Jerry being Jerry reveals top of draft board

CorkScrewHill

https://dailysnark.com/2022/05/03/the-internet-deciphered-the-dallas-cowboys-draft-sheet-that-jerry-jones-showed-the-media-during-press-conference/

this can be found on multiple sites, but this one listed the full list based off the Athletic.com analysis

1. Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon: drafted at No. 5 by the Giants.

2. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama: drafted at No. 7 by the Giants.

3. Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan: drafted at No. 2 by the Lions.

4. Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State: drafted at No. 10 by the Jets.

5. Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati: drafted at No. 4 by the Jets.

6. Derek Stingley, CB, LSU: drafted at No. 3 by the Texans.

7. Travon Walker, DE, Georgia: drafted at No. 1 by the Jaguars.

8. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame: drafted at No. 14 by the Ravens.

9. Ikem Ekwonu, OT, North Carolina State: drafted at No. 6 by the Panthers.

10. Drake London, WR, USC: drafted at No. 8 by the Falcons.

11. Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia: drafted at No. 13 by the Eagles.

12. Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State: drafted at No. 9 by the Seahawks.

13. Lewis Cine, S, Georgia: drafted at No. 32 by the Vikings.

14. Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama: drafted at No. 12 by the Lions.

The second-round grades on the front of the paper appear to go as follows:

15. Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State: drafted at No. 11 by the Saints.

16. Tyler Smith, OL, Tulsa: drafted at No. 24 by the Cowboys.

17. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah: drafted at No. 27 by the Jaguars.

18. Daxton Hill, S, Michigan: drafted at No. 31 by the Bengals.

19. Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State: drafted at No. 36 by the Jets.

20. Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M: drafted at No. 15 by the Texans.

21. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue: drafted at No. 30 by the Chiefs.

22. Zion Johnson, OG, Boston College: drafted at No. 17 by the Chargers.

23. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas: drafted at No. 18 by the Titans.

24. Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington: drafted at No. 39 by the Bears.

25. Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa: drafted at No. 25 by the Ravens.

26. David Ojabo, DE, Michigan: drafted at No. 45 by the Ravens.

27. Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State: drafted at No. 16 by the Commanders.

28. Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State: drafted at No. 26 by the Jets.

29. Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida: drafted at No. 23 by the Bills.

30. Arnold Ebiketie, DE, Penn State: drafted at No. 38 by the Falcons.

31. Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington: drafted at No. 21 by the Chiefs.

32. Quay Walker, LB, Georgia: drafted at No. 22 by the Packers.

33. Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia: drafted at No. 28 by the Packers.

34. Logan Hall, DE, Houston: drafted at No. 33 by the Buccaneers.

A few things interesting to me at least.

1) only the first 14 had first round grades on them

2) they had 3 CBS ahead of Elam who came in at 29 for them and one was still on the board (Kyler Gordon) when they drafted so they were not targeting Elam there. They had McDuffie after Elam .. and Booth did not make the list of first / second round grades unless one of the last ones that were not deciphered.

3) they had Breece Hall at 19 overall

the Cowboys are not a great drafting team but it is interesting to see how they had things lined up

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Interesting. 

...But, Beane mentioned this:

A Draft board is not necessarily based on who is a better player overall, but who fits each team the best. It's not Mel Kiper's top 150 players.

...However, having a base grade and adjusting it for each team's targets could be valuable. I always wondered why teams don't employ experts focused solely on gathering intelligence on every opponent.  

Edited by unbillievable
  • Like (+1) 3

All teams grade players differently, and base it on their role and how they fit in their schemes to some degree. 

I'll trust Beane and team with DBs to pick the right ones and coach them up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

the Cowboys are not a great drafting team but it is interesting to see how they had things lined up

I disagree. The Cowboys are a good drafting team. In the last 10 years they are top 2 or 3 in terms of all pros drafted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

https://dailysnark.com/2022/05/03/the-internet-deciphered-the-dallas-cowboys-draft-sheet-that-jerry-jones-showed-the-media-during-press-conference/

this can be found on multiple sites, but this one listed the full list based off the Athletic.com analysis

2) they had 3 CBS ahead of Elam who came in at 29 for them and one was still on the board (Kyler Gordon) when they drafted so they were not targeting Elam there. They had McDuffie after Elam .. and Booth did not make the list of first / second round grades unless one of the last ones that were not deciphered.

