Jerry being Jerry reveals top of draft board

CorkScrewHill

Just now, GolfandBills said:

Should we fire Beane now?

??? It is an interesting data point that is all. I would not judge our draft based on what the Cowboys thought. Actually I am a 3 year to really know the quality of the draft kind of guy. The Jets won the draft in 2018 per experts .. didn’t really pan out for them

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

So they had a 1st round grade on Cine at S but passed him up for a OL they had listed as a 2nd rounder? Jeruhhhhh!

The CB ranking is interesting. They had McDuffie super low (probably due to size) and Gordon higher than him and Elam (probably again due to size). Sounds like the Bills had McDuffie as a 1st rounder because they said as soon as he went they only had 1 guy left (Elam). So the Bills had Gordon as a 2nd rounder. Beane said after Elam they had some guys that were close together (Gordon, Booth, ?).

I don't believe the Bills had a 1st on McDuffie. Don't think he was ever their pick. I'm not surprised the Cowboys had him "super low" as you describe it. I was told there were as many as a dozen teams who didn't have him as a first rounder and was even told Gordon would go ahead of him. Now the latter did not happen, obviously, but the impression the draft media created around McDuffie as a sure fire early pick was not shared by teams. 

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jerry Jones is right on the edge of not being able to live the life he likes to live, or do something as massively demanding as run an NFL franchise.

He is getting OLD and appears very close to not being able to do it anymore.

In a couple years he will be retired out of necessity---or the Cowboys will become a complete tire fire.

Actually, that will be an interesting story to see unfold.  Will Jerry know when to relinquish power and step away?  Will someone in the organization be strong enough to convince him to do it?

I'm likely in the minority here but I enjoy having Jerry around. I'm glad he doesn't own Buff lol but he's a big dumb loveable idiot, and basically a mascot for the league

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

If this was their real board, it helps me understand the poor drafting of the Cowboys over the years.

Why do people keep saying the Cowboys have drafted poorly? In the last 10 years they have more drafted all pros than almost anyone. They have drafted well in recent years. That great offensive line, 3 cornerstone 1st team all pros drafted by the team (Smith, Martin, Fredricks). Zeke. Parsons. Diggs. Vander Esch. Byron Jones That is 10 years 8 drafted all pros. 6 of those 8 were first team all pros and the linemen are multiple time all pros. That is without Prescott, Jaylon Smith and CeeDee Lamb who haven't been all pros but have been to pro bowls. That is a pretty good haul in 10 years of drafting. Not sure there are many teams doing much better than that. 

And if you think only looking at all pros distorts the picture overall.... then @JGMcD2's analysis from 2018-2021 has them 6th and the ESPN study that came out last week from 2012 to 2021 has them 4th. 

If people don't think Dallas has drafted well in recent years I have no idea what their metric for that is. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nobody will convince me that it wasn't Tennessee they were concerned about. The common knowledge pre-draft was the Tennessee was interested in receiver and corner. Everyone felt receiver was the biggest need (even before the Brown trade). But suddenly they had two first round picks and took a receiver at 18. Interestingly Beane said he started calling teams at about spot 20. Why? Because until Tennessee had pick #18 and #26 he really wasn't worried about them taking a corner. They were going receiver first. Tennessee want corners who can play press man. It matters in their scheme. As soon as the Bills took Elam they traded out of the round and took McCreary (the other guy with a lot of press man on his tape) at the top of the 2nd. 

People saying "look Dallas were no threat to take Elam we didn't need to give up that pick" are missing the point. It was not an offensive trade up to jump a team, it was a defensive trade up to stop them being jumped. Did they need to? Could they have got him at #25? They are questions people can argue back and forth about. But it was never about Dallas. It was about Tennessee first and foremost. Might other teams have concerned them to? Sure, but when you join the dots the realy reason for that trade up would appear to reside in Nashville. 

Great post! 💯🎯

Dallas must've had a deal in place with Tennessee (or somebody else) that would've netted them a 3rd rounder, I think that's why they seemed dejected after we traded up. It must've been an overpay offer based on their reaction.

Edited by 947
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't believe the Bills had a 1st on McDuffie. Don't think he was ever their pick. I'm not surprised the Cowboys had him "super low" as you describe it. I was told there were as many as a dozen teams who didn't have him as a first rounder and was even told Gordon would go ahead of him. Now the latter did not happen, obviously, but the impression the draft media created around McDuffie as a sure fire early pick was not shared by teams. 

