Thank you, 13 seconds

Success

16 hours ago, Success said:

There is another universe where we held on in that game, and Beane took a different approach to the offseason because of it.

A loss like that can either ruin a team, or make it one of the best ever. Fortunately, we have a GM who treated it as a challenge.  Everything that hurt the Bills in that game and in general has been addressed.  Beane has made a guarantee with every offseason move:  that will not happen again.

The D-line is better, our pass rush is better, our secondary is better, our running game is better, our pass protection is better, our passing game is better.  And yes, our punting and special teams, too.

You can't remove doubt, but you can minimize it.  

13 seconds won't be wide right, or the MCM. Those were exclusively pain.  13 seconds will be remembered fondly as when it really began.

If the Bills won that game they would probably have won the Super Bowl... your take is garbage.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TBBills said:

If the Bills won that game they would probably have won the Super Bowl... your take is garbage.

A little harsh, but all opinions are welcome.

The SB was no slam dunk this past year, though.

Doubt I'll ever remember those "13 seconds" fondly!  Not ever as thank you! I have two words that follow that phrase "13 seconds" and the last word is the same!

I do find it kind of ironic that after that Bills playoff game the Chiefs players and their fans were gloating, saying how much they loved those "13 seconds"... it came back to bite them in the ass against the Bengals.

Anyway, Brandon Beane is the man! Best GM in the league in my view and he is going about building the team as he usually does. Let's not forget that both McD and Beane are first timers in their respective jobs and learning as they go. 

A few things still haunt me from the 2022 season... as in I'll never forget them. 

That Jaguars game in week 9, 2021. To see the Buffalo QB under that much duress and the Bills offense not being able to pass the ball... or run the ball effectively. And yet, the Bills OC keeps calling for pass plays...47 pass attempts vs 14 rush attempts = a 6 to 9 loss to the worst NFL team the last two years.

Pressure, this is the same crap we saw in week one of the 2018 season against the Ravens when Josh was a rookie, Bills QB's sacked 6x. We saw it happen in 2019 against the Ravens with them sacking Josh 6x! Unreal to see the same type of thing happening again in 2021.

The Buffalo QB under constant pressure so the offense can't make throws or run the ball. Just keep passing...

That Colts game week 11, a 41-15 loss. Images still in my mind from Colts players laughing it up in the locker room after that game...talking about how bad that supposed #1 defense really was. Carson Wentz as the QB...Colts offense, 46 rushes for 264 yards on the ground, 4 rushing TDs. Wentz, 11 of 20 for 106 yards. 

The Tampa Bay game week 14. Buffalo getting its behind handed to them by half time, losing 26-0. Bucs thought they had this game in the bag. 

The unicorn gets pissed! He takes the game over, 54 passing attempts for 308 yards yards, 2 TDs. Another 109 rushing yards on 12 attempts, 1 rushing TD.  

This game goes into over time on a Bass 25 yard FG. Sadly, the game was lost to the Bucs on the last play because someone had LBer Edmunds covering a WR. 

Unlike most, I don't care to place all the blame on the head guy. Yes, he has to take some responsibility. I don't see him calling the defensive plays as he has a DC to handle that. 
I don't blame the head guy for the offensive play calls either.

Let's hope some things were learned. 

The way I look at it is, those three games, Jags, Colts, Bucs. The Bills win those and its a 14-3 season with home field. A different story, different outcome. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Doubt I'll ever remember those "13 seconds" fondly!  Not ever as thank you! I have two words that follow that phrase "13 seconds" and the last word is the same!

I do find it kind of ironic that after that Bills playoff game the Chiefs players and their fans were gloating, saying how much they loved those "13 seconds"... it came back to bite them in the ass against the Bengals.

Anyway, Brandon Beane is the man! Best GM in the league in my view and he is going about building the team as he usually does. Let's not forget that both McD and Beane are first timers in their respective jobs and learning as they go. 

A few things still haunt me from the 2022 season... as in I'll never forget them. 

That Jaguars game in week 9, 2021. To see the Buffalo QB under that much duress and the Bills offense not being able to pass the ball... or run the ball effectively. And yet, the Bills OC keeps calling for pass plays...47 pass attempts vs 14 rush attempts = a 6 to 9 loss to the worst NFL team the last two years.

Pressure, this is the same crap we saw in week one of the 2018 season against the Ravens when Josh was a rookie, Bills QB's sacked 6x. We saw it happen in 2019 against the Ravens with them sacking Josh 6x! Unreal to see the same type of thing happening again in 2021.

The Buffalo QB under constant pressure so the offense can't make throws or run the ball. Just keep passing...

That Colts game week 11, a 41-15 loss. Images still in my mind from Colts players laughing it up in the locker room after that game...talking about how bad that supposed #1 defense really was. Carson Wentz as the QB...Colts offense, 46 rushes for 264 yards on the ground, 4 rushing TDs. Wentz, 11 of 20 for 106 yards. 

The Tampa Bay game week 14. Buffalo getting its behind handed to them by half time, losing 26-0. Bucs thought they had this game in the bag. 

The unicorn gets pissed! He takes the game over, 54 passing attempts for 308 yards yards, 2 TDs. Another 109 rushing yards on 12 attempts, 1 rushing TD.  

This game goes into over time on a Bass 25 yard FG. Sadly, the game was lost to the Bucs on the last play because someone had LBer Edmunds covering a WR. 

Unlike most, I don't care to place all the blame on the head guy. Yes, he has to take some responsibility. I don't see him calling the defensive plays as he has a DC to handle that. 
I don't blame the head guy for the offensive play calls either.

