Alphas Draft thoughts...Our picks, post draft Bills, and Beane

Alphadawg7

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bernard, Tenuta, Spector - I really liked the Bernard pick, I felt he could be a good fit here coming into the draft when I was looking at CB's we could get in the middle or later rounds for depth

Thanks for awesome write-up Alpha.  You may want to correct bolded section as believe you are referring to Benford, Villanova CB picked in 6th Rd.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Thanks for awesome write-up Alpha.  You may want to correct bolded section as believe you are referring to Benford, Villanova CB picked in 6th Rd.

Thanks, yeah fixed it as it keeps autocorrecting to Bernard on me

Edited by Alphadawg7

Good job. Well thought out. I'm in agreement with pretty much every point and very excited as well. Strength and conditioning will be the key. With everyone healthy, this is a dangerous team that will make a deep run and should hoist that beautiful baby that eluded us for so long.  I may be in the minority, but one poster pointed out some interesting traits about Bernard that make him more of a Poyer than a Milano.  Seeing that the hole may be there if we don't resign Poyer long term, I tend to lean that way too.

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks, yeah fixed it as it keeps autocorrecting to Bernard on me

No sweat - if we are lucky - in 3 years when these 2 are starting, every announcer will make same mistake

Edited by freddyjj
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Good job. Well thought out. I'm in agreement with pretty much every point and very excited as well. Strength and conditioning will be the key. With everyone healthy, this is a dangerous team that will make a deep run and should hoist that beautiful baby that eluded us for so long.  I may be in the minority, but one poster pointed out some interesting traits about Bernard that make him more of a Poyer than a Milano.  Seeing that the hole may be there if we don't resign Poyer long term, I tend to lean that way too.

Yeah I have seen some speculation and things suggesting he could make that transition at some point too.  But I don't think thats something they will look at doing this year the way Beane spoke about him post draft though.  

• Like (+1) 1

There's a lot to like but I wonder if we should temper our expectations. I'd be more comfortable if Elam and Jackson fought it out for CB2, but Elam is likely to start the first month regardless of how ready he'll be. Araiza should easily take the starting job, but it will take time to adjust to the WNY weather. No need to rush all the others. 

Enjoyed the read, thx.  Couple of points came to mind for me:

I think Shakir will help the ST by quickly winning over the return duties.  

I think WR group as it stands right now is a little weaker than it was last year.  Most are the same and Crowder, I think, will be a slight improvement over the declining Beas.  And Davis will be in his third year another slight improvement.  But the Sanders void was not filled, currently I don't see a third outside WR.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

"We don't have the best roster because we lack WR depth and Allen carries the team completely on his back.  If Allen, Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Crowder get injured...we are in trouble because of Beane."

- ScottLaw

Ok this got me to literally laugh out loud, well done hahaha 🤣 

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Enjoyed the read, thx.  Couple of points came to mind for me:

I think Shakir will help the ST by quickly winning over the return duties.  

I think WR group as it stands right now is a little weaker than it was last year.  Most are the same and Crowder, I think, will be a slight improvement over the declining Beas.  And Davis will be in his third year another slight improvement.  But the Sanders void was not filled, currently I don't see a third outside WR.

Not to knock Sanders, but I think we were a better offense once Sanders got hurt and gave Davis the window to play more.  Beane even referenced how one mistake they made last year is not getting Davis involved more earlier in the season.  

Additionally, both Sanders and Beane have gushed about Davis and feel he is in line for a big season.  Sanders, despite playing with some truly elite WRs, went so far to say he is just built different and is a Pro Bowl level WR.  

So I actually think Davis today is better than what Sanders was last year.  Again, not a knock on Sanders, more a compliment to Davis.  

And I still think Crowder is being under estimated in terms of what he is capable of in this offense.

So I personally think the WR group is better this year compared to last.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:
  • Brandon Beane - Just gonna say what I have been saying for a while now...he is one of the best, if not the the best, GM in the NFL.  I personally think he is the best GM in football and wouldn't swap him for anyone.  He is already getting that kind of praise around the league now too and it will get cemented when we take home a SB Title.  
    • Surprisingly some people still don't get this:  Beane is always a straight shooter...why some people try and speculate differently when he speaks is puzzling to me.  Listen to the man and its not hard to figure out what he is thinking.  
    • Love his accountability too like when he openly admitted to getting the Teller decision wrong and wished he gave him more time.  A mistake he said he wont make again...which is probably some insight to why Ford is still here despite a lot of people thinking they would trade or cut him by now.  I bet he wants to see what Kromer thinks of him and do with working with him.

You are going to make DCofNC

head explode GIF by FirstAndMonday

with your effuse praise of Beane

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not to knock Sanders, but I think we were a better offense once Sanders got hurt and gave Davis the window to play more.  Beane even referenced how one mistake they made last year is not getting Davis involved more earlier in the season.  

Additionally, both Sanders and Beane have gushed about Davis and feel he is in line for a big season.  Sanders, despite playing with some truly elite WRs, went so far to say he is just built different and is a Pro Bowl level WR.  

So I actually think Davis today is better than what Sanders was last year.  Again, not a knock on Sanders, more a compliment to Davis.  

And I still think Crowder is being under estimated in terms of what he is capable of in this offense.

So I personally think the WR group is better this year compared to last.  

I agree with you, I like Davis as #2 and think he overtook Sanders by year end for the WR2 job.  My  concern is outside WR#3 which had been by years end Sanders.  Now if Davis goes down, it gets tricky.  I don't think Kumerow or the 5th rounder are the answer.

Maybe Crowder can slide over and have McKenzie in the slot (I kind of liked McK in the slot over Beas at the end of the year).

Maybe, they bring back Sanders for the backup, seems like he was saying all the right things - wouldn't cause waves taking the backup role.  But it seemed like Sanders was fading fast (kind of similar to J Brown's rapid slide).  

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree with you, I like Davis as #2 and think he overtook Sanders by year end for the WR2 job.  My  concern is outside WR#3 which had been by years end Sanders.  Now if Davis goes down, it gets tricky.  I don't think Kumerow or the 5th rounder are the answer.

Maybe Crowder can slide over and have McKenzie in the slot (I kind of liked McK in the slot over Beas at the end of the year).

Maybe, they bring back Sanders for the backup, seems like he was saying all the right things - wouldn't cause waves taking the backup role.  But it seemed like Sanders was fading fast (kind of similar to J Brown's rapid slide).  

I think Shakir is gonna surprise you once you see him on the field.  He is versatile and could help more than some think if there is an injury.

And yeah, I wouldn’t rule out Sanders being brought back if there was an injury and he wanted to play again.

8 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Very nice writeup Alpha.

But when you talk about Devin, do you mean his brother Dalvin Cook?  Or are you referring to someone else? 

Thanks, and I was talking about Devin Singletary :) 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.