mentor-malik-willis?platform=amp

Are you suggesting that going to therapy means he didn't handle it well?

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't believe he alienated anyone. He's the starting QB. The rookies will get on his page, not the other way round.

I can't imagine that when the new WR read that trading AJ Brown was like a bad dream that it made him feel great.  Same with the QB after the "I'm not here to mentor him," comment.

I agree with you that it's up to the rookies to get on the same page and I'm sure they'll end up getting along just fine.

I'm just saying that it was unnecessary and for a QB whose end is in sight, he should be marketing himself for his next opportunity.

Tannehill is lucky to have made it this far and he should be grateful and willing to do whatever the team asks of him. He was a bust of a QB, got a 2nd chance with a team that was like we know you can't throw so we will just run the ball and maybe you can complete some play action off of that, and now being "just a guy" on a good team he was able to parlay that into a big contract. Now he has $100+ million and he and his kids' kids' kids' kids will never have to work a day in their lives. What's the difference if he loses his starting job this year or next year or 5 years from now? He's not very good but now he's very rich so who cares? If he was smart he would be the best mentor on the planet and maybe he can hang around as a backup for a while and keep raking in the $

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

You would think he would have a better attitude when he ponders the 10s of millions he might be leaving on the table by not being the agreeable, good teammate kind of guy.

He still has an entire chapter of his career left, post starter status--as you point out!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.