Greg Cosell's List of 14 Guys He Really Likes in the Draft - Bills Got 2 of Them, and Another He Liked

7 hours ago, Tanoros said:

Bernards films shows him being at his best in either close to mid range, and shooting gaps with quickness and agility (good at avoiding blocks and not engaging). To me, this feels like a Klein replacement with some potential to give us more options in the 4-3 defense. We needed depth at lber and we got it. 

It’s like he has an invisibility cloak.  You lose sight of him and he suddenly emerges from the Mass of OL and is on top of the QB/ball carrier.

No roundabout paths.  Quick and sure.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, chris heff said:

Bean has a “fetish with backs that are 5’11”tall”? Moss is 5’9’ and Singletary is 5’7”, who are the tall backs he’s drafted?

Well i guess it would be Cook him being 5' 11" then wouldn't it seeing as i misspoke on the other 2 heaven for bid . 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t know much about him until this weekend but then again I don’t watch much Big 12. But three guys I also didn’t  know much about - Taron J, Matt Milano, Dawson Knox, Gabe Davis… well the rest is history and i trust our decision makers. They aren’t taking this kid in the 3rd round unless they have a plan for him. I also wonder if they know Schoen liked him a lot (there is a picture of him shaking his hand at the Sr Bowl) and thought the NYG might take him early 4th so they grabbed him late 3rd. 

There are 3 types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't. ;)

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Re: Bernard. I posted this the other day on rumblings. Not a post but a comment. The Bills are not taking Taron Johnson off the field, he’s too good and makes too much money. But I remember when we had Zo Alexander. We had a special role for him on third and long. Now Bernard is nothing like Zo physically but are very smart and both had a knack for getting to the QB. Mahomes usually avoids full-size pass rushers with his quickness. We got KC in third and over six a few times but KC made them. I was thinking of this defense if it’s third and ten or more….

Bernard - Boogie - Ed -Von

…..Tremaine - Milano - TJ

Tre - Hyde - Poyer - Elam….

Its a small defense but no one is going to gain ten yards running against it. And the pass rush may be superb. Remember Bernard had I think, 16.5 sacks as a LB…. He’s good at it. He’s also agile enough to get mobile QBs yet big enough to bring the, down. So, technically it’s a 3-3-5 defense or if you call Von a LB. 2-4-5 D….. The Bills definitely have to think outside the box when playing elite QBs…. And pure speed could be the ticket in third and long….

I agree about Taron being super good but I think he does come off the field a bit more.  We talk about Milano injury history, but Taron ended 2018 on the IR and missed 4 games during 2019 with injury.  Giving him 15% less snaps I dont believe will hurt the defense that much and could protect Taron long term which is what I want considering the money you mention (protect that investment).

I agree with others we have been base nickel for McD/Frasier's time but the two NE games last year were some of Tarons lowest snap % of the year (Jags game was 18% so maybe someone can remind me of an injury).  Adding in that the Dolphins and NYJ want to run the 49ers wide zone and quick pass offense, I could see more 4-3 base (will concede that Taron played a lot of snaps in NYJ #2 2021 and SF 2020).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, The Dean said:

You do know the K in K-gun was not for "Kelly", right?  Just checking.

Yup. 

if you think about it K gun reallyshould have been M gun. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm sure I read the stat they were 100% 5 or 6 DBs on the field in 13 or 14 of 17 regular season games last year. 

100% 5-6 Db in 13 games?

I can’t believe that’s correct. 

no short yardage defense in 13 entire games?

Do you have a link for that stat?

Hh

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

I can’t believe that’s correct. 

no short yardage defense in 13 entire games?

Do you have a link for that stat?

Hh

I can't remember where I read it. But I'm sure I read it just after the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hemma said:

It’s like he has an invisibility cloak.  You lose sight of him and he suddenly emerges from the Mass of OL and is on top of the QB/ball carrier.

No roundabout paths.  Quick and sure.

Man, if he's got an invisibility cloak, he's definitely making the team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So they go from 70% nickel to 67%?  

They go from 80-100% nickel to 65-75% (only vs certain teams imo).  4 games of 100%- 12 games over 84%.  

Taron had 3 games under 81% of the defensive snaps (2x vs NE, 1x vs Jax).  

• Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They go from 80-100% nickel to 65-75% (only vs certain teams imo).  4 games of 100%- 12 games over 84%.  

Taron had 3 games under 81% of the defensive snaps (2x vs NE, 1x vs Jax).  

Thanks. That is more accurate than my half remembered numbers from January. Basically when you take out like goalline situations they are pretty much in nickel all the time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They have been base nickel, but there is speculation they are going to evolve and start playing 3 LBs more often 

My WAG is they want the flexibility depending on the opponent. Maybe they didn't feel they could pull it off at times last year but  can this year.  However I don't expect any major change in their typical base set.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks. That is more accurate than my half remembered numbers from January. Basically when you take out like goalline situations they are pretty much in nickel all the time. 

Agree but we could quickly become a TE heavy division.  Pats have the most investment, but Jets signing Uzomah and Conklin could indicate a switch to more 12 personnel.  If we have two division opponents that run 12 or 21 personnel > 40% that would be be a reason to put another LB on the field.  Not counting CHI (though new coach), BAL, or a philosophy change in MIA (SF is > 40%). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills don't play 4-3 as their base, they play nickel due to most teams base formation being 3 WRs.

I know.  I think that's changing.  4-3 with three mobile linebackers is more versatile than the nickel.  I think thats where McD is heading. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, that's interesting about his limitations in pass defense.  I'll have to reshape my thinking.   

As someone else said, they didn't take him to be a situational player.  There were several front office comments saying he can wear the green dot - that is, he's the guy you want running your defense.  

And yes, I hear you about Johnson, but I think McDermott wants a bigger, run oriented guy on the field.  

It will be interesting to see how they use him, and how long it will take to get him there.   If you saw his press conference after he was drafted, he is super-smart.  He talked about how he will learn the whole defense - first learn his position, then learn all the other positions.  He develops an in-depth understanding of everything going on out there.   I think McDermott wants that on the field.  

Consider this. With Levi our defense had to play to cover for him some. Now that we picked up Elam we will have two athletic outside corners (when Tre’s healthy). Perhaps if Bernard has some pass coverage limitations (Cover1 mentioned more about his deeper pass coverage abilities, like how Tremaine can cover the deep middle) but the two more athletic outside corners can allow the defense to cover a potential limitation from Bernard on some of the deeper stuff. 

Ultimately, like you mentioned about Bernard’s ability to be a mlb (green dot), perhaps this move was made to replace Tremaine after this season? 

Bernard is definitely the guy I’m most excited to see in training camp and pre season. Just to see how he is used and how he performs. He sounds like someone who will have a role year 1, even if that’s lb #3 and special teams. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.