Greg Cosell's List of 14 Guys He Really Likes in the Draft - Bills Got 2 of Them, and Another He Liked

Saw Greg Cosell on OBL today, and he's talking about how he makes up a list of "guys he really likes" in the Draft, because he's always being asked "Who do you like?"  He held up a card to the screen and I counted 14 names on it.  The Bills picked three of Cosell's guys:  James Cook, Terrell Bernard, and Khalil Shakir.  This makes me feel WAY better about the Bernard pick, besides being pretty cool that we got three of them.  Here's the link to the podcast:

https://21153.mc.tritondigital.com/OMNY_ONEBILLSLIVE_P/media-session/04a8acd8-e41a-4c05-96ff-78c931cb0e29/d/clips/4b5f9d6d-9214-48cb-8455-a73200038129/e99d70c6-dba4-47e1-ad70-a92b00371897/01de8d32-5ada-409f-8cb7-ae8a013c9d57/audio/direct/t1651605226/OBL_-_Greg_Cosell_on_the_Bills_draft_picks.mp3?t=1651605226

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like in Bernard they got a football player

I was a Parham stanz.......but if Bernard really is that good who are we to question?

I was living in the Boston area when the Pats*** drafted Tedy Bruschi, who was described by the draft "experts" as too small or a tweener with no apparent role in the NFL.  Belichick simply said "he is a football player" when asked why they drafted him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In case anyone is wondering, the list as seen when I paused the video was:

MJ Emerson CB Miss St -BROWNS

Luke Fortner C UK - JAGS

Bryan Cook S Cincinnati - CHIEFS

Zakoby McClain LB Auburn - RAVENS

James Cook RB Georgia - BILLS

Wan’Dale Robinson WR UK - GIANTS

Nik Bonitto EDGE OK - BRONCOS

Perrion Winfrey DL OK - BROWNS

Channing Tindall LB Georgia - DOLPHINS

Deangelo Malone LB W.Kentucky-FALCONS

Tyrion Davis-Price RB LSU - 9ers

Marcus Jones CB Houston - PATS

Terrel Bernard LB Baylor - BILLS

So Shakir wasn’t on that list though he said he was and he said that he loves him. Bills still had 2 on there (Cook and Bernard) and I guess Shakir was an honorable mention.

EDIT: forgot to type one:

Matthew Butler DT - UTenn- RAIDERS

Edited by LEBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Luke Fortner C UK - JAGS

So Shakir wasn’t on that list though he said he was and he said that he loves him. Bills still had 2 on there (Cook and Bernard) and I guess Shakir was an honorable mention.

So 13 names but he lied and said 14 to add an extra Bills pick?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Luke Fortner C UK - JAGS

Well done, too much work for me.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, StHustle said:

So 13 names but he lied and said 14 to add an extra Bills pick?

I counted the card twice, there were 14 names on it.  I looked back at the video, and one was missing from the list above:

Matthew Butler - Rayduhs

I took Cosell at his word, that he really liked Shakir.  I did not verify every name on the card.  For that, I feel shame....  Also modificated the title, so there.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like in Bernard they got a football player

I was a Parham stanz.......but if Bernard really is that good who are we to question?

I was also screaming at the TV for Parham, or any OL.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

• Freddie's Dead changed the title to Greg Cosell's List of 14 Guys He Really Likes in the Draft - Bills Got 2 of Them, and Another He Liked
16 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I counted the card twice, there were 14 names on it.  I looked back at the video, and one was missing from the list above:

Matthew Butler - Rayduhs

I took Cosell at his word, that he really liked Shakir.  I did not verify every name on the card.  For that, I feel shame....  Also modificated the title, so there.

I was also screaming at the TV for Parham, or any OL.

I think the bills knew this year that OL were going to be available later

• Thank you (+1) 1

Having listened to Cosell, now I understand why I'm excited about this draft.   

Liking Elam is a given, whether you like the trade up or not.

Here's what Cosell said about Cook:   The OC's job is to make the QB's job as easy as possible.  The less the QB has to think about what to, the more he can just think about executing, so the big thing you can do for the QB is to allow him to know what the defense will, and to know it as soon as possible.   Post-snap reads make things difficult for the QB.  

When a guy like Cook, a true dual threat, is in the huddle, the Defensive Coordinator doesn't know if he's defending a heavy pass formation or a heavy run formation, because he doesn't know where Cook will be positioned.  That forces the DC to go to his base defense, whatever that is, to have the best chance at defending whatever is coming.  And when that happens, the OC has done his job, because the QB knows he's looking at the base defense, and he knows where he's supposed to attack the base defense.  Running holes get bigger, one receiver or another gets free in open space, either because he had a mismatch or because of where the defense is forced to leave big seams in the zone.   