Maybe the Bills had Elam over McDuffie (they would certainly want you to believe that now at this point) but they definitely had McDuffie as a 1st rounder too based on how he phrased it. Beane said after KC traded up to take McDuffie there was only 1 player left on their board with a 1st round grade (Elam). So from that you can also ascertain that they did not have Gordon or Booth or any other player picked after them graded as 1st round talent, including the Packers pick before them or the Cowboys pick after them who they jumped in the trade up

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Why do people keep saying the Cowboys have drafted poorly? In the last 10 years they have more drafted all pros than almost anyone. They have drafted well in recent years. That great offensive line, 3 cornerstone 1st team all pros drafted by the team (Smith, Martin, Fredricks). Zeke. Parsons. Diggs. Vander Esch. Byron Jones That is 10 years 8 drafted all pros. 6 of those 8 were first team all pros and the linemen are multiple time all pros. That is without Prescott, Jaylon Smith and CeeDee Lamb who haven't been all pros but have been to pro bowls. That is a pretty good haul in 10 years of drafting. Not sure there are many teams doing much better than that. 

And if you think only looking at all pros distorts the picture overall.... then @JGMcD2's analysis from 2018-2021 has them 6th and the ESPN study that came out last week from 2012 to 2021 has them 4th. 

If people don't think Dallas has drafted well in recent years I have no idea what their metric for that is. 

Winning percentage, playoff wins, division titles, SB appearances, and SB wins are the long term metrics that mean something.  When you look at their performance excluding some artificial media driven awards, they come up short.  They draft some good players (as do most teams) but they have done a poor job of building a complete team.  Jerry likes to make the big splash pick (CeeDee Lamb) when good players in areas of real need are available.  A handful of stars sprinkled through a roster can't make up for the glaring talent voids that exist elsewhere.

14 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Interesting. 

...But, Beane mentioned this:

A Draft board is not necessarily based on who is a better player overall, but who fits each team the best. It's not Mel Kiper's top 150 players.

...However, having a base grade and adjusting it for each team's targets could be valuable. I always wondered why teams don't employ experts focused solely on gathering intelligence on every opponent.  

I agree….

nfl is system driven.  You aren’t drafting a player who doesn't fit your system

you aren’t drafting a 3-4 ILB for your 3-4 system.

you are set at QB,a QB is not going to be anywhere in your top 70. Similar with other positions you are set in fir the next 3 yrs.

you want cover corners you aren’t drafting more zone system CBS.

People need to move on about the fourth round pick.  I’ve never seen a more insignificant obsession ever.

Worse yet, we STILL got the SAME player Beane would have taken in the 4th by trading up to top of 5th to get him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Winning percentage, playoff wins, division titles, SB appearances, and SB wins are the long term metrics that mean something.  When you look at their performance excluding some artificial media driven awards, they come up short.  They draft some good players (as do most teams) but they have done a poor job of building a complete team.  Jerry likes to make the big splash pick (CeeDee Lamb) when good players in areas of real need are available.  A handful of stars sprinkled through a roster can't make up for the glaring talent voids that exist elsewhere.

Totally disagree. Ceedee was an example of sticking to the board rather than drafting for need. He was the BPA. Dallas are 8th in total win - loss record since 2010. Yes they haven't got over the hump in the playoffs. But that in itself is a flawed metric for judging drafting.

12 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Ive never understood why seeing someones draft board after guys have been drafted matters much in the long term.

it will only make the GM/ scouts look silly years later as undoubtedly the players careers will never line up with the rankings.  So they are just trying to protect themselves.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Totally disagree. Ceedee was an example of sticking to the board rather than drafting for need. He was the BPA. Dallas are 8th in total win - loss record since 2010. Yes they haven't got over the hump in the playoffs. But that in itself is a flawed metric for judging drafting.

Unless you have their board, you don't know that Lamb was BPA on their board.  At that time, their defense had many holes and a receiver was a luxury that they could not afford.  Even their local sports media questioned the pick.  As long as Jerry interjects his input into their drafting, they will remain a floundering mess that plays in one of the weakest divisions in the league.

58 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Unless you have their board, you don't know that Lamb was BPA on their board.  At that time, their defense had many holes and a receiver was a luxury that they could not afford.  Even their local sports media questioned the pick.  As long as Jerry interjects his input into their drafting, they will remain a floundering mess that plays in one of the weakest divisions in the league.

He was at the very least a consensus BPA. Your reaction is exactly what people who want to draft for need say "ah they had holes here and there" so what? The draft shouldn't be about holes. The reason Dallas is a good drafting team is they don't draft to fill holes with those early picks they draft difference makers. And Jerry's input on drafting is negligible. Will McClay runs their drafts and he runs them darn well. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.