Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

14 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Probably the only thing wrong with Tannehill's statement was being honest with the Media. All it does is serve as a distraction. Don't have an issue with what he said but he was better off keeping his mouth shut.

This.  I have no issue with him feeling it, but saying it isn't a good look.  This sounds like a guy that's at the point now that he might just go out and try and make a point through hero-ball, and that's not at all his strength.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

Agreed

He just needs to accept this as his role. His window is all but shut as “the answer” to a teams QB woes. 

A tough pill to swallow. 

1 hour ago, GolfandBills said:

Probably should be… beat us the last two games 

Nope... not concerned, the Titans ***** the Bills with the Covid bull#### the first time. And the other was Josh slipping on an invisible banana peel.

Reason why I knew they were no threat as the #1 seed. They get lucky but the luck doesn't last.

Edited by TBBills

38 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Sure Kurt, he's not trying to win your job from you. Easy to say when you don't have to back it up.

Shouldn't the coaches be the ones teaching Malik how to be an NFL QB? I get so tired of the 'mentor' schtick.  It's possible to be a good teammate and not need to be a mentor. Tannehill has enough on his plate as the starting QB.

Kurt knew Eli Manning was there to take his job and did a masterful job trying to help Eli. He did the same thing with Matt Leinart in Arizona. How he handled the Eli situation is what got him another chance in the first place. So he certainly backed it up when he was playing.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

If I were a Titans fan this would concern me a little.  Yes, losing sucks.  Josh had it worse and handled it better.  And Tannie seems real bitter about the Titans nabbing another QB, adding it's not his job to train him?  Not sure his head's gonna be in the game this season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33849881/tennessee-titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-sought-therapy-playoff-loss-says-not-job-mentor-malik-willis?platform=amp

Eh.  It's the beginning of the end, but it's not the end yet.  Roethlisberger said pretty much the same about Mason Rudolph and IIRC Aaron Rodgers said stuff that amounted to the same thing about Love. 

Roethlisberger had an all-pro kind a year in 2018 - >5000 yds passing, 67% completions, 34 TD and 5 INT, 7.6 ypa, only 24 sacks.  James Conner had a pro-bowl rushing year.  Smith-Schuster and AB both had >1200 receiving yards.

Unfortunately the #16 D let them down and they went 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs - showing, IMO, that one does need a decent defense to allow a great QB to win championships.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh.  It's the beginning of the end, but it's not the end yet.  Roethlisberger said pretty much the same about Mason Rudolph and IIRC Aaron Rodgers said stuff that amounted to the same thing about Love. 

Roethlisberger had an all-pro kind a year in 2018 - >5000 yds passing, 67% completions, 34 TD and 5 INT, 7.6 ypa, only 24 sacks.  James Conner had a pro-bowl rushing year.  Smith-Schuster and AB both had >1200 receiving yards.

Unfortunately the #16 D let them down and they went 9-6-1 and missed the playoffs - showing, IMO, that one does need a decent defense to allow a great QB to win championships.

Roethlisberger was annoying when he did that, just ignoring the fact that he'd been talking about retiring soon before they drafted Rudolph.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

I often wonder why in the world veteran QBs make these statements.  Exactly who is the intended audience?  The guy was already drafted, they’re not going to “take it back.”  Tannehill has never struck me as the brightest bulb anyway, but this is just stupid.

Besides, all of the QBs on a team are together almost all of the time anyway — in meetings, practices, and they talk to each other during games.  There is quite literally no reason to make these kinds of statements that only serve to make the veteran QB look like an ass.

Tannehill — a guy who has already “won” in the game of the business of football, is too good to help a young teammate?  What a moron.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

I just don't like his face.

I had an old friend break up with a girl for similar reason. I asked if they had a fight or something. He said no, I just got tired of her face. 😀 True story! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I think you'd at least want to portray yourself in a better light, even if it isn't true. Guys who complain about mentoring other players come across as incredibly insecure and bitter.

As a player it is always better to take the stance of "Hey, I am always willing to help out my teammates in any way I can. If young players need advice or mentoring, all they need to do is ask. I'm an open book."

As a player, you always need to be mindful of your brand and your legacy.

Considering the hit rate for 3rd round QBs is 15-20%*, anyone who thinks Willis is a lock to be the Titans next starting QB needs to remember the odds aren't very good.

*-based on my 20 year study of drafts in the 21st century where the 3rd round hit rate was 17%.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.