That's what Cook can do for a team, and there aren't many teams that have a guy like that. 

And then it dawned on me that Bernard is the opposite side of the same story.   The Bills played a lot of nickel last season - it was their base defense.  I think Cosell said they led the league, so the QB always had a good idea of where to attack the Bills.  If Bernard can make the grade, the 4-3 will become the base defense.  And one would think that then the Bills would be vulnerable to versatility just like other teams will be vulnerable to the Bills with Cook in the lineup.  But, no.  With Bernard in the lineup, they can be 4-3 or in nickel, interchangeably, because Bernard can be a safety, or Bernard occasionally may even be a nickel back.  Bernard can take the tight end, leaving a safety free to roam.  

The point is that Cook can force Bills' opponents to go to their base defense, and Bernard can make it difficult for other teams to do the same to them. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Here's what Cosell said about Cook:   The OC's job is to make the QB's job as easy as possible.  The less the QB has to think about what to, the more he can just think about executing, so the big thing you can do for the QB is to allow him to know what the defense will, and to know it as soon as possible.   Post-snap reads make things difficult for the QB.  

When a guy like Cook, a true dual threat, is in the huddle, the Defensive Coordinator doesn't know if he's defending a heavy pass formation or a heavy run formation, because he doesn't know where Cook will be positioned.  That forces the DC to go to his base defense, whatever that is, to have the best chance at defending whatever is coming.  And when that happens, the OC has done his job, because the QB knows he's looking at the base defense, and he knows where he's supposed to attack the base defense.  Running holes get bigger, one receiver or another gets free in open space, either because he had a mismatch or because of where the defense is forced to leave big seams in the zone.   

That's what Cook can do for a team, and there aren't many teams that have a guy like that. 

And then it dawned on me that Bernard is the opposite side of the same story.   The Bills played a lot of nickel last season - it was their base defense.  I think Cosell said they led the league, so the QB always had a good idea of where to attack the Bills.  If Bernard can make the grade, the 4-3 will become the base defense.  And one would think that then the Bills would be vulnerable to versatility just like other teams will be vulnerable to the Bills with Cook in the lineup.  But, no.  With Bernard in the lineup, they can be 4-3 or in nickel, interchangeably, because Bernard can be a safety, or Bernard occasionally may even be a nickel back.  Bernard can take the tight end, leaving a safety free to roam.  

The point is that Cook can force Bills' opponents to go to their base defense, and Bernard can make it difficult for other teams to do the same to them. 

LOL, our whole offense, the K-Gun, should have been called the T-Gun because Jim Kelly had one big read. If it was a run defense, he’d throw to to the Thurmanator, if it was a pass D, he’d hand it off to Thurman. This is absolutely 100% true. Of course it was more complicated than that re: the other receivers….but that was the gist of the K-gun. That’s why we were so unstoppable.

It looks like we will be unstoppable again even though we were already unstoppable….LOL, we have Josh Allen!

Though the two of them will make us even more unstoppable. Both Cook and Shakir.

I think we might have a role forBernard on our defense as well. He is a talented blitzer and we definitely have to do something the next time we play Mahomes in the playoffs….

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Re: Bernard. I posted this the other day on rumblings. Not a post but a comment. The Bills are not taking Taron Johnson off the field, he’s too good and makes too much money. But I remember when we had Zo Alexander. We had a special role for him on third and long. Now Bernard is nothing like Zo physically but are very smart and both had a knack for getting to the QB. Mahomes usually avoids full-size pass rushers with his quickness. We got KC in third and over six a few times but KC made them. I was thinking of this defense if it’s third and ten or more….

Bernard - Boogie - Ed -Von

…..Tremaine - Milano - TJ

Tre - Hyde - Poyer - Elam….

Its a small defense but no one is going to gain ten yards running against it. And the pass rush may be superb. Remember Bernard had I think, 16.5 sacks as a LB…. He’s good at it. He’s also agile enough to get mobile QBs yet big enough to bring the, down. So, technically it’s a 3-3-5 defense or if you call Von a LB. 2-4-5 D….. The Bills definitely have to think outside the box when playing elite QBs…. And pure speed could be the ticket in third and long….

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I knew Beane would get the best players he could but after hereing Cosell bragging on how good Cook was i felt better about the pick . I hated the pick of Moss & i did the pick of Cook at first too because it's like Beane has a fetsh with backs that are 5' 9" tall & 199 lbs & i wanted a bruiser . 

My guy i loved last year was AJ Dillion big back good hands & speed & he could move better than most & GB has used him to their advantage !

But back to the way Cosell , Browny, & Tasker were just gushing over Cook i think he will be a good get for the Bills & Dorsey probably loved it too because that's just one more weapon in his arsenal this season ....

GO BILLS !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.