Tannehill melting down?

The Red King

If I were a Titans fan this would concern me a little.  Yes, losing sucks.  Josh had it worse and handled it better.  And Tannie seems real bitter about the Titans nabbing another QB, adding it's not his job to train him?  Not sure his head's gonna be in the game this season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33849881/tennessee-titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-sought-therapy-playoff-loss-says-not-job-mentor-malik-willis?platform=amp

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

Tannehill is right. It isn't his job to mentor Malik. But if he wants to prolong his NFL career he would do it. Because after next season when his run on TEN is at an end if he wants to continue as an NFL starter his best bet is as a bridge for a team looking to draft and develop a young QB. You can make good money as a bridge. Look at Tyrod, Teddy et al. But if he gets a reputation as a guy who makes trouble when a rookie is put into the room it will hurt his chances of getting signed for that kind of role. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 15
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I wouldn’t be too concerned. The Titans are going to get the same Tannehill as normal, which isn’t much to begin with. 

I'm not concerned for us.  His statements just have me wondering if he's gonna start forcing things, trying too hard.  And we all know how well hero-ball works out.

• Like (+1) 1

This has been going on for years when Steve Young and Joe Montana didn’t get along. The thing about the NFL is there is no passing the torch it’s like another line of work that person is coming to take your job and your livelihood away. 

But it’s Ryan Tannehill I’m guessing the Titans would trade him if someone would take his contract and that’s not likely 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t think it was really wise of him to say what he did.  He’s not wrong, he just shouldn’t have said it.  A simple, “Malik has a lot of great attributes, we’ll be working side by side everyday.  Competition makes us all better.” would have saved him looking like an ass about it.  Now he looks bitter and like a guy who will never be ok being a bridge QB.  There’s 15-25M a year in that gig for a guy like him.  I’m not saying that’s where he’ll end up, but he may well have cost himself 100M on the back side of his career.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

15 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If I were a Titans fan this would concern me a little.  Yes, losing sucks.  Josh had it worse and handled it better.  And Tannie seems real bitter about the Titans nabbing another QB, adding it's not his job to train him?  Not sure his head's gonna be in the game this season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33849881/tennessee-titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-sought-therapy-playoff-loss-says-not-job-mentor-malik-willis?platform=amp

This is similar to the Bills selecting Trent(ative) Edwards when Losman was the starter. Tannehill is better than JPL was but in both cases, the teams took a mid-round pick to challenge the starter. 

18 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I don't see anything here.

"The veteran quarterback said he understands how the league works and welcomes the competition. 'I don't think it's my job to mentor him,' Tannehill said. 'But if he learns from me along the way, that's a great thing.'"

This is an absolute nothingburger.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tannehill is a fine NFL QB for teams that dont have an elite QB.  But if you have Tannehill, Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins as your QB you better be looking under every stone to find a guy with elite talent because you are never winning a Super Bowl with those type of guys.  The downside of that, beyond not having a real chance to win a superbowl, is that they are just good enough to keep you out of the top 5 of the draft where those elite guys (though rarely) are usually found. 

Bottom line in the NFL, and I've said this before about other teams, is if you dont have a top 10 QB you dont have a legitimate chance beyond a lot of luck to win a Super Bowl anymore.   Does it happen, yes, but not often enough to build your team around a average QB, a good running game, and a good defense.  

Not for nothing, if I were Willis I am not sure I'd be knocking down Tannehill's door to learn from him anyways.  A lot of what Willis needs can be learned from observation alone.  Study habits, and workout habits of an NFL QB can be gleaned from watching the guy.   

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Huge nothing of a story.  A guy giving and honest take is refreshing.   Favre had the same take with Rodgers. 

They are all going to be practicing together and in the film room/QB room together, so the rookie is going to be "mentored" by default.  I'm sure he will, if asked halfway into the season, tell everyone how much Tannehill is helping him learn the game.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Tannehill sucks and Malik probably should learn to do the opposite of many of the things he does.

I get that he didn’t sign a contract that said “I will mentor the next guy” and none of us would want be training our replacement at our job. But the NFL is a different animal. And if you want to stick in the league as much as possible you have to be willing to embrace those roles. looking forward to the Titans implosion this year!

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Sure Kurt, he's not trying to win your job from you. Easy to say when you don't have to back it up.

Shouldn't the coaches be the ones teaching Malik how to be an NFL QB? I get so tired of the 'mentor' schtick.  It's possible to be a good teammate and not need to be a mentor. Tannehill has enough on his plate as the starting QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.