Let's hope some things were learned. 

The way I look at it is, those three games, Jags, Colts, Bucs. The Bills win those and its a 14-3 season with home field. A different story, different outcome. 

The Jaguars game was an unforgivable loss. But the Colts and Bucs are good teams so losing to them is not that shocking. The Colts game was a bad game from the beginning as they got blown out but games like that happen sometimes. No shame in losing at TB with Brady. That Jaguars loss was a real killer as far as getting homefield.

21 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Oy, enough with the 13 seconds, already.  I almost wish we had an Omega 13 to help change the outcome so people would stop lamenting ad nauseum.

Quote worthy!  Freakin' awesome post!!!!   Might have to change my screen name now to..."Omega 13" :worthy:

14 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

I cannot find a silver lining in that based on this years draft, dont see the connection at all.   

Free agency and the signing of Von Miller don't count as attempting to improve the team? (Nice name btw).

This topic shows that many fans are still bitter and angry about how last season ended. This surprises me. I've been a fan since 1968 so it's amazing to me to see all the unforgiving fans embracing their frustration over last year like the memory of a bad breakup that they don't want to let go of. Are you all still gonna be angry if the Bills win the Super Bowl? 😆

Seriously if anyone should have an angry death grip on 13 seconds it should be the old timers like me who remember the Joe Collier years, the Harvey Johnson years, the Hank Bullough and Kay Stephenson regimes...

The Bills broke a 17 year playoff drought just 5 years ago. Since then they've been one of the most exciting up and coming teams.

Enjoy it!

As the OP has pointed out this offseason is in stark contrast to last offseason. Recall that after the Bills lost the 2020 AFC Championship Game, they returned 51 starters... in other words the team essentially decided to stand pat.

This offseason couldn't be more different. Names have been taken and the wagons are being loaded with ammo... the armory has been restocked and the team is loaded for bear. Let's forget the past and enjoy the wagon ride to Glendale.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Free agency and the signing of Von Miller don't count as attempting to improve the team?

Sure.   I don’t think I said it didn’t. 

Enjoy it!

Not sure why you think I’m not.  One can be pissed about the 13 seconds and enjoy this team.  They are not mutually exclusive. 

• Like (+1) 1

the OP has pointed out this offseason is in stark contrast to last offseason. Recall that after the Bills lost the 2020 AFC Championship Game, they returned 51 starters... in other words the team essentially decided to stand pat.

51 starters?   there are 53 roster spots and 22 starters.  Maybe 24 if you consider different personnel groups.  

spencer Brown.  Greg Rousseau  Emmanuel sanders.  Mitch Trubisky.  Matt Haack.  And others were new to the roster. 

you are assuming the 13 seconds led to Von Miller and other things this off season.   Agree the off seasons are different.  Last years was an anomaly.  

Edited by 13 Second Prevent Defense
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

This thread is like all those guys saying getting popped for DWI or caught cheating on their wives was "the best thing that ever happened to me!"

Rationalizing Bills failure is what this board does best.

7 hours ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

51 starters?   there are 53 roster spots and 22 starters.  Maybe 24 if you consider different personnel groups.  

spencer Brown.  Greg Rousseau  Emmanuel sanders.  Mitch Trubisky.  Matt Haack.  And others were new to the roster. 

you are assuming the 13 seconds led to Von Miller and other things this off season.   Agree the off seasons are different.  Last years was an anomaly.  

Yes, you know what I meant, 51 players returned.

The Bills essentially did nothing after losing the 2020 AFC Championship game.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl/why-continuity-will-carry-the-buffalo-bills

And there's zero doubt that 13 seconds led to Von Miller as well as Kaiir Elam and Terrel Bernard. That's not an assumption on my part.

On 5/2/2022 at 9:43 PM, Success said:

There is another universe where we held on in that game, and Beane took a different approach to the offseason because of it.

A loss like that can either ruin a team, or make it one of the best ever. Fortunately, we have a GM who treated it as a challenge.  Everything that hurt the Bills in that game and in general has been addressed.  Beane has made a guarantee with every offseason move:  that will not happen again.

The D-line is better, our pass rush is better, our secondary is better, our running game is better, our pass protection is better, our passing game is better.  And yes, our punting and special teams, too.

You can't remove doubt, but you can minimize it.  

13 seconds won't be wide right, or the MCM. Those were exclusively pain.  13 seconds will be remembered fondly as when it really began.

I get and appreciate the sentiment, the potential silver lining.  But as you're seeing already from some of the replies, for some board members it's too soon.

Time heals all wounds, but some wounds require more time. 😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 10:22 PM, Mr. WEO said:

They didn't collapse in those 13 seconds because of a lack of talent on the roster....

I don’t think it would’ve come down to those 13 seconds if we had one more great pass rusher/another serviceable cb though.  Throw Elam and von miller into that defense and we probably have a repeat of our regular season matchup with the chiefs.  

season was pretty much over when tre white went down unfortunately…can’t believe how well Dane Jackson held up and josh Allen had as good a playoffs as anyone…it just wasn’t enough

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don’t think it would’ve come down to those 13 seconds if we had one more great pass rusher/another serviceable cb though.  Throw Elam and von miller into that defense and we probably have a repeat of our regular season matchup with the chiefs.  

season was pretty much over when tre white went down unfortunately…can’t believe how well Dane Jackson held up and josh Allen had as good a playoffs as anyone…it just wasn’t enough

It was a coaching deficit.

The bolded part is funny because it's so obviously false.  Before that last KC game, the Bills were on a 5 game win streak without Tre. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.