Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

The Titans have a lot more to worry about than Ryan Tannehill's comments.

Last year, they managed to nab the top seed in the AFC and still managed to lose in the Divisional Playoffs.  They pretty much peaked, and still couldn't win a playoff game.  Things aren't going to get any easier moving forward, in their division or in the conference.

Derrick Henry just reached the dreaded Age 28 milestone, which has historically proven to be the place where Running Back production starts falling off.  That's not even considering his usage (which is way higher than average) or that he's coming off a foot injury.

The offense is also pretty much starting over at Wide Receiver, trading A.J. Brown and not re-signing Julio Jones.  They were replaced with Robert Woods (also coming off a major injury) and a rookie.  Even if you like Treylon Burks, it's unlikely he immediately replaces Brown's production.

Overall, their draft and free agent class were pretty underwhelming.  

Don't be surprised if the Titans manage to miss the playoffs in 2022, considering all the competition.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Sure Kurt, he's not trying to win your job from you. Easy to say when you don't have to back it up.

Shouldn't the coaches be the ones teaching Malik how to be an NFL QB? I get so tired of the 'mentor' schtick.  It's possible to be a good teammate and not need to be a mentor. Tannehill has enough on his plate as the starting QB.

I mean, Kurt literally mentored Eli in NY, which got him another gig with the Cardinals where he mentored Leinhart. So you can't discount what he's saying with "he's not trying to win your job". They have, and he still did.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m curious how many people burying RT over this would be cool with it if their employer brought in some new employee and said “we’re paying this guy a fraction of what you make, and we need you to train him so that we can fire you and give him your job”.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

I've told people repeatably for years that starting pro QBs don't mentor the guy coming to replace him 

Sure there ARE some bridge QBs and fringe guys who will take a QB under their wing... But usually not a top 15-20 guy 

He's not going to give you all his secrets and tricks to the trade... That will just have him replace you sooner 

You can be a respectable teammate without mentoring a guy trying to take your job 

You can and will be wally pipped in the NFL if you don't perform... You never know when that will happen either so most aren't kicking down doors to mentor the guy coming for his Job

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I've told people repeatably for years that starting pro QBs don't mentor the guy coming to replace him 

Sure there ARE some bridge QBs and fringe guys who will take a QB under their wing... But not a top 15-20 guy 

He's not going to give you all his secrets and tricks to the trade... That will just have him replace you sooner 

You can be a respectable teammate without mentoring a guy trying to take your job 

Tannehill has proven to be a competent , if not spectacular , QB. He should feel self assured that there will always be teams looking for his (moderate) skills every year. 

He should be a good team mate or pretend to be one, as part of an audition for the next job. 

• Agree 2

It seemed like an unnecessary statement to say he won’t mentor Willis. But he’s far from the first QB to say it.

“I was shocked. When I first found out, I'm like, 'This isn't real, this isn't happening, it's a rumor,'" Tannehill said of the Brown trade. "And then, I talked to A.J. and found out it was real. I slept terrible that night and kept thinking it was just a bad dream, but that's where we're at."

I think it’s telling that the team didn’t even give Tannehill a heads up on the AJ Brown trade.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sure there ARE some bridge QBs and fringe guys who will take a QB under their wing... But usually not a top 15-20 guy 

You can and will be wally pipped in the NFL if you don't perform... You never know when that will happen either so most aren't kicking down doors to mentor the guy coming for his Job

I completely agree with that, but if Tannehill were smart he'd recognise where he is now in his career. Handle this situation well and he will get other starting gigs even if TEN moves on after this year. Handle it badly and he restricts his market because he would only then be attractive to teams who think they are going to ride with him for 2 or 3 seasons, and I struggle to think of teams fitting that description. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I completely agree with that, but if Tannehill were smart he'd recognise where he is now in his career. Handle this situation well and he will get other starting gigs even if TEN moves on after this year. Handle it badly and he restricts his market because he would only then be attractive to teams who think they are going to ride with him for 2 or 3 seasons, and I struggle to think of teams fitting that description. 

Absolutely

He's at a crossroads

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Tannehill has proven to be a competent , if not spectacular , QB. He should feel self assured that there will always be teams looking for his (moderate) skills every year. 

He should be a good team mate or pretend to be one, as part of an audition for the next job. 

He also needs to understand that any competent GM with Ryan Tannehill as his QB will always be looking to upgrade the position.

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

I'm not concerned for us.  His statements just have me wondering if he's gonna start forcing things, trying too hard.  And we all know how well hero-ball works out.

Fair, I guess I was referencing that I wouldn’t be concerned if I were a Titans fan. I don’t think that loss is going to be catastrophic for Tannehill. I expect to see the same player. If people view his comments as a sign of mental weakness, it’s the same Tannehill who’s been in the league for a decade. I’d be more concerned if this were an elite QB who said these things. I think this is a preexisting part of Tannehill’s personality’s. He’s probably always been an emotional player. Obviously just my two cents, I don’t know the guy. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.