Bengals “seek” respect. Want to prove they aren't one-hit wonder

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33848700/cincinnati-bengals-plan-show-one-hit-wonder

As the Bengals started voluntary offseason workouts on Monday, cornerback Mike Hilton said the team is looking to prove to skeptics that the defending AFC champions are legitimate contenders. Hilton says he has a hunch why people believe the Bengals are a one-hit wonder.

"Because it's the Bengals -- point-blank, period," Hilton said. "When you think of the Bengals, you're like, 'Oh, the Bengals,' you know? But now, with this group of guys that we have and the coaches that we have, we're really turning this organization around. And we're just trying to get the respect we deserve."

oh my. Where to begin?

A team that needs to talk about validation isn’t setting its priorities straight.

They did something in one year in the playoffs that these current Bills haven’t done in four playoffs…..

and that’s win on the road and in KC.

They won gut wrenching road games, the Bills have not.

Yet you don’t see the Bills BEGGING for respect.

If this is the Bengals attitude as a whole entering the 2022 season, I don’t like their chances at being anything more than an average team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

I love our team, but I can’t find any reason to be annoyed with these comments. This board would worship our guys if they went on a respect rant. I’m cool with whatever motivates someone to succeed. The Bengals success isn’t going to be determined by these comments. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

We exhausted everything KC had, and they swooped in and took advantage. Everyone knows this, that’s why they have no respect. 

Plus the Chiefs were obviously  looking past them figuring the hard part was over with the win over Buffalo. That and their miscues from getting cute during the game killed them. 

To a man everyone assumes the Bills would've beaten Cincy in Buffalo if it came to that. 

Edited by billsbackto81

37 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

We exhausted everything KC had, and they swooped in and took advantage. Everyone knows this, that’s why they have no respect. 

Some merit to that POV

18 minutes ago, eball said:

If the Bengals are worried about getting respect instead of worrying about getting better they’re going to get their asses kicked.

I mean, one could say that about last year's Bills - more worried about "running it back" than getting better, and we did get our asses kicked too much.  But we still had a chance to get to the Superbowl at the end of the day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

A team that needs to talk about validation isn’t setting its priorities straight.

They did something in one year in the playoffs that these current Bills haven’t done in four playoffs…..

and that’s win on the road and in KC.

They won gut wrenching road games, the Bills have not.

Yet you don’t see the Bills BEGGING for respect.

If this is the Bengals attitude as a whole entering the 2022 season, I don’t like their chances at being anything more than an average team.

A lot of fans and NFL media thinks they were a fluke so that's definitely motivation.

Same thing was send about Allen and the Bills after the 2020 Covid season as well.

Personally I don't see the Bengals as a one hit wonder because they have a stud QB who was a #1 overall draft pick who quite frankly wasn't even the main catalyst during the playoff run. I think their path for repeat success will be much more difficult this year though since they won't be able to sneak up on anybody and their division is right up there with the AFCW as one of the most brutal in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

This is easy. If your already thinking that way, you've already lost the battle. They were in the SB, and I have a hard time naming 5 players. I believe the Bengals are indeed one hit wonders.  They will join Looking Glass's "Brandy", and The Knack's ":My Sharona" soon. The Raven's will own the North in 2022..   

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Plus the Chiefs were obviously  looking past them figuring the hard part was over with the win over Buffalo. That and their miscues from getting cute during the game killed them. 

This.  That debacle at the end of the first half was their 13 seconds.

And Mahomes was God awful in the 2nd half.  I'm still convinced something happened in that locker room with Reid, Hill, and Mahomes......

And Hill is gone now isn't he?  Hmmm...

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Fair point, but remember Andy Reid pulled that major gaff going on it for 4th down, before the half up 21-10 I think.. That was a big reason Bengals swooped. KC didn't look exhausted at that point. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Bengals will not even make the playoffs this year.

Agree. Maybe not 100% but I think their path to the playoffs is much tougher than it was last year. With or without Watson being suspended, the Browns will likely be a tougher game for them. Pittsburgh will likely be better without Old Man Rothlisberger at the helm. The entire AFC West are potential playoff teams. Then throw in the Colts who will likely be better with Ryan. I’m not saying they won’t make the playoffs, but it’s far from 100%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.