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Interesting. 

...But, Beane mentioned this:

A Draft board is not necessarily based on who is a better player overall, but who fits each team the best. It's not Mel Kiper's top 150 players.

...However, having a base grade and adjusting it for each team's targets could be valuable. I always wondered why teams don't employ experts focused solely on gathering intelligence on every opponent.  

A couple of things - First  - the Cowboys have recently been an excellent drafting team by most measures.  They had a bad run for a while, but have been a top 5 drafting team over the last 5-7 years.

Second - a draft board for each team is fairly unique because unlike someone’s top 10 board - it takes into account a teams needs and scheme fit.  CB was not a big need for Dallas - so that pushed CB value down their board.  OL and DL seem more their need based upon their board set-up if real.

Third - Beane said in his press conference they were not necessarily worried about Baltimore or Dallas picking CB, but we’re very worried about a trade up into that spot by a team wanting a CB as that was the Bills pressing need.

Finally - @unbillievable - I am not sure that teams do not have people that concentrate solely on gathered data.  Beane has talked about how - especially the pro scouting staff after the FA push - spend time looking at team needs and matching that to visits and draft history.  They do several mock drafts and get competitive about having the right choices play out.  My guess is every rumor, every scouting visit, every piece of intel they get goes into a database to help them prepare and better plan future drafts.  I think they have people on the payroll who gather and enter all of that data and trends.

We also know the Bills self scout those same traits after each draft to try and ensure they do not fall into the same ruts over and over.  

If you went through each teams payroll- I think you will find some nebulous names/positions that end up as really an IT guy solely dedicated to gathering as factual as possible information about each teams plans leading up to the draft.  It is part of the reason smoke screens are common by teams because everything they say gets out to someone listening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Third - Beane said in his press conference they were not necessarily worried about Baltimore or Dallas picking CB, but we’re very worried about a trade up into that spot by a team wanting a CB as that was the Bills pressing need.

Nobody will convince me that it wasn't Tennessee they were concerned about. The common knowledge pre-draft was the Tennessee was interested in receiver and corner. Everyone felt receiver was the biggest need (even before the Brown trade). But suddenly they had two first round picks and took a receiver at 18. Interestingly Beane said he started calling teams at about spot 20. Why? Because until Tennessee had pick #18 and #26 he really wasn't worried about them taking a corner. They were going receiver first. Tennessee want corners who can play press man. It matters in their scheme. As soon as the Bills took Elam they traded out of the round and took McCreary (the other guy with a lot of press man on his tape) at the top of the 2nd. 

People saying "look Dallas were no threat to take Elam we didn't need to give up that pick" are missing the point. It was not an offensive trade up to jump a team, it was a defensive trade up to stop them being jumped. Did they need to? Could they have got him at #25? They are questions people can argue back and forth about. But it was never about Dallas. It was about Tennessee first and foremost. Might other teams have concerned them to? Sure, but when you join the dots the realy reason for that trade up would appear to reside in Nashville. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jerry Jones is right on the edge of not being able to live the life he likes to live, or do something as massively demanding as run an NFL franchise.

He is getting OLD and appears very close to not being able to do it anymore.

In a couple years he will be retired out of necessity---or the Cowboys will become a complete tire fire.

Actually, that will be an interesting story to see unfold.  Will Jerry know when to relinquish power and step away?  Will someone in the organization be strong enough to convince him to do it?

• Like (+1) 1

The Cowboys pry had a deal to trade back in place with another team assuming Elam was still on the board.  The initial shot of their war room wasn't one of being thrilled that they were about to pick Smith.  They seemed to be scrambling.  We'll never know but that's what my gut instinct was.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nobody will convince me that it wasn't Tennessee they were concerned about. The common knowledge pre-draft was the Tennessee was interested in receiver and corner. Everyone felt receiver was the biggest need (even before the Brown trade). But suddenly they had two first round picks and took a receiver at 18. Interestingly Beane said he started calling teams at about spot 20. Why? Because until Tennessee had pick #18 and #26 he really wasn't worried about them taking a corner. They were going receiver first. Tennessee want corners who can play press man. It matters in their scheme. As soon as the Bills took Elam they traded out of the round and took McCreary (the other guy with a lot of press man on his tape) at the top of the 2nd. 

People saying "look Dallas were no threat to take Elam we didn't need to give up that pick" are missing the point. It was not an offensive trade up to jump a team, it was a defensive trade up to stop them being jumped. Did they need to? Could they have got him at #25? They are questions people can argue back and forth about. But it was never about Dallas. It was about Tennessee first and foremost. Might other teams have concerned them to? Sure, but when you join the dots the realy reason for that trade up would appear to reside in Nashville. 

100% agree - that was exactly what I saw and said to my wife on draft night.

He was 100% worried about Tennessee moving ahead and was working GB and Baltimore to get their guy.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Actually, that will be an interesting story to see unfold.  Will Jerry know when to relinquish power and step away?  Will someone in the organization be strong enough to convince him to do it?

He has already relinquished personnel power over the last decade. Will McClay is their Vice President of Player Personnel and is in complete charge of their evaluation and scouting operation. He is the allegedly the best paid personnel executive in the league that doesn't hold the GM title and is rumoured to be better paid than some that do. He is one of the very best evaluators out there. Basically he chooses the players and the Stephen convinces Jerry. I suspect that Stephen as already assured McClay that when the point comes when Jerry formally steps away (which I agree is probably close) he will be appointed officially as General Manager and Stephen will operate as a more traditional owner. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has already relinquished personnel power over the last decade. Will McClay is their Vice President of Player Personnel and is in complete charge of their evaluation and scouting operation. He is the allegedly the best paid personnel executive in the league that doesn't hold the GM title and is rumoured to be better paid than some that do. He is one of the very best evaluators out there. Basically he chooses the players and the Stephen convinces Jerry. I suspect that Stephen as already assured McClay that when the point comes when Jerry formally steps away (which I agree is probably close) he will be appointed officially as General Manager and Stephen will operate as a more traditional owner. 

Interesting, thanks!

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jerry Jones is right on the edge of not being able to live the life he likes to live, or do something as massively demanding as run an NFL franchise.

He is getting OLD and appears very close to not being able to do it anymore.

In a couple years he will be retired out of necessity---or the Cowboys will become a complete tire fire.

I’d be shocked if Jerry steps down. I think he’d have to be physically unable to do the job. I can’t see him retiring simply because he’s slowing down. People like Jones love fame and fortune, and want to be on that ride as long as possible. Retiring is a different beast for these people than your typical person. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Good post, it gives good insight into the Cowboys organization. I think this convinces me more that Jerry isn’t stepping down anytime soon. Dallas can continue delegating responsibilities to others, while Jones remains the face of the franchise. I don’t see any need for a formal “retirement” in that case. 

So they had a 1st round grade on Cine at S but passed him up for a OL they had listed as a 2nd rounder? Jeruhhhhh!

The CB ranking is interesting. They had McDuffie super low (probably due to size) and Gordon higher than him and Elam (probably again due to size). Sounds like the Bills had McDuffie as a 1st rounder because they said as soon as he went they only had 1 guy left (Elam). So the Bills had Gordon as a 2nd rounder. Beane said after Elam they had some guys that were close together (Gordon, Booth, ?).

5 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I got the impression this was staged so I give that list zero credibility. 

Agreed. If this were real, why would they not have taken Cine (whom they supposedly had ranked 13th overall in a group that only included 14 first rounders) instead of Smith (whom they had graded as a 2nd rounder?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Should we fire Beane